Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Smith and Wesson Model 22A
 Login/Join

posted
Does anyone have anything to say about the S&W 22A?
I have been looking for a good pistol to start shooting bullseye competition. I read a review that said they got .60" groups at 25 yards with the 5.5" bull barrel. I need a pistol that can shoot that accurate out to 50 yards thou. Has anyone had such success with them? Has anyone shot the 7" fluted barrel? Has anyone seen a place that sells after market barrels for them?

Posts: 16 | Location: Dearborn, Michigan | Registered: 30 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Geroge, If you do a search, you will see that I am a big fan of the S&W 22 guns. They are very accurate (with the red dot sight), X ring accuracy with just about everything off a rest. Having said that, I don't think you will see many on the line in a match. The trigger is just not as good as it needs to be for bullseye shooting. If you want to use it as a start, to see if you like bullseye, go ahead, it is not an expensive gun, and it is a fine all around gun. If you do get serious about bullseye, you will almost certainly wind up with a different gun, an old High Standard or a S&W 41. When it comes to off hand shooting, ergonomics like grip and trigger are far more important than "inherent" accuracy, which a lot of guns possess eg. Rugers. I use a 5.5 in barrel. If you are using a red dot sight, barrel length doesn't matter.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10510 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I already do shoot bullseye. I was just excepted the invitation to join a team. As of right now I use another members pistols, he has both high stardards and model 41s. The problem is this means I can't shoot when he is not there. I need to know if the 22A will be able to compete with the high stardards and Model 41s I am going to have to compete against.

Posts: 16 | Location: Dearborn, Michigan | Registered: 30 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I dont think the S&W 22 will compete with the 41's or High Standards. The S&W 22 is a "plinker", not really intended for Bullseye.

However...if you want to start with something less expensive but..very much competitive...Try finding a used Ruger with a good trigger. The Rugers can hold their own in bullseye very well.

Posts: 44 | Location: Key Biscayne, Fl | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I started shooting NRA Bullseye in 1968.
Still have my Heavy Barrel S&W Mod 41.
It would still be my number one pick.

If you are on a budget go with a Ruger, or try to find another shooter with a S&W for sale.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I just went and picked up a MKII. I would have liked a model 41 but thats well beyond my price range. Now I got to get it to the gunsmith to get the insides worked over.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought one and I regretted it from day one, My example was pure junk misfired jammed stovepiped you name it and it did it, all ammo diffrent mags clean and dirty. But that wasn't the worst, that happened when the little hook at the rear of the barrel ASSY that locks into the reciever broke off, BECAUSE IT WAS POT METAL so back to the factory it went where it stayed for about 3 months. I got it back and while the reciever was fixed it still jammed all the time.

At that point I was fed up so I sold it at a huge loss, I now own a Ruger MkII it's three times the gun the 22A was.

In retrospect I wouldn't have been upset if I had bought a Jennings or a Raven that was built and functioned in such a manner, but a S&W come on.

----------------------------------------

If you waste your time a talkin' to the people who don't listen
To the things that you are sayin' who do you thinks gonna hear
And if you should die explainin' how the thing they complain about
Or the things they could be changing who do you thinks gonna care

Waylon Jennings

Posts: 329 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 19 February 2006Reply With Quote