New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cool 22's that you just can't love
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
There are some 22's for me that are way cool but I just can't make myself love.

For me this is the Remington Nylon 66. Love the old cool ads with the cold wet hand grasping one while checking the trap-line. Or the one with the shooter on the mountian of wooden blocks, each with a hole in it (I think his name was Tom Frey).

These were typically on the back of Outdoor Life and Boys Life in the 60's.

I've had 3 and all were totally jam proof and light sweet handling. Looked way cool for sure. Though never had one Apache Black with Chrome barrel & reciever. Guess I was on the wrong side of the tracks for that.

But that hollow stock & bolt sliding in plastic just felt too "Mattel" for me. Secondly they were all poor for accuracy. Sure would work on animals in a trap or blocks 18ft in the air. But forget bug hole groups (or even 1/2 dollar groups) off the bench at 25yds. The barrel & reciever (sheet metal shroud) aren't even tightly held together. Any scope would not have repeatable zeros.

But having said all the bad things they are still very appealing. Probably now have to go buy another. Never know when I might run a trap-line or find a mountain of wooden blocks with no holes in 'em.

Pete A.

Posts: 107 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 26 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a Nylon 66 and sold it. Not my cup of tea.
But, I will give the guys at Reminton who designed, developed, and produced the 66 huge Kudos for their efforts. The thing is a design masterpiece, flawless in operation. But, I guess I looked at it as some kind of toy gun; and I only shot it a few times as I could never find a niche for it, mainly because of its poor accuracy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lads,

I owned one about 40yrs ago. Butt-feed model w/a cheap 4X scope. This was after shooting 4 position indoor 22 NRA match Rem 40X W/16X scope (the whole thing weighed 18lbs). HOLY WAH!!! what a difference, light as a feather.

I bought it used for $35 and sold it 5 yrs later for $40. Bought one a few months ago (10rnd clip feed auto) for $225. Nothing but jams, so I swapped it off in a trade and basically got my money back.

OK, now... ugly, plastic, weird 22lr rifles... how about the old Charter Arms "Survivor" (now made by Henry, I believe). Everything (including a 50rnd box of ammo) went into the floating butt stock. Ergonomics? thumbdown accuracy thumbdown, chick-appeal thumbdown, but I still HAD to have one!! ...sold it too.

Guess what... if I saw either (or both) at a good price, I'd probably have them again!!

Mike

Si vis pacem... parabellum

Posts: 236 | Location: MI's beautiful UP | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My friend has one of those back pack AR Survival jobs that breaks down and fits in the floating stock.Kind of cool I guess but I hate the look,fit/feel and the trigger is without a doubt the worst I've ever encountered.

Posts: 369 | Location: Adirondacks | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lads,

OK, this is a bit off base, but thought I'd pass it along. Will also post something similar on the pistol site.

I had occassion to handle the new Walther pistols (2-toned, silver/black) the silver is an aluminum shroud, and the black is mostly plastic. So I asked the owner if I could dry fire it, he said ok. Worked the slide (awkward, using 2 "grips" on either side of slide) then sighted in on a circle at the end of the shop and started taking up slack. About half way through the trigger pull, I stopped to see if the safety was on... trigger was "stacking" at about 10lbs at this point. Nope... safety off... pulled again while watching the front sight oscillate wildly about point of aim. When the sear finally tripped with an unimpressive, plastic, "pang" sound, it must have been at 16lbs!!! Several repeats showed similar results!

It did, however, have a wonderfully comfortable grip.

Go check these out... maybe the one I held was a fluke.

Mike

Posts: 236 | Location: MI's beautiful UP | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A 7th generation owner of one of the real old Plantations I hunt had(and his son may still have) a removable magazine, Bolt Action version of the Nylon 66. It may have been the Nylon 77 - I don't remember. He used it to Kill dogs that any "new to the far away adjoining area" neighbors turned loose to harrass the livestock. Worked right well on Squirrels when you leaned it against a tree. It served it's intended purpose well and I readily admit that I liked it.

Brown stock and Blue hardware which was slowly assuming a scratched "patina" Big Grin of it's own. It set on his veranda for easy access and was always loaded. Kids were taught to leave it alone and none ever went near it, because they minded. I'll guess that is as rare today as the old rifle, since people now call warming their britches a "Beating" - Pitiful!!!

I liked the old Nylon 77, but never could get a hankering for the Feather-100(or I think that is what it was called). It was a semi-auto with removable 100 cartridge rotary magazines. Everytime I saw one I got a mental image of a dude toting it, with 8 additional fully loaded magazines, stowed in the pockets of his black jungle utillities, going in the woods "Squirrel Hunting". Not a rifle that I need, but could see a Military application for it.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Romanian Trainer!

Posts: 117 | Location: Utah | Registered: 31 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
C.C.

At least they use a "wood-like" substance for the stock!!! Probably laminated chip-board!!! Big Grin

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gotta admit that tool kit rattling around in the buttstock is cool.

I think if they had a consistent scope rail they would be a real deal.

Gotta love that look of ax & file use on each and every one.

Pete A.

