THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM RIMFIRE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Shooting  Hop To Forums  Rim Fire Rifles & Pistols    Another Crazy 22 Ammo Test! Completed!

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another Crazy 22 Ammo Test! Completed!
 Login/Join

Administrator
posted
We have over 70 different types of 22 ammo.

Practically all of them have different bullet lube.

Some almost greasy, some looks like very lightly caked on wax and some actually falls off in quite large chunks.

We have no idea which one works and which does not work.

So we decided to try something, just for fun.

I took a brick of ELEY TENEX.
I cleaned all the lube off the bullets with Hoppes, until they were down to the bare lead.

I coated 120 rounds each using a bullet lube and sizing lube we use from the Woodchuck Den. It water soluble.

120 with Molly spray like we use on our copper bullets.

120 with Molly bore paste.

The idea is to shoot 12, 10-shot groups of each of the above, as well as normal out of box ammo, and one lot of those that have been cleaned completely of lube.

The bore will be cleaned between each type.

I have shot the normal ammo, the clean ammo and the amp coated with the Woodchuck Den lube.

I have not measure the targets, but from 50 yards they mostly look the same!!??

Rifle is a Sako with a 20x Leupold.

I will try to finish this tomorrow and I will post the results.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67231 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
Alright - looking forward to it.

Posts: 2027 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Final results added.

Posts: 67231 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
If we could only put those fliers (that are not lube based I guess) aside, conclusion is obvious...nevertheless some fine shooting there!

Posts: 2027 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Sadly,

We seem to have some fliers with 22 rim fire ammo no matter what one does.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice target results. For minute of tin can I don't think lube make any difference.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of stubbleduck47
posted Hide Post
In addition to the average of the ten groups you might also calculate the standard deviation. This may show some difference not readily apparent in just the averages. In general comparisons of groups that provide only averages are presenting only half the available information, the other half resides in the standard deviation.

Posts: 911 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PD999
posted Hide Post
Anyone know whether the 'black oxidized surface treatment' of Eley Edge has any real-world advantages?

http://www.eley.co.uk/eley-edge

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition” ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 1231 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 April 2010Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PD999:
Anyone know whether the 'black oxidized surface treatment' of Eley Edge has any real-world advantages?

http://www.eley.co.uk/eley-edge

Yes they do.

ONE BIG FAT ZERO clap