Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger .22 magnum semi-auto
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Richard Wayne
posted
Hy, a buddy of mine want's to buy a Ruger .22 magnum semi-auto rifle, apparently they quit making them a year or so ago. Here is the problem, rumour has it , they had problem's with the ejector's breaking. This is why they quit making them.(rumour)I was wondering if anyone here actually own's one, and know's the true story. Thank's: Rick.

Posts: 224 | Location: ontario,canada | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Richard, I think you will find that it has been more than a year since the 10/22M has been discontinued. However the internet issue was with the double extractor guns which reputedly when shedding the inside extractor would then break the hardened bolt. Ruger is apparently not very good at standing by their products to the general public in such cases and refuses to service this model. They will reportedly offer credit towards a different rifle. I have a single extractor model and find it highly accurate in it's class, and reliable when clean, or less than 20 -25 shots. Then it loves to leave cases in the chamber...

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Richard Wayne
posted Hide Post
Sako, your saying then , if he were to buy a used one, to get one that has a single extractor and don't get one with a double extractor. Ruger must have changed to a single extractor before they discontinued that gun. Thank's: Rick.

Posts: 224 | Location: ontario,canada | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
www.rimfirecentral.com has a forum for the 10/22 Magnum that has lots of good info.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Wayne:
Sako, your saying then , if he were to buy a used one, to get one that has a single extractor and don't get one with a double extractor. Ruger must have changed to a single extractor before they discontinued that gun. Thank's: Rick.

Actually I believe that the single extractor was first, but the second was added to counter problems which I see in my rifle with extended shooting sessions and cleanliness. The second extractor can be removed and the rifle used as a single extractor, but you must check to see if the bolt has been damaged as a double extractor model. This apparently occurs when the inner extractor somehow gets loose inside the functioning action and all hell proceeds from that point.

beer(Damn, this Bookers and branch is delicious...)

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote