New
Find
Notify
Tools

Marlin 39 Century Limited
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've been offered a Marlin Model 39 Century Limited (octagonal barrel, brass stock plaque with "1870-1970 100 Years" or something to that effect, and brass barrel band). I'm going to look at it on Wednesday to examine the actual condition, but photos look very good (not new). I haven't been in this market for several years, so don't have very good idea of its value. Would appreciate some ballpark estimates for a 95% gun (it may be better or worse, but let's use 95% as a starting point.)

Posts: 13236 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
When you see it, compare it to this one:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Aucti....aspx?Item=161572663

FWIW, I paid $400 for one in like condition over a year ago. If you have large hands, the Century Limited may not be for you. The squared lever gives less room for the fingers. Something to consider. I like the rounded lever on the Mountie best, but love the octagon barrel of the Century.

James

Posts: 45 | Location: Biloxi, MS | Registered: 15 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The squared lever wouldn't be a problem since I don't have overly large hands -- as an adolescent I attempted to concentrate my growth on what I perceived to be a more important extremity Cool

The price you mention seems to be within the range I was thinking.

Posts: 13236 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought the gun in question and have fired a few rounds at paper to check it out. It came equipped with a Leupold 4X Rimfire, and while I don't usually like a scope on a "saddle gun" I have to admit that this set up is pretty user-friendly. The groups it shot at 40 yards were quite similar to those from my Ruger 10/22 that I shot along side it, which is to say quite acceptable. I didn't try much other than Win and Fed promo ammunition, and the wind was stronger and more variable than one would want, so all I can say is that the little gun looks like it will perform well up to par for a non-target .22 Rimfire. Nice looking little gun, too.