Posts: 107 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 26 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pete,

My Romainan came w/a survival kit in the buttstock! The scope rail is actually a mount for a fishing reel, and the front sight can be replaced w/a pully and sight cover for trolling!! The buttstock holds flies!!!

Had a photo of mine so equipped, but someone ripped it off and sent it to "Ripley's" rotflmo

Mike (fishless)

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I don't like bolt guns with a clip hanging below flush....I just can't stand the looks of them.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
S&@ 63. No matter what I did, I couldn't get any better then shot gun groups out of it. Traded up to a Colt Trooper, and thumbnail at 15 yards.
Traded up to a 252 FA, and, if I do it, under a 1/2 inch at 50 yards.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ruger 10/22...massively over-rated. $0.02

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Fun as hell, though...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ruger Single Six, it's such a neat idea to have a cheap 22 LR to plink and practice with and the 22 Magnium in case you need to "go big". The only problem is they seem to shoot better with the mag if they shoot good at all.

On a similar note the 22 LR and .410 or 20 ga combo survival guns seem like a neat idea until you actually pick one up

Posts: 967 | Location: Michigan, USA | Registered: 28 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I bought a Daisy 22 autoloader at Walmart in 1989 for $29.95. It does go bang but not much good for prescision work with crude, thick plastic sights. Now, the Remington 12 pump that Dad taught me to shoot with is a different story. It was made in 1917 and his dad also taught him yo shoot with it. Big Grin

Posts: 5701 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nordrseta:

what planet are you from. The 10/22 is the greatest thing since smokeless powder.

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
The 10-22.....lets see

They are short
They have a brick trigger
But if if buy one for just about -$200 you can throw away every piece of junk off it except the bare gutted reciever and spend $500-$1000 and have a half decient rifle.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
It seems the 10/22 is a love it or hate it gun. Mine is stock except for the scope, rings and bolt release lever. It keeps rounds touching at 50 yards. I've seen others that don't. As far as the Single Six goes most 22's that have both cylinders have barrels that are too loose for .22 LR bullets. The Heritage Rough Riders have the same problem.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dsmit50:
quote:
Originally posted by nordrseta:

what planet are you from. The 10/22 is the greatest thing since smokeless powder.
Smile when you say that Cool Like I said "$0.02" so your mileage may vary. I added less that $100 worth of parts - bolt hold open, mag latch, Volq. target hammer and springs, and a Williams aperture sight kit - to my International but it was still just a two inch gun at 50 yards (even when it was wearing a Leupold 4x RF Special). A fella can spend hundreds to thousands of dollars making his 10/22 into something special...or at least expensive. I sold mine for a fair price to an Iraq vet on my team who loves it; of course his other 22 is a box stock 10/22. My off-the-shelf CZ452 shoots into 3/4 inch at 50 yards wearing the 4x Leupold and using ammo I can afford on a regular basis.

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Somehow I get the sneaking suspicion that this would be a disappointing shooter too, but I suspect my next 10/22 project will be something like this:

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mark,

Hey... wasn't that in the last James Bond movie!!! Wink

Looks cool... is it really a "transformer"???

Mike

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
It is a combination of two different stocks, a Butler Creek folding stock and the discontinued Butler Creek "Backpacker" stock. The "Backpacker" forearm folds and the barrel then can be removed. I don't know how accurate it would be with a scope so if I do something like this I'll just have sights on the barrel, but if it would work it looks like a nifty little package.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The 10-22.....lets see

They are short. They have a brick trigger.
But if if buy one for just about -$200 you can throw away every piece of junk off it except the bare gutted receiver and spend $500-$1000 and have a half decent rifle.

I spent $1600 on mine. Not a single Ruger part on it...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Every time you go to RFC, mine is the Banner rifle (left side), tricked out 10/22, only $850 and much too pretty to shoot........r in s.

Posts: 866 | Location: Puget Sound country | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by homebrewer:
quote:
The 10-22.....lets see

They are short. They have a brick trigger.
But if if buy one for just about -$200 you can throw away every piece of junk off it except the bare gutted receiver and spend $500-$1000 and have a half decent rifle.

I spent $1600 on mine. Not a single Ruger part on it...

Just like a NASCAR Toyota Camry!

Collins
Airgunner / 458 SOCOMer/ 45-70er / 458 Lotter

www.actionairgun.com LIVE NOW

Posts: 2327 | Location: The Sunny South! St. Augustine, FL | Registered: 29 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a Chinese 22lr I don't know what model or maker all the markings were in chinese it was a single shot bolt action and very crudely made, cheap plywood stock, horrible machine marks, ugly wouldn't even begin to describe it. I bought it at a flea market for $25 as nasty as the thing was it shot remarkably well 1/2 at 50 yards with CCI solids it was a total mind blower. I ended up giving it to a poor neighbor kid so he could kill off pack rats. The kid was so happy he started tearing up when I handed him the rifle. I ran into the boy (young man now )a while back I didn't even recognize him but he sure remembered me. He told me that that cheap rifle was the best thing that anyone had ever done for him that it taught him many lessons about responsibility and that the little rifle fed his family more than once. I assume that he potted a few local does with it. I don't mind he grew up very poor and I am sure that his family needed the meat. He is newly released from the navy and is expecting his first child he still has the rifle and plans on handing it to his first borne. It really made me stop and think that such an insignificant thing like that cheap rifle would make such a difference in a young kids life. I guess that the $25 I paid for that rifle was a good investment.

Posts: 509 | Location: Flathead county Montana | Registered: 28 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
Looks like just the ticket if you make it a habit of flying poorly maintained aircraft over sparsely habitated areas. Wink

quote:
Originally posted by Mark:

Posts: 1912 | Location: Charleston, WV, USA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
When I was in college I had a Browning .22 auto grade I that was one of those take down actions. It looked supercool and was fun to shoot if you would tighten up the barrel nut very tight it would shoot better. But it never got better It was a 2-3" group at 50 yards that looked cool.

I traded it for a Blackhawk .357 that got traded for a SuperBlackhawk that got traded for a ........... and on and on.

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wetdog, Great story Best one so far today. DW

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
Interesting comments about the S&W 63 and the Ruger Single Six.

I had (son now has it) a 63 that had received a great trigger job and a new set of Hogue grips on it that was a hoot to shoot and provided reasonable accuracy for it's purpose. Our family probably put 5-6 thousand rounds through it and it's still going strong.

At one time I had a Colt New Frontier 22/22mag with a 7.5" barrel and adjustable sites. It was probably the most accurate 22lr handgun I have ever owned even when compared to a Thompson Contender with a 22lr barrel. Foolishly I traded it for ..............can't remember what, but what a mistake!!!!!!!!!!!! I searched for a new one to replace it but no luck and all the used ones were very used and spendy. I had a client pleasantly surprised at some of the work I did for him and offer to buy me a shooter as a thank you. I opted for a Ruger Single Six in a 6.5" barrel with adjustable sights as a possible replacement for the Colt. After receiving it I did the trigger spring tune up on it and took it out to sight it in at 25 yards. As we were getting ready to leave the desert area where we were shooting a bird settled on a sagebrush about 30 yards away and my son centerpunched it. It has turn out to offer the same accuracy as the Colt but not the refinement and balance.

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got the Heritage Rough Rider .22/.22 mag bought it a couple of years ago brand new for $125 dollars. What I like best about it is on the "Commandments of Safety" page of the manual amongst all the politically correct warnings about keeping it away from children is this little warning Locking your firearm might result in your death due to slow accessibility LOL I love it.

Even my spell checker wants to replace Obama, it just doesn't have any suggestions.
jerry.baldwin06@comcast.net

Posts: 354 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: 08 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
How about those old 9-shot H&R .22 revolvers (model 929?)? When I was a kid I thought one of those would be the coolest ever. A revolver that held NINE shots, wow!

Then one of my uncles friends let me run around with one for a few days. I was so disappointed. The cylinder fit so poorly it was tough to open, tough to close and as I recall it had a few other reliability issues in the short time I had it. The trigger was horrible and I couldn't hit anything with it.

I remember thinking at the time I had cap guns there were made better. It just had a cheap feel to it.

Now I have a 10-shot m617, everything the H&R should have been plus one extra shot.

I'm so old that I still have some skills even without an internet connection or electricity.

Posts: 2506 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey guys,
I also had one of black/silver Remington Nylon 66's as my "first gun." When I still had eyes that could see open sights, it was pretty accurate. But.....once I started shooting scoped rifles, it lost ALL its accuracy. As already pointed out, the barrel is VERY loosely pinned to the receiver. That seemed to work ok w/ open sights as the rear sight's attached to the barrel. Accuracy goes to pot w/ scopes, though; since the scope is mounted to the receiver, there's no shot to shot consistency. Wish there was an easy way to remedy this since is was a very sweet shooting gun, otherwise.

Good luck and good hunting.

Posts: 491 | Location: Springhill, LA | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wetdog2084:
I had a Chinese 22lr...as nasty as the thing was it shot remarkably well 1/2 at 50 yards with CCI solids it was a total mind blower...

Would that be a JW-15? The Chinese clone of the great Brno #1. Bought one at Navy Arms back in the 90's when they had a storefront in WV. The salesman raved about the accuracy for the price as did a customer who was buying what he said was his second one. Think it was under $100.
I was amazed how accurate it was with all the machine marks, softwood stock stained "walnut" complete with a painted on ebony tip. I made a plate for under the guard bow to fix the side wobble in the trigger, tapped it for a rear guard screw like a M98 and bedded it - with bondo!
Used it in the sporter class in an IR50 match and in spite of all the head shaking and snickers before the match, with decent ammo was in the top ten.
Used it on squirrels for years, today one or the other of my two boys has it constantly. Picked up another a buddy couldn't sell at a yard sale for $25 w/o a mag. J&G sales had mags at the time for about $15 - I bought several. That second rifle was marked Interarms.
As well as they shoot I still for some reason relegate them to the back of the rack. Vanity I guess.

An old man sleeps with his conscience, a young man sleeps with his dreams.

Posts: 777 | Location: United States | Registered: 06 March 2006Reply With Quote