New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rem 541 Question
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I picked up a Remington 541 today with iron sights and birch stock. Paid $125 for it. It is in very good shape, even the bore is great. Problem? I can not find it cataloged anywhere. They have the 541 S, T, X. But nothing on this one. Can you help me ID this thing?

Never allow the perfect to be the enemy of the necessary.

Posts: 1542 | Location: Anchorage AK | Registered: 03 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yep it looks to me like a Remington Model 581.

The Remington Model 581 was a lower cost version of the Remington Model 541S.

The 581 had the birch stock. A smaller profile barrel with open sights, a non adjustable trigger and was not drilled & tapped for scope bases but just had the 3/8" dovetailed receiver.

Actually Remington had discontinued the Model 581 for a few years and when it was reintroduced it was called the Model 581S but was basically the same gun as the 5811 as far as I know.

Remington also made a Tube Feed version of the 580 series the 582 if I remember right.

A buddy of mine just bought 3 of these rifles last spring, a Right Hand Model 581, a Left Hand Model 581 and a Right Hand 582.

Larry

PS $125.00 was a STEEL. My buddy paid over twice that for each of the ones he bought this spring.

One of Us
Picture of billinthewild
posted Hide Post
581, 541, whatever. They are excellent shooters. Years ago I bought a 581 for my daughter as a starter. Cut, re shaped and refinished the stock, (in a way that allowed reattachment as she grew older, which we did), had my gunsmith cut the barrel, put a Bushnell 3-9 scope on it and it is a tack driver......good luck with yours. tu2

"When you play, play hard; when you work, don't play at all."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 4263 | Location: Pinetop, Arizona | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I too actually built a semi custom Remington Model 581 years ago. I too had the barrel shortened and recrowned. I didn't modify the original stock but rather replaced it with a Bishop Walnut Classic Style Stock. Yes it was a good shooter, as was the 541S I had.

Larry

one of us
posted Hide Post
Back around 1975/1976 the Rem 541S was highly regarded by 22 LR Metalic Silhoutte shooters.

They shot very good, better even than the Anschutz Sporters, and they made weight, with the Weaver 10x, or 16x scope that was so popular.

I would not call them an old school, high quality 22, but they were ACCURATE...

Years later they came out with the 541T with the heavier barrel. The ones I shot did not shoot as well as the original 541S.

As others have stated the rifle pictured is not a 541.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Alan

That does not mean your 22 LR is not a good nice shooting 22 LR. Big Grin tu2

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SDHandgunner:
Yep it looks to me like a Remington Model 581.

The Remington Model 581 was a lower cost version of the Remington Model 541S.

The 581 had the birch stock. A smaller profile barrel with open sights, a non adjustable trigger and was not drilled & tapped for scope bases but just had the 3/8" dovetailed receiver.

Actually Remington had discontinued the Model 581 for a few years and when it was reintroduced it was called the Model 581S but was basically the same gun as the 5811 as far as I know.

Remington also made a Tube Feed version of the 580 series the 582 if I remember right.

A buddy of mine just bought 3 of these rifles last spring, a Right Hand Model 581, a Left Hand Model 581 and a Right Hand 582.

Larry

PS $125.00 was a STEEL. My buddy paid over twice that for each of the ones he bought this spring.

Right on.
That's a Rem 581. I have one exactly like it, and had a 581S that I sold.
If you go to GunParts.com you can see pix of the rifle and parts they sell for it.
The 581 preceeded the 541 and the receivers are the same. Tiggers on 581's can be a problem.
You got a good buy on the 581 you have.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
I have 2 Remington 541 s rifles, and I think they are one of the better bolt action 22 available.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66923 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's a 581 there-the 541's had fancier trim-walnut stocks,grip caps, fore end caps, heavier barrels- the action is the same triggers are different most of the 41's are adjustable- still a good buy and an accurate rifle too.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have both the 541-S and the 581 (box for both of them), Same machining of the actions, different finish on metal. What do you want? Pretty or functional an accurate? The cheapie 581's may win out and guarantee you they are just as good, as the 541's. No differnce in the machining, metal, inherrent accuracy of the 541's and the 581's. Any of you all noticed that the only folks making a "BOLT-ACTION" 22 that is AFFORDABLE is Marlin and Savage now? I guess that the "biggies" don't need our business!! Marlin and Savage do a tremendous job in supplying ACCURATE/AFFORDABLE rimfires to the masses. GHD

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote