THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM RIMFIRE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Shooting  Hop To Forums  Rim Fire Rifles & Pistols    Azimuth Technology 10/22 Barreled Action

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Azimuth Technology 10/22 Barreled Action
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Full page color advertisements in the American Rifleman convinced me to try to assemble a high quality, very accurate 10/22. I ordered an AZPT-22 barreled action from Azimuth’s distributor Delta Arsenal. This included their bolt and bolt handle. An aftermarket composite stock and Timney trigger completes the gun. First shooting was dismal with multiple quality brands of ammo, so I changed scope and mounts. No improvement, again using good ammo (Tenex, Center-x, Midas+, Edge, Wolfs, etc.) and dozens of 10 shot groups at 50 yards.

Azimuth replaced the barreled action after multiple missed promises and some time lapse. The replacement was no better. Same extensive testing, including a direct side-by-side comparison with another moderately accurate custom 10/22 rifle. Azimuth asked me to return the barreled action for testing and shortly afterward said they would return my money. The distributor (Kim at Delta Arsenal) was polite, professional, and prompt with follow up’s. The consultant I worked with (Mark at Schindel Associates) was also good to deal with and returned my misc. expenses.

While this exercise in frustration was a major disappointment, using up time and patience, my opinion is as follows:
1) The distributor and consultant acted in a business-like manner and should not be blamed for my disappointment in this dealing.
2) Azimuth Technology appears to have better advertising than the quality/accuracy of their product:
CNC Machined Receiver
Integrated Picatinny Rail
Dual Internal Bolt Track
Milled Recoil Spring Channel
Milled, Heat Treated 17-4 V Block
Hydralap Match Grade Barrel
Enhanced Bolt
Stainless Steel Firing Pin
TGT Bentz Chamber

3)Aximuth, while having a long history of high quality manufacturing and dealing with US Government contracts, appears to have no experience or knowledge of how to deal with the public in the retail environment.

4)Product quality did not meet expectations.

NRA Benefactor Member
US Navy Veteran

Posts: 1063 | Location: Brownstown, Michigan | Registered: 19 April 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Great report, and useful, too.
What could Azimuth be thinking marketing a deficient product to the accuracy segment???

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16419 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been seriously thinking about making a 10/22 from their components.
You saved me a lot of money, thanks.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2638 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have you thought about barrel/receiver lockup? Many years ago I threaded the barrel to fit the threaded/modified receiver. made quite a difference with a new Shilen stainless match 16 twist barrel.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5503 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim, The barreled action came as a unit (both times).

NRA Benefactor Member
US Navy Veteran

Posts: 1063 | Location: Brownstown, Michigan | Registered: 19 April 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, but was it the standard dovetail fit?

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5503 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good point. I'm kinda new to 10/22 builds but have shot them for years. So, to answer your question it is "I don't know".

NRA Benefactor Member
US Navy Veteran