New
Find
Notify
Tools

Profanity and personal attacks Login/Join 
One of Us
Picture of someoldguy
posted Hide Post
I don't do profanity, threats, or personal attacks and I'll kick the dipshit faggot's ass that thinks I do!

Seriously, just put the offender on ignore and go on about your business. Likely they're just kidding anyway. Gee whiz!

Glenn

Posts: 942 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 16 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
quote:
Funny how you wrote this a mere 8 hours after exclaiming, HOLY SHIT about a stick of walnut. And forgot that you typed it.

It is called Selective Amnesia by the Pious.

Quite rightly!

It seems to me that even a person who does not use any sort of vulgarity in his regular day-to-day relations with others can let a HOLY SHIT slip out at an imprudent moment. I mean who has not let an expletive slip past their lips in front of grandma without even realizing it? Hey, shit happens. You apologize and move on vowing to be more diligent of such things in the future.

But typing HOLY SHIT takes an active, concerted effort to do so. For a person who professes to never, never, never curse to do so raises a red flag to me. And I took his cleverly written apology as just so much spin. An "A" for effort, but I just don't buy it.

The only way I would, was if he was using one of those word recognition programs that type into your computer what you say into a microphone. Otherwise I'm sticking to hypocrite. Although your pious (seemingly virtuous; affecting virtue hypocