THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM RIMFIRE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Shooting  Hop To Forums  Rim Fire Rifles & Pistols    This Should Be Fun! BRNO 452 In The YOUNG MACHINE REST

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

This Should Be Fun! BRNO 452 In The YOUNG MACHINE REST
 Login/Join

Administrator
posted
Lots of people here shoot open sight 22 rim fire competition.

The rifle of choice is the BRNO 452.

I have a YOUNG return to battery machine rest.

We made an adapter to fit the action of the BRNO 452, and I am going to try shooting the different ammo I can find in it to see how accurate it is.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66925 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Saeed, if the result is that Remington Yellow Jackets are the best, you will need to have your rest rebuilt .. . hilbily

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16365 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
FANTASTIC!
I always look forward to one of Saeed's thoroughly wrung out tests.

I wonder if you have ever tested how the adpter/attachment affects precision?

I guess an adapter that mounts the rifle to the rest much as it is to the rifle stock is "most telling".

Considering what we think we know about nodes, for future experimentation I wonder about mounting the barreled action to the rest at different points along the barrel might prove interesting . . .

OR

A waste of ammunition!

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4227 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
The YOUNG rest is very well made, and from talking to individuals in the bench rest community, it is one of the best.

I have tried it before with a match 22 rimfire.

Shot very very well with the right ammo.

It has an 8 inch long mount which is 2 inches in diameter.

The two halves mount with 10 screws.

Very rigid.

We hade to make a DELRYN adapter to mount the BRNO action.

And due to the construction of the action and fitted trigger, the action is mounted sideways.

It is a bit awkward to load, but works just as well.

The recoil hardly moves the action.

Posts: 66925 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Everyone is brining their ammo to be tested.

Apparently I have to test same ammo with different production numbers.

By the looks of things, I am getting close to 100 types! rotflmo

Administrator
posted Hide Post

Administrator
posted Hide Post
These are the results for ELEY ammo I could find.

Others to follow.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Is the 100 yard range indoors? You remember I am sure the discussion quite a few years ago about 22lr ammo being the limiting factor, and the demise of BR50. The Eley match with groups of .4 or thereabouts at 50 yards looked pretty good though.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Yes.

All shooting was done in our underground indoor range.

Both 50 and 100 yards groups were shot by the same ammo lot.

I am doing the same test with an Anschutz 1415-1416 rifle too.

It is very similar to the BRNO 452, so I thought it might be interesting.

I think I shot over a 100 different types, or batch numbers.

Eley was of course more.

Lapua and all others will follow.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
I have read, and tried, every reported advantage one can get in improving 22 rim fire accuracy.

Rim thickness, weight, using an scube tank to clear powder residue from the barrel etc.

Frankly, nothing works.

All it comes to is certain ammo, and certain batch numbers, are better than others.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
All it comes to is certain ammo, and certain batch numbers, are better than others.

I think you are 100% correct, the Anschutz test will be interesting to see if group sizes stay about the same with each type and lot. I suspect the Anschutz groups might be a bit better.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2743 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Targets which have no corresponding 100 yards target, is because I did not have enough ammo.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The CCI ammo surprised me with its accuracy, same with some of the others with poor group size. I think a similar test is in the offing with an Anschutz rifle…from my limited experience I would anticipate smaller groups with some ammo, at 50 and 100 yards.
Thanks for the post.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2743 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I am trying to gather more ammo.

I have Olympic Match rifles.

What I am thinking of doing is get 100 rounds of ammo of the same type and batch number, then shoot the same test in separate rifles to see if there is any pattern to this.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Saeed, I am frankly a bit astonished at how so many groups that show MOA promise at 50 yards simply collapse at 100 -- and in your underground range with no wind inputs and an advanced rest. I know .22 shooters who are very religious about which machine at Eley produces their lots, and then which lots shoot best in their match rifles with tuners, powerful scopes and expensive rests and the grail they seek is consistent groups under an inch at 100 yards outdoors. There is some sort of mysterious alchemy that casts odd spells over .22 target rifles and the various lots of ammunition from different manufacturers. Some Eley, some Fiocchi, some CCI -- one just never knows.
Thanks for sharing your exhaustive test results -- and I am a believer in 10-round groups to sort the wheat from the chaff.

– John Green, author

Posts: 16365 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
A friend who shoots target competition 22 in the US told me a bottle of whiskey helps! rotflmo

In the past, I have tried every trick published to get consistent accuracy from 22 rim fire.

Nothing works.

Lot number is the only guide one can use reliably!

Administrator
posted Hide Post
I have finished shooting the Anschutz 1415-1416 rifle.

Will post the results later on.

I have gathered over 100 different types of ammo, 100 rounds each.

My intention is to shoot 2 x 10 groups at 50, and 2 x 10 groups at 100 with two Olympic Match rifles.

That might give us an idea how these ammo are.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
These are two examples of the results I am getting from the BLEIKER.

Group in red is what I got from the BRNO 452.

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Wow!

Now, that's an order of magnitude improvement!

I would be interested to see how the Bleiker performs at 100 yards.

Like Bill, I was surprised to see how many groups from the BRNO opened up radically at that range.

It leads me to believe that the bullets are de-stabilizing to a significant degree between 50 and 100 yards.

With no external/environmental factors in play, it must be de-stabilization.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13384 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Yes, eagerly awaiting 100-yard results with the Bleiker -- and
Anschutz results.

– John Green, author