Find
Notify
Tools

Smith & Wesson M&P 15/22
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 500 Fan
posted
I just did a second search for discussion on the S&W M&p 15/22 and can't believe I found absolutely nothing. Did I mess up or has there been no discussion about this rifle?

Are there any M&P 15/22 shooters here? How do you like the rifle?

I had a chance to shoot several at the National Manufacturers Shoot held in Grand Island, Nebraska @ Heartland Public Shooting Park, last weekend.

A few failure to extract malfunctions and several others caused my the poor ammo that was donated.

When good ammo was used these rifles were fast, accurate and fun. One thing we did realize is they do like to be well lubed. In this warm weather that is great but don't know about cooler weather. Another factor is these were all new guns. As we got a couple hundred rounds through them they did function almost without a fault.

As I said previously the ammo was the fault of most of the malfunctions some teams brought their own ammo and those that had CCI (which is what they all had) functioned without a problem with the exception of one rifle and it was just a bad gun the other 5 were perfect.

The display of PURE POWER is nothing short of AWESOME !

1 JOHN 3:18

Posts: 327 | Location: The Beautiful Sandhills of America | Registered: 29 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't personally have one but a couple of my friends do have the S&W M&P15-22's.

The one has run flawlessly, so much so that one of his buddies promptly went out and bought one too. Chad says that the more rounds he gets through the gun the better it seems to shoot. Chad has never owned an AR style Rifle before so he said there was a small learning curve for him as well. I guess I have not asked him how much he keeps it lubed but do know that once he found the ammo it really likes (I believe he is shooting Federal Bulk Hollow Points) it runs flawlessly.

Another buddy had troubles from the get go and in one shooting session a part actually fell out of the gun. He phoned S&W and they sent a shipping tag (on their dime) and he sent the gun to S&W. I can not remember if they fixed or replaced the gun but do know the problem was resolved.

There is some info at

http://tactical22.net/forum/

with a couple sections dedicated to the S&W M&P 15-22.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Larry

One of Us
Picture of rick boggs
posted Hide Post
I have 1 and my son has 1 i didnt like the plastic at first but never jammed and is very accurate they are the most fun to shoot guns i have my son got his for his 12th bday he loves it also just to see how many rounds i could fire before it jams or ftf i havent cleaned it except when i first opened it my son on the other hand has cleaned his out of habit and good practice i now have 1000 rds thru my and still no problems so i will prolly clean it this weekend .

Posts: 518 | Location: KENTUCKY | Registered: 05 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 500 Fan
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys for your comments and sorry for the late reply-I've been on the medical mend.

Good feedback, much appreciated!

Posts: 327 | Location: The Beautiful Sandhills of America | Registered: 29 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So, when we say "accurate" what are we talking about? Is this gun just a plinker?
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had to send mine back to the factory, as it jammed constantly with failures to feed, extract and finally fired out of battery and blew the rim off the case and blew the extractor out. Once I got it back (they paid shipping both ways, and included an extra new magazine when they shipped it back)it has worked great. I put about 250 rounds through it of different ammo and only had one failure to fire on a CCI Blazer round. (I usually have good luck with the Blazers for cheap ammo).
As for accuracy, with the factory iron sights, at 25 yards from a rest, mine put 25 rounds well inside a 1.5 inch bullseye using Winchester Dynapoint ammo. The other groups with Winchester Bulk 555 37 gr HP ammo and Winchester 40 gr Power Points were only a little larger. Since my 55 year old bifocaled eyes are not the best iron sight shooters in the world, I was very pleased. Also the ability to unload 3 boxes of .22 shells in under 2 minutes is pretty impressive. (I have 6 of the 25 round magazines)

Bullets are pretty worthless. All they do is hang around waiting to get loaded.

Posts: 515 | Location: kennewick, wa | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks 2ndtimer. I had read that the early 15/22's had this problem.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 500 Fan
posted Hide Post
Well I took the plunge and purchased the S&W M&P 15/22 and took it to the range yesterday with a buddy. We had mounted an EO Tech-which I already owned-on the gun and sighted it at 25 yards.

After some goofing off I shot for group and couple keep 10 rounds in about an inch. I figure that's superb with a heads up display type of sight cuz the chance of parallax is so great I was tickled.

Out of about 325 rounds of Remington ammo, which usually gives 1 or 2 mis fires we had two in the 325 fired and they were both failure to fire but extraction and ejection were both just fine.

Thanks for your input and enjoy shooting!