New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tyrol 5522
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Does anyone have for sale, or know a source of, a magazine to fit a Tyrol 5522 semi-auto?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Still looking for one, just to jog anyone's memory. Beautiful little rifle, but it's a single shot until I find a mag. Even a broken one to give me a pattern would be great.

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
I was given one of those rifles in bits, had the bolt handle and magazine missing. Made a bolt handle for it once I figured out how it worked (before the internet) and made a magazine by adapting a Stirling Model 20 semi auto magazine.
The Stirling is quite a common a Philippine made rifle. The Stirling magazine is the same shape as the Tyrol but just a little thicker in the metal. I just filed and sanded down the upper part of the Stirling magazine so it would slip up into the magazine port. Only slimmed down enough to fit into the port leaving the exposed portion of the Stirling magazine as is. From memory I just had to silver solder a small detent onto the back (or front?) of the magazine for the Tyrol catch to hold. The magazine worked perfectly with no other changes required. I think Stirling makes 10, 15 and 20 shot magazines.

Posts: 3867 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Eagle. I've never heard of "Stirling" here, but I checked on the interwebs and it appears to be the same as Squires-Bingham, and those we do have. I actually owned one of their semi-auto .22's over 40 years ago. Everything comes full circle! Their magazines must be sold somewhere. I'll give it a try. Appreciate the info.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I still own a Squire Bingham semi auto. Nice rifle!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10514 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote