THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM RIMFIRE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Shooting  Hop To Forums  Rim Fire Rifles & Pistols    Looking for an accurate .22lr - need help

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for an accurate .22lr - need help
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am looking for a couple of accurate .22lr. Cost is not an issue - These will be used for target shooting, plinking and hunting. I prefer a bolt action.
What do you like?

Posts: 182 | Location: Up the holler in WV | Registered: 01 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is a post in smaall caliber rifles above that discusses this. Seems like Anschutz gets the nod.

Posts: 326 | Location: Mabank, TX | Registered: 23 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If cost is not an issue I would suggest a Cooper.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6611 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Cooper and it would be my pick/recommendation for a high-end accurate .22 rimfire.

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sako Finnfire. No longer in production but used ones pop up from time to time.

Posts: 173 | Location: Michigan, USA | Registered: 25 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Esldude
posted Hide Post
I have owned a few Coopers and Anschutz rifles. I give a slight nod to Anschutz. Especially for lots of use because the Cooper has an oiled finish that isn't as water resistant or tough. They are most beautiful, but just a bit less than practical versus the Annie. Close call though.

Posts: 852 | Location: USA | Registered: 01 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of holzauge
posted Hide Post
I've had several sweet shooting rimfires including a Kimber 82, Rem. and a Cooper but none outshoot my Ruger 77/22 since I replaced the trigger and found its favorite ammunition. BTW, for more than anybody really needs to know about rimfire shooting of any kind check out the rimfirecentral.com forums.

Sei wach!

Posts: 621 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: 06 September 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I had a Ruger 77-22 that could shoot 1/2 inch groups at 50 yards. no shit .Had a 3-9 leopuld.I think I still have paper groups of it.Get one you will love it.

posted Hide Post
Use CCI SGB ammo-SGB stands for small game bullet. It kicks ass and is very accurate

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Winchester Model 52, the newer replicas c. 1990s are surprisingly accurate and well-built.

Posts: 2268 | Location: Westchester, NY, USA | Registered: 02 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can get the Ruger 10/22 target, or build one from the many, many parts that are out there, but beware...you will never be satisfied and never get done changing out components on it.

On the other hand, a good bolt gun like the Kimber, Anchutz, or 77/22 target should be stable and affordable. The Wife won't let me spend the $$ required for a Cooper.
Frowner

sputster

Posts: 760 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a Remington 541-S that was super accurate. A friend of mine wanted it worse than I did so I sold it to him. He sold me his 700 sendero in 270 winchester a couple of years earlier so I hated not to sell it to him but really didn't want to.

Keep yer powder dry and yer knife sharp.

Posts: 582 | Location: Texas City, TX. USA. | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Since I just bought my second one of these and figure that's enough for me, I'll mention the NS 22 for sale on gunbroker. These were made in China mid 90s and use hammer forged barrels. They were stated at the time to be very accurate by quite a few US shooters who tried them. While I haven't worn my first one out shooting from the bench, it is a VERY accurate rifle, especially considering the price which is about $325 delivered to your FFL. As I understand it, the current sellers are selling the remnants of the old stock from the mid 90s.

There are some flies in the ointment however, one of which I consider a positive and one a negative.

The positive "fly" is that the rifle and stock are kind of chunky feeling. The reason that I think this is positive is that it makes a nearly perfect "feeling" representation of practicing with a hunting rifle. We shoot beer bottles at 100 yards with this one from the standing position. So far 4 out of 5 is the best, but 2 is good for us. It ain't as easy as it sounds.

The "negative" fly is the safety is in an odd position on the left side of receiver and would take some getting use to if you used it. Since we are using it mostly for targets at this time, we don't.

Highly recommended, I don't think this gun can be touched for the money.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If cost is not an issue I have a Win. M-63 full blown custom rifle that I just built and it shoots under an inch at 75 yards..I would sell it..It comes complete with a quarter rib, talley 7/8 inch rings that hook up to the quarter rib, also have a Talley peep that hooks up to the quarter rib, scope is a 2.5X Leupold Alaskan with center crosshairs..Stock is exhibition Russian Circassian walnut from Bill Dowtins Oldworldwalnut.com..I can send pictures if your interested...I will sell with or without the scope..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41893 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Anschutz

Posts: 590 | Location: Georgia pine country | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tough call, for sure.
The rifles mentioned are all excellent, and you won't go wrong buying any one of them.
I'll add a couple more. The one Mel Forbes makes is excellent too. JB in SC has one and likes it very much.
I bought a CZ 452 Prestige grade with outstanding wood that shoots far better than it's price dictates. The last group I shot with it measured 1/8" at 50 yards. The only down side with the CZ 452 is that you must do a trigger spring change, and install a new sear to have a top flight rifle. I did that to mine and it IS a keeper. Far less money for the CZ Prestige modified than a Cooper or Annie.

Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
One of the major magazines just tested a Savage and proclaimed it the most accurate 22 long rifle they've ever shot. 4 testers averaged a .229 group, with one shooting a .109. This with factory ammo.

Posts: 15885 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wymple:
This with factory ammo.

Yeah I suppose it would be. Smiler gotcha.

But sure there has been some inaccurate CZ's,Anschutz's, Rugers, ect., but trying all and sundry types and brands of ammo can go from a .410 shotgun pattern, down to a nice tight group. One Anschutz I had was like that, but really liked Rem Yellow Jackets. Weird.

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would like to give you my humble opinion:
I see it the other way. I have a old battered T.A.L.A rifle, a copy of a auto Mossber rifle made in Argentina. With Remington Cyclon is capable od .88 to 1 M.O.A.
Most of the rifles are capable of good accuracy, if you take your time to find the best ammo.
What I do is to buy some diferent ammo and find wich have the best accuracy.
JMHO
Martin

Double Rifle Shooters Society member from Argentina.
My doubles:
.577 Snider by W.Richards.
.58" ML by Pedersoli

Posts: 358 | Location: Bahia Blanca - Argentina | Registered: 14 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
One of the major magazines just tested a Savage and proclaimed it the most accurate 22 long rifle they've ever shot. 4 testers averaged a .229 group, with one shooting a .109. This with factory ammo.

Do you remember the magazine and model of savage tested? I would like to read the article and find out more.

Posts: 115 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 25 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not offhand, but it looked like my son's .17 HMR with the laminated thumbhole stock. We have a boatload of magazines at work, as one of our guys has his FFL, and sells a lot of stuff by having the temptations lying around.

quote:
This with factory ammo.

Yeah I suppose it would be. gotcha.

------------------

Cripes! I meant regular stuff not target match ammo!

Posts: 15885 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of lofter
posted Hide Post
I bought a Savage classic model for 400 including tax and nics fee out the door. at 50 yds it's a .5 to .7 shooter with CCI stingers. It's the only ammo i've tested. I like it.

Anything worth doing is worth doing right the first time.

Posts: 411 | Location: Southeastern Pa | Registered: 30 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wheelchair Bandit
posted Hide Post
Anschutz is pretty hard to beat in terms of accuracy and quality.You can get them in various versions from their economy rifle ($350)to their fanciest sporters and target rifles ($2000).I have the cheap ones and the expensive ones,and they are all scarry accurate.

WB.

"It's frustrating that we have callers to C-SPAN that know more about what's going on than Larry King, and more about economics than Obama and McCain combined."-Rush Limbaugh

Posts: 50 | Location: Obviously you're not a golfer | Registered: 22 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't buy a 10-22 for accuracy.
You could chase that dog forever and dump literally thousands of dollars onto one of those things and as was said above, never be satisfied -- further you'll never see the money again.

My Anschutz is 'another typical anschutz' unbelievably accurate.

The Cooper rifles come with accuracy guarantee, that's something to consider.

Also as noted above, there are some very nice custom built rimfire rifles which you can shoot or have the builder shoot, and accept or reject based on the particular rifle's accuracy.

I think if I were in the market today, and cost were not an issue, I would be looking at custom built rifles -- first looking for something that's already built in a style that's right for me, that's accurate with ammunition that's appropriate for my field use.

I would Definitely be looking at the Cooper Custom Classic Rifle. Take that as a cost standard (again, consider the accuracy guarantee) and shop around for something that suits your fancy.

--Tinker

Posts: 802 | Location: Palomino Valley, NV | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ruger is not the place to start if you're looking for accuracy.
CMP rifles, if you can get one.
Anschutz is a good bet.
CZ 452 with an easy trigger job is another.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Look around for a second BRNO Mod. 2. The older the better.

Posts: 1224 | Location: Western Australia | Registered: 31 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i just have to my 2 pennies in here about custom 1022s..... the one i have is so accurate it's scarey..... it shoots federal bulk packed ammo into one hole at 50 yards and when i'm really trying the hole is about .22 caliber! i got the barrel and stock set from midway a few years ago... it's a laminated thumbhole stock and a fluted heavy barrel that says midway on it but i'm sure it was made by green mountain... i took it to volquartsen customs a couple of years ago for a target hammer and they did a trigger job too and put in an exact edge extractor and a buffer... i sent the bolt to randy at cpc and he reworked it.... all in all i don't have over $400 in the thing and if i want something hit whithin 60-70 yards i know it will do it!!

One of Us
Picture of K9 Bandit
posted Hide Post
I have bought two old Walther KKM in a gunshow for next to nothing and they shoot like expensive Anschutz. Wink

"capturing bin Laden is not a top priority use of American resources"
Bush, September 06

"Those weapons of mass destruction have got to be here somewhere."
"Maybe under here?"
Bush, March 04

Posts: 1025 | Location: Jacksonville | Registered: 15 July 2008Reply With Quote