Find
Notify
Tools

Which model 52 do I have? Sight?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Guys,

I recently picked up a Winchester Model 52 and i'm not quite sure what i have got on my hands. The serial number is 398XX The serial number [u]does not[/u] end with a B, C, or D, just numbers. According to the information i have found it was made on February 17, 1937. I am pretty confident that i have I Model 52-C in the heavy target configuration. The barrel diameter is .875" at the muzzle.

My questions are:

1. If this is a 52-C then how come no B, C or D suffix? Most of the information i have read about 52's says they had suffix's on the end of the serial number. Is this just an early model?

2. I have a redfield international rear peep. Is there any way i can mount this sight on this rifle? I understand that some had holes drilled on the left side of the receiver for some sort of mount? My rifle does not have any holes (as you can see) drilled in the left side of the receiver. If the redfield I have won't work then what will? I'd prefer to stay with peep sights.
I also have the redfield international front that fits fine.

Guys, i really appreciate any help you can give me!

Thanks,
Ruck

Ruck

Posts: 203 | Location: Southwestern, va | Registered: 30 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You have what is known as pre suffix model or as you mentioned, very first ones did not have A,B,C etc. on them. Note that the left side of receiver is open as opposed to later versions with receiver being solid in that area. As to sights, the large dovetail on the rear bridge is the area used for mntg. the ladder style sight on the early ones. The base of the original ladder sight utlized the dovetail area to hold it in place. Did not notice, but the front sight base is actually part of the barrel itself I believe.
You could drill and tap for side base for receiver sight, but I personally would not do that, but rather have it fitted w/ quality period Unertyl or Lyman target scope, but that gets a bit pricey and you could fit modern piece of glass as well. Classic old match rifle and shot one for several years and ended up w/ 52B version when shooting small bore matches. Somewhere in the era of your rifle they switched to a so called "micro" trigger and yours is most likely pre those days?? Fine old rifle in all respects. Sure others can give you more details than I for there are many who regard these as the finest 22's ever produced in this country other than perhaps the Remington Model 37.

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a later 52C than yours is and it has no cut out on the left side of the receiver. The rifle I have, has a shortened stock for a junior or lady shooter with an adjustable butt plate. I am going to make a sporter out of it and the stock is on Auction Arms at gunmaker48 is you would like to look at it. Have fun; ypu have a great rifle.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
About the Redfield sight. Mine has holes drilled for it. If it has a "plate" in a dovetail on the top rear of the receiver, then it was made for a ladder rear sight. I can give you a couple of places that might have one if this is the case.
Feel free to email me at gunmaker48@yahoo.com or call me evenings at 816-364-0679

Tom
A&T Rifle Co.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm sure no expert but that stock is cut for a barrel band thats missing and that early safety sure don't look like a C model any photos of the trigger guard area??