Notify
Tools

EAA Biathlon?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Any one had any experience with these?
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10510 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have one and it has the very best factory 22 Rimfire barrel out there. Needless to say, it is accurate.

No problems with that rifle at all.

Don

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks DMB. I was thinking of getting one in 22mag. Do you think the shorter barrel will make much of a difference in velocity? How do you like the "action"?
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10510 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
I picked one up last fall and have been very impressed with the accuracy with bulk bullets. The barrel is a very different black color treatment that is free floated with a crown on it that is about 3/8"deep. The trigger from the box is super smooth and crisp and light. I put a 3X9 scope on mine and I think it is one of the most accurate 22LR that I have owned out of about 15-18 rifles.

The action requires a brisk move on it to properly eject the fired case but once that is learned its great.

It will make you giggle when you see how accurate it is and the fun you'll have bustin' small stuff.

I don't know much about the 22mag version is all my buddies bought the LR version; but would expect the same performance from that round as well. Good shooting.

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
Thanks DMB. I was thinking of getting one in 22mag. Do you think the shorter barrel will make much of a difference in velocity? How do you like the "action"?
Peter.

Not sure how it will perform in 22 Magnum as I have not shot one in that caliber. But, I would expect that it would shoot well, even with the short barrel. I love the action.
Go for it!!! Big Grin

Don

one of us
posted Hide Post
DMB, picked up my EAA Biathlon in 22mag today. Hopefully will get to the range tomorrow!
Peter

one of us
posted Hide Post
Took the Biathlon out to the range yesterday. That is a FUN gun. The triger is great and the action is wonderful. You are right TEANCUM, it does take a "brisk" movement to cycle but it is juts amazing.I put a big assed scope on it and tried out several types of 22mag ammo. at 50 yards. Will go to 100 next.
Peter.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
Took the Biathlon out to the range yesterday. That is a FUN gun. The triger is great and the action is wonderful. You are right TEANCUM, it does take a "brisk" movement to cycle but it is juts amazing.I put a big assed scope on it and tried out several types of 22mag ammo. at 50 yards. Will go to 100 next.
Peter.

I'd be interested in hearing how the 22 Mag performs; what kind of groups with what ammo, at both 50 and 100 yards.

Don

Picture of Ben in Alabama
posted Hide Post
Here is a sample of the accuracy from mine :

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/haysb/5-2.jpg

Posts: 6 | Location: Cleveland, AL | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ben in Alabama:
Here is a sample of the accuracy from mine :

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/haysb/5-2.jpg

Ben,

That's the same kind of accuracy mine shoots, with Wolf Match Target also.

Don

Picture of Ben in Alabama
posted Hide Post
Don:

These are fine rifles, I wouldn't sell mine. I really like it.
I've had to glass bed and fine tune many other .22 rifles to get them to shoot decently. This one shot like this the 1st time I took it to the range.

Ben

Posts: 6 | Location: Cleveland, AL | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here are some targets shot with my EAA Biathlon in 22mag. I will explain as best I can. One target is with various types of 40 grain ammunition, the older kind. The other two targets are using various types on the newer 30 grain stuff. In general, my rifle preferred the CCI VMax 30 grain (Black Tip) ammo. Range 50 yards.

Visualize the picture rotated 90 degrees clockwise.
1. Win. Super X
2. PMC Predator
3. Federal 22mag
4. CCI Maxi mag
5. Federal premium
6. Win Super X (again)
Winner - Federal Premiums with Win Super X close behind.

Same thing. Al 30 grain ammo.
1. CCI Maxi mag 30 gr. TNT
2. CCI Maxi Mag HP+V 30 gr. (Nickel case)
3. Hornady 30 gr. V-Max
4. CCI VMax 30 gr. (Black Tip)
5. Federal Premium 30 gr. Speer TNT.
Winner CCI VMax 30 gr. Black Tip.

Same ammo shot again (different day!)
1. Federal premium 30 gr. TNT
2. CCI Maxi mag HP+V 30gr.
3. CCI maxi mag TNT 30 gr.
4. CCI VMax 30 gr.
5. Hornady 30 gr. VMax.
Not quite as clear cut showing variations in ammo and my own shooting ability.
Hope this helps.
Peter.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Peter,
Interesting results. I have gotten results like that at 50 to 75 yards with my old Mossberg.
You will notice shooting multiple groups with the same ammo you will get unpredictable fliers.

What I found is that I get pretty good groups at 75 yards abut they open dramatically at 100 meters. My theory is the bullets are dropping down through the sound barrier between 75 yards and 100 meters.

I alos found my chamber is pretty large in diameter and the origin of the rifling is about one caliber ahead of the factory loaded round.

Actions suitable for experimenting with the .22 WMR are not easy to locate. One of my planned on projects is to have a custom reamer made and try it in several different barrels.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ireload2, I suspect that the problems with 22mag accuracy are with the ammo and not the rifles. That was the demise of BR50, where the conclusion was that the ammunition was just not consistent enough. I think that Volquartsen makes a "match" chambered 22mag. That was my problem, inconsistency between 5 shot groups.
Peter.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Peter,
I think the both the ammo and the run of the mill rifles are both problematic. A chamber that is grossly long and over size will make good ammo shoot bad. My Mossberg shoots much better with Sierra bullets "reloaded" about one caliber longer than factory ammo.
I suspect the over size chamber is used to insure feeding with a repeater. I would much prefer to load single shot if the rifle's chamber is optimized for accuracy.

As far as BR 50 goes I once shot at a range used by Schuyler Helbing and Sue Ann Sandusky, both distinguished female shooters. I was amazed by the 100 yard groups they shot. Many of their 10 shot groups were around 1 inch at 100 yards with iron sights prone. I spoke to Helbing's step-father, who built her rifle. Built as in made the action from scratch. Much of what I witnessed was them testing different lots of Eley ammo for accuracy. That range was in windy north central Texas and he said the outdoor testing in the wind made it easier to determine the best lots of ammo. In addition he said that due to the long barrel time of the .22 LR they shot better test groups prone than could be shot off a bench rest.
I have found that shooting .22 rimfires from bench rest is a challenge for your technique. I have also found that shooting low velocity BPCR rifles off a bench rest shows up inconsistencies in technique quickly.
I am not nor have never been a competitive shooter. However the two women above were superlative shooters and judging from the results of their shooting careers I have always given John Chapman's comments the benefit of the doubt.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of K9 Bandit
posted Hide Post
If I had to keep one, I'd stick to this russian biathlon.

"capturing bin Laden is not a top priority use of American resources"
Bush, September 06

"Those weapons of mass destruction have got to be here somewhere."
"Maybe under here?"
Bush, March 04

Posts: 1025 | Location: Jacksonville | Registered: 15 July 2008Reply With Quote