New
Find
Notify
Tools

cz varmint
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
just purchased a cz varmint 452, is anyone shooting one of these. 22lr. what ammo does it like, anything I should know. how do you like them. have yet to fire mine, so can only say the factory test target looks good.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Head over to www.rimfirecentral.com but dont forget to return to Accurate Reloading!

Posts: 197 | Location: Auckland, New Zealand | Registered: 19 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hikerbum
posted Hide Post
I bought one for my son. FANTASTIC gun.

Beautiful wood, fit and finsih. AND it shoots just about anyting into dime size overlapping holes.

You will be happy with this purchase. For a 22 rifle, I highly recommend the CZ's

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Posts: 2585 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
this rifle shoots just about any ammo reliably and accurately.

my only beef is the rings; one needs to research this item as some ring manufacturers say their rings will fit, but they are not being totally truthfull.

I think C Z should have done a better job of manufacturing the dovetail receiver to the north american market.

overall though, a superb functioning and accurate .22!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks for replies, it is good to know that everyone is happy with their cz. I will let you know how I make out with mine.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Best of luck lookout, see the post "serves him right" below.
This CZ Varmit shoots nothing we've tried any better than about 1 1/2" or worse at 60metres bench rest, with a target scope. Although it hasn't had a perfectly calm day yet. But the owner is a long time wind reader and the groups are dodgie vertically also.

And the wood is very very plain, as in cheap air gun style. Yer couldn't give me one.

I can hardly stand the whinging " I should have bought that Kimber I wanted." Or, "Maybe I should get an Anchutz". etc etc. (Poor barsted)

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
put a scope on the other night and went to indoor range. range is max at 20 yards. shot 5 different loads. 3 showed some promise, 2 were the pits. 20 yards doesn't really tell me much. weather has been so bad here with wind and snow and rain that I have not been able to shoot outdoors yet,hopefully that will give me something meaningful to judge the rifle by. will keep all posted. lookout

one of us
posted Hide Post
on the ring issue. i believe that only the 452 american has standard american 3/8ths dovetails. i think(????) all the other 452s have european dovetails which are (again, i think??) 11mm. i had a heck of a time getting any rings to work on my 452 lux (22 mag.) i finally bought some of the cz, armour plated, bulletproof rings made for the 11mm dovetail. regular rimfire rings(3/8ths) work great on my 452 american. at least that's the way it was 5 or 6 years ago when i bought these rifles. my experience only...things may be different now.

BTW...ALL my cz's, rimfire and centerfire, shoot better than i do

blaming guns for crime is like blaming silverware for rosie o'donnell being fat

Posts: 1213 | Location: new braunfels, tx | Registered: 04 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lookout,

When you try to find what ammo works best in your CZ, include Wolf Match Target in the test. It shoots best in my CZ, a 452 American.

Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My CZ 452 American likes the cheapest Federal American Eagle. It also shoots the Federal pistol match very well. I have not tried any of the high priced match bullets. It seems to prefer standard velocity more than high velocity in any brand. It doesn't like yello jackets or any of the hyper velocity stuff I have tried.

Posts: 1016 | Location: Happy Valley, Utah | Registered: 13 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
what yardage do you folks sight your 22's in at? I was planning on 50 yard zero. any suggestions or comments.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I zero at 50 yards, but some zero at 65, which may give you a better trajectory profile out to max range for a 22 Rimfire. With Wolf Match Target, zeroed at 50 yards, I'm about 8" low at 100. I never shoot anything that far, but do a mental calculation of high to hold over in between 50 and what distance I'm shooting out to 100.

Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
had the cz out for it's first real shoot at gophers. shot fine with federals, but the damn trigger, too much creep, too heavy of pull. will try to solve both problems tonight. what did you other cz shooters find in their out of the box, trigger weight and creep. any hints, other than follow the book?

Earl

one of us
posted Hide Post
My mates all got the trigger worked on by a Smith, and it was worth doing. The bloke I've mentioned who was very disapointed in his accuacy with the cz varmint, restocked it, bedded it, all to no avail. Eventually got the Smith to set the barrel back one turn.

It has good days and bad days, I don't think it likes the way he keeps changing ammo, in trials, without giving the barrel time to settle in to the different goop. He was more happy yesterday, and said the trick might be that he cleaned the barrel out. But we're not supposed to do that are we?
This same Smith lapped his own Brno barrel, and it started to shoot very well with cheap PMC moderators, made in Mexico.

