New
Find
Notify
Tools

WIN. M52 SPORTER----JAP BORN
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone have any experience with this rifle Quality, Finish, Accuracy, Functioning, etc.?

Was at a gun show today and one table had one for sale (Japan made) with a Redfield scope with a tag price of $1200.00.

WORTH THAT PRICE?

Always wanted one after reading an article by Jack O'Conner.

A few times wanted to make one up on a target model by shortening and turning down the BBL, but I didn't think a would have enough gelt.

Lets hear it from you guys!!!

Hip

Posts: 1820 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Hip

Had one I bought off of AR years ago. It is at least as good as the originals (I have a HB target 52). Sold it for $900 years ago.

Posts: 6384 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have one, bought new back when. Accuracy wasn't good so I contacted Browning and they said send it back. They replaced the entire barreled action. New one is OK but not great. Fit and finish are good and I really like it but I wish it had a better barrel (you don't get a 400$ bbl. on a 600$ rifle). You have to be careful mounting a scope as the bolt handle is a little high.
C.G.B.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the feedback guys! I had to grab myself by the collar and drag myself away. Beautiful Rifle!

Hip

P.S. I had a bull bbl. M52 C when I was young that I bought for $135.00----wish I still had it!

Posts: 1820 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I have the very same Winchester Model 52B Sporter. (Japanese Made). I ordered it from Winchester/Browning many, many years ago. Love that rifle! It has a Leupold Vari-X III 3.5X10 40 mm scope mounted on it. Mine is one accurate rifle. I have a number of extra magazines for it as well. I love to shoot small vegetables at longer distances with it to watch the veges explode. I also like to shoot long range at empty shotgun shells. Lining up empty 22 LR and 22 Mag cases at a good distance and shooting them is also my cup of tea. Since it is near full rifle size, it's a great rifle to practice with for the upcoming hunting season. In my opinion, anyone that can get their hands on one would be wise to do so. I don't think that you will be disappointed. I also have a Kimber Super America 22 rifle with a similar scope set-up. I personally prefer the Winchester Model 52B.