New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger 22 handguns
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
How does the Single Six compare to the Mark two for noise level? Does the cylinder gap make it significantly louder to the shooter and people on the bench? How would you rate them for accuracy, in general and compared to each other? I have heard some complain that one cylinder is bad on the convertibles. How good is the good cylinder?

I’m looking at a hunter model, black handle, SS both mag and LR cylinders with Ruger scope rings for the barrel. It’s very slightly used for $450. Does this seem like a good price? Thanks

Posts: 967 | Location: Michigan, USA | Registered: 28 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
How does the Single Six compare to the Mark two for noise level? Does the cylinder gap make it significantly louder to the shooter and people on the bench? How would you rate them for accuracy, in general and compared to each other?
I've never noticed any difference but everyone near or at the bench ought to be wearing hearing protection so the precise noise level is moot. It's been over 15 years since I owned a MkII but my recollection is that it was slightly more accurate then than my Bisley Single Six is now. That might not be the pistol's fault...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have owned both handguns and I couldn't tell differece in the noise. I have been around many other people who were shooting both handguns and still couldn't tell a difference. The single six with 22LR ammo seemed to be the most accurate of the two pistols. It had the longer 6.5 inch barrel, whereas the Mark II's was shorter and of standard weight. I have a friend with a bull barreled Mark II and it is super accurate as well. I never fully tested either pistol for accuracy, but I fired thousands of rounds while plinking and hunting. I used the single six to do a lot of tree squirrel and groundhog hunting (along with quite a few snowshoe hares, jackrabbits, and cottontails) in the mountains of central Utah. It was deadly. However, the .22 WMR cylinder did not seem to be as accurate as the .22 LR -but I did not shoot it very much because of the price of ammo. Both pistols ended up in a trade that I couldn't refuse, but it is the single six that I still miss. I will get another one eventually.

Posts: 283 | Location: Utah, USA | Registered: 01 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I purchased a Lipsey's Special Ruger Single Six 4 5/8" SS 22/22mag thru my gun dealer several years ago http://www.lipseys.comMy other 22 revolver is a S&W 17-4 Target Model that has the same frame as my S&W Mod 19.The 22 is very accurate.

one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
The single six makes more noise. The mark 2 is more accurate because all shots are fired from the same chamber and the bullet does not have to junp from cyl to barrel. And timing/alignment of the cyl in the rev. is not a factor in the mark 2. Accuracy will differ between gun made on the same day, pick the one you like best, with the best sights.

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the single six, but I had got a Mark III because I wanted a semiauto. While I can't speak for the six, the Mark III is amazingly accurate. Good luck with yours!

Posts: 119 | Location: Phoenix | Registered: 05 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can't say I noticed any difference in noise...mostly because I wear muffs whenever possible. I DID notice a big difference in accuracy.
My Single 6 (was) the 22/22mag version. Accuracy with 22 was pathetic becasue the 22 bullet is smaller in diameter than the 22mag. I've had 4 MK 1 and 2s and all (except the B2/4, with a 4" barrel) shot exceptionally well. The bull barreled and scoped Target versions shot well but were too bulky. I finally purchased a used plain barreled blue version one for $125, highlighted the sights and put a Volquartsen trigger kit into it. It's much more accurate than I'll ever be.
For a wheelgun in 22 have a look at the Taurus M94, 9 shot revolver. Mine is much more accurate than the Single 6, lighter and costs around $260. new.

one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted Hide Post
Thank you cossac2,,I had a single 6 15 years ago,,could'nt hit the broadside of a barn with it,,I never thought "why",,just got rid of it,,,Your answer makes a lot of sense,,If I had given it more thought,,,,,I still would have dumped the thing,,the mk series is way better,Clay

Posts: 2119 | Location: woodbine,md,U.S.A | Registered: 14 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mr Jim Beagles
posted Hide Post
I bought a stainless single six back in the 70's. I was going through the old Montgomery Wards sporting goods department and saw 2 there. I bought one and have never been happier with a handgun. It's a 5 1/2 incher and is pre-warning and the only difference between the 2 cylindars is a firing pin groove on the lr. accuracy is very good with lr's. It's really a matter of practice. Back when I practiced more, I could cut a Bic pen in half at 15 or 20 feet. I live in town now and the neighbors frown at gunfire.

If you can't have fun, what good is life?
Were liberals born that stupid or did they work at it?

Posts: 84 | Location: Council Bluffs, Iowa | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The auto will typically be more accurate than the revolver, but as a previous poster mentioned, the variability in individual guns will exceed the normal margin of accuracy.

The revolver theoretically has a slightly louder report. Actually, it's a fact that the revolver is louder. I use the term "theorectically" because it is only a theory to all of us old farts whose hearing is so shot that we can't tell the difference.

I enjoy shooting single-action revolvers, but the kind of plinking you sometimes do with a .22 Rimfire makes the six shots of the revolver seem limiting. The SA gun is slow to load and reload (punch out the empties one at a time and reload the fresh rounds one at a time), whereas the auto gives you ten rounds as quickly as you can insert a fresh, pre-loaded magazine.

In my opinion, the autoloader is a more practical handgun in a .22. It will also be considerably cheaper to purchase. $450 seems steep for a Single Six, but then I still remember when "Motel 6" meant you got a clean room with a black and white TV for $6.99.

Posts: 13235 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
while the single six is fun and matches up to other revolvers.. the marh II and the new mark III are really great.. for the money the 22/45 are as accurate as the goverment targrt pistols and can be found for a little over 200.00 noise? whats that old nra salute??? [hold your hand up to your ear and say hu] ps.. the trigger pull on the auto is so much better out of the box... but everone has a opinion..

Posts: 104 | Location: south of san antonio | Registered: 03 July 2006Reply With Quote