Anyway the good part is my 77-22 cleaned them all up standing no rest at 30metres, and held it's own off the bench out to 100 metres. Smiler

The odd rifle out is a target model looking "Stirling" made in the Philippines, a cheap brand that seems to shoot a little better than most Brno's here.
Cripes, even a test report on a Anchutz semi-target silhouette rifle done here by our champ BR shooter woudn't shoot HV ammo well.

It's a crap shoot.

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks JAL, I did all that I could. trigger is alot lighter, but still too much creep for my liking. hi ho hi ho off to the smith I go.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
order an Eric Brooks trigger kit.
Look at rimfirecentral.com.
My 452 American had a heavy, gritty trigger and with the kit, and a little trial and error, I have a crisp, clean light break and it cost me $14 and about a half hour in the garage.
Rimfirecentral is a great resource.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
thinkingman, thanks for the info.. I believe if I cheat on the milk money, I can save enough to cover that kit cost. thanks again, I will be on it tomorrow.

One of Us
Picture of Reiter
posted Hide Post
Can I expect some kind of difference in accuracy/trigger from the 452 Varmint (heavy barrel) to 452 Lux (25" barrel) ?

I found some differences in trigger and accuracy between Ruger 10/22 and 10/22T (heavy barrel, better accuracy and trigger), thats why I´m asking about the CZ´s.

Thanks,

Reiter.

Posts: 130 | Location: South America | Registered: 26 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My varmint has plain Turkish walnut, but shoots great with Remington Subsonic ammo. I have shot the IR50/50 target "clean" at 25 yds off the bench with a Leupold 6.5-20X scope. It is also deadly on squirrels out to 95 yds, my longest shot to date.

Trigger originally had too much creep and pull weight was too heavy. I installed a "Brooks kit" (go to the rimfire central forum and read in the CZ section about it). Now the trigger is crisp, and breaks at 1 lb, 12 oz. I also was unhappy with the overtravel and did one of the modifications mentioned on RFC using a piece of rubber tubing over the trigger spring.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

one of us
posted Hide Post
JAL, you should tell your friend that he is absolutely supposed to clean his barrel between different types of 22lr ammo. They all use different kinds of lubricant. For an accurate rifle ( a la the old BR50 types) you are supposed to clean the barrel, shoot 10 rounds to "condition", then shoot 10 rounds for group. Then for different ammo, do the same again ie. clean, condition, and shoot for group. It is a real pain, but worth it for mazximum accuracy.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10514 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lookout:
what yardage do you folks sight your 22's in at? I was planning on 50 yard zero. any suggestions or comments.

If i'm shooting high velocity rounds I will usually site in at 65 yards. If it's for a standard velocity or surpressed set up we usually use 50 yards.

Much of our shooting out west is at the longer distances even with the 22 lr and the 65 yard set up works out better. If your shooting is all closer range I would go with the 50 yards to keep the trajectory flatter for your max range.

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
JAL, you should tell your friend that he is absolutely supposed to clean his barrel between different types of 22lr ammo.

Thanks Peter. I did tell the old coot that it may take quite a few shots to settle down after cleaning, and when changing ammo. I notice he still shoots different brands one after another.

But sometimes he'll go say from Fed gold match or somesuch, to cheap Win T22 and get an immediate good 10 shot group. But we are not a highly compeditive club anyway. He just thought that by buying a cz varminter they'd all go thru the one hole.

We are all ex full-bore shooters and a bit new to RF shooting, but the fella next to me with a Brno Mod.2 just keeps blasting away with Win powerpoints even thou I proved to him he can do a lot better with sk rifle match.
You can't help some people.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
ammo update; my cz loves dynapoints. followed by american eagles, Xpert, and then federal champions. Xpets and champions shot almost the same.

one of us
posted Hide Post
You've all been waiting for this. The shame of it all.
This fella here with the cz Varmint has a dearer rifle than me, a much bigger better scope than me, it's worked over and bedded in a target stock, he was using dearer ammo, SK plus or something, and the old coot outshot me at 90m, 60m and even standing offhand at 30m.

Wouldn't it make you sick?

One of Us
Picture of K9 Bandit
posted Hide Post
the 452 is the best .22 rimfire varmint rifle money can buy. thumb

"capturing bin Laden is not a top priority use of American resources"
Bush, September 06

"Those weapons of mass destruction have got to be here somewhere."
"Maybe under here?"
Bush, March 04

Posts: 1025 | Location: Jacksonville | Registered: 15 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
have been using my cz on gophers all spring and summer. made one 3-day shoot, cannot say that I did much to dent the population. the more I shoot that little rifle the more I like it. also had a ruger 10/22 and a kimber along, shot the cz 80% 0f the time.