New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remington Targetmaster .22
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have one of these. Considering having the barrel threaded for use with my Warlock II. I tried researching it here but found only this http://forums.accuratereloadin...321057271#3321057271

My research has led me to believe it was manufactured between 1936-1939. There isn't a SN on it, at least one topside. It is in good original shape (75% or so) for it's age and shoots well. I hate to change an original gun but need a single shot rifle host for my can. Don't want to be limited to Long Rifle ammo.

Anyone have one of these or someone who can advise whether or not to thread the barrel?

My guess it is worth maybe $100.00.

Posts: 187 | Location: foothills of NC | Registered: 03 August 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by deltam:
I have one of these. Considering having the barrel threaded for use with my Warlock II. I tried researching it here but found only this http://forums.accuratereloadin...321057271#3321057271

My research has led me to believe it was manufactured between 1936-1939. There isn't a SN on it, at least one topside. It is in good original shape (75% or so) for it's age and shoots well. I hate to change an original gun but need a single shot rifle host for my can. Don't want to be limited to Long Rifle ammo.

Anyone have one of these or someone who can advise whether or not to thread the barrel?

My guess it is worth maybe $100.00.

Rimfire benchrest tuners are clamped on, maybe that would be the simplest way of dealing with the issue. Make a little sleeve with ID same as barrel OD, then turn the outside to the ID of the can. Locktite might be a second way of securing the can to the barrel.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14398 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting idea Smiler

I can visualize how this might work. I have at least an inch of barrel in front of the front sight.

Fastening the adapter to the barrel would be the next issue. Using set screws would most likely scar the barrel and may make this adapter not concentric to the bore. I suppose if the set screws or whatever pushed in at least three places around the barrel and wouldn't dig into the barrel it could be checked.

Another idea might be to heat the adapter hotter than it would get shooting in a single shot rifle and then put it in place so that it shrank on the barrel making a tight fit when it cooled. Then heating again to take it off if I ever want to do so.

I know a guy with machine shop equipment and works on guns. Might give him a call and see what he thinks.

Posts: 187 | Location: foothills of NC | Registered: 03 August 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Evan K.
posted Hide Post
I was just shooting a Model 41 Targetmaster over the weekend on my grandparent's farm. It was purchased new by my great grandfather and was the first .22 a lot of my family shot. I've shot it a lot, and never on a bench but it still has no problem whacking starlings out of the trees too.

Could the can put more pressure on the bolt at the breech? I know some high velocity rounds have caused a bit of gas to spit out of the old 41 we shoot- granted its an old worn out rifle we only shoot SV rounds in now but it sounds like a more modern rifle wouldn't cost too much more. Since the receiver and barrel are integral, that limits you too in case the barrel and chamber burn out.

I agree with Tom, a clamp could be an easy solution. I probably wouldn't shrink-fit it to the barrel since constricting the bore at the muzzle like that can harm accuracy.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Posts: 775 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 05 September 2006Reply With Quote