New
Find
Notify
Tools

Building a 10/22
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've owned a 10/22 for a number of years and its been a fun little rifle. Lately I've been thinking of upgrading the performance and I was wondering if you guys had any recommendations. I would like to go with a .920 blued, non fluted barrel and a synthetic stock. I was looking at the Butler Creek varmint combo from Cabela's. I'd also like a bigger scope, right now I just have a Tasco 4x32. The BSA Sweet 22 6-18x40 looks like a nice outfit. Another thing I was looking at is a stabilzation module from Cabela's. Is there any noticeable advantage to these and do they really work?
Is the Butler Creek stuff decent quality, or are there any favored brands with the 10/22 crowd? I would like to keep things under $400. For now I'm more focused on the barrel, stock, and scope. I might do hammer mods later. Its already pretty accurate as is, but I would like to make a real tack driver out of it.

Posts: 192 | Registered: 05 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you will visit www.rimfirecentral.com they can give or you can get all the information that your heart desires. Most of the people that hang out over there have at least one custom or modified 10/22. Not that you can't get the info at this site. I've been visiting over there for several years and have learned a lot of things about 10/22 and moat other rimfires.
Good luck
Larry
My only 10/22 has a Midway SS barrel/fajen thumbhole sporter stock/ reworked trigger to 1.5lbs.

Posts: 75 | Location: Ashdown, Ar | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
1022 customs are a ball!! mine has a midway futed barrel and thumbhole laminated stock they had on sale that yr. about 5 yrs ago... since then i've bought a volquartsen target hammer and had them install it an work on the trigger.. it is smooth as glass and breaks just as clean. also got a buffer from them and sent my bolt randy at CPC for him to do his magic on it... i was at the range yesterday shooting one hole groups at 60 yrds i could cover with my fingertip.....oh ya 1022 customs are fun!! good luck and be sure to look at rimfirecentral for all the ideas and help you might need..........

one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
Just buy a Volquartsen and be done with it. Big Grin Lou

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3313 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A buddy of mine is a 10/22 fanattic, and has built several over the years. He has had the best results with the Green Mountain Bull Barrels in terms of accuracy. He has used both Laminated Wood Thumbhole Stocks, a Volquartsen Monte Carlo Laminated Wood Stock, and a Butler Creek Monte Carlo Synthetic Stock.

As per the Scope in my opinion you can only shoot as good as you can see your intended target. To me the #1 priority is a Scope that has an Adjustable Objective so that Parallax can be eliminated at the ranges the .22 LR is normally used at. As per the BSA Scopes, well I have never been a huge fan of those, except for an older Japanese made BSA Platinum Target Scope a buddy had that was actually quite clear.

Some of the injection molded synthetic stocks are quite flimsy, and of the ones I looked at (not on a gun) the CoreLite seemed to be quite stiff. I personally prefer Laminated Wood as it seems to offer a little more weight, which goes hand in hand with the Heavy Bull Barrels for better stability (again at least to me).

As per the recommendation of checking out Rimfire Central, there is a wealth of info on that site about the 10/22, and modifications that can be done buy the owner.

Good luck

Larry