THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM RIMFIRE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Shooting  Hop To Forums  Rim Fire Rifles & Pistols    10/22 mag extensions; solution to missing mags in field

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

10/22 mag extensions; solution to missing mags in field
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
There are many who will not avail themselves of the benefits of a extended mag release on their 10/22's because they have lost mags in the field while hunting.

I got to thinking about this and the potential of loosing a mag in the field even without the
extension. I have seen 303 SMLEs with tethers for their magazines. I thought that this might be a solution to the 10/22 problem.

I got a package of six inch fishing leaders in black and a package of #10 hooks at Sports Authority. I used fish hooks because I recently need some small screw eyes, and bought some purpose built ones which were cheap, light and did not work. The fish hooks are really tough stuff.

I drilled a small hole in the back of the magazine on at angle from the small griping step on the base of the magazine upward through the magazine's plastic frame.

I took a small file and opened up the hole for fishing line on a #10 hook and cut it to fit through the hold and leave a small piece exposed just under the step. I JB Welded this hook shank into the hole on the magazine with the hook in the vertical position.

I took another piece of hook, and cut it and JB Welded it into the finger cut on the stock at the end of the magazine with the hole in the shank facing up.

I cut the swivel off the leader and crushed the clamp on the leader behind the loop originally attached to the swivel and polished the clamp with a well used sanding drum on my dremel. I fed this end of the leader through the hook shank on the magazine.

The snap on the leader is slipped through the hole in the finger cut and the loop on the other end clipped into it. This secures the magazine to the stock.

Believe it or not, I can cradle the rifle in my left arm, hold the mag in my left hand, and load it with my right.

If I am at the bench and want more working room, I can disconnect the loop end and it gives me the full six inches of play in the leader.
Kudude

Posts: 1473 | Location: Tallahassee, Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like you have a Voltquartsen bolt, there. I just put my 10/22 together in a new CNC-milled receiver, using a VQ bolt and the spring that came with it. I am having feeding and extraction problems. I get stovepipes after three or four rounds. Along with these partial ejections, I get a round in the chamber and another setting in the space left vacant when the bolt is retracted. Is my action spring too heavy or stiff to allow the recoil energy of the round to completely cycle the bolt? Thanks for any input or comments...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktail53
posted Hide Post
I'd take both your magazine idea -and- the FTE issue to this site:

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/index.php

Literaly tons of good people and information concerning the 10/22 and it's builds.

Elk, it's what's for dinner..

Posts: 267 | Location: So. Oregon | Registered: 11 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Homebrewer,
I am sorry, but I did not catch your question until just now. My bolt isn't VQ, but factory blue printed by Randy at CPC. You can get his web page in sponser's list on right of page at rimfire central.

The first thing I'd do if you are having extraction problems is to get one of the aftermarket extractor's. I think that Randy replaces the extractors when he does the bolts and pins the firing pin. I have had him do three bolts for me, and they improve performance in every rifle.

Blacktailer,
I have obtained a ton of info from RFC, and I have posted the retainer idea at rimfire central. Some liked it, most felt it was unnecessary. I think I'd use mine for sure if I was hunting or living in the back country. Kudude

Posts: 1473 | Location: Tallahassee, Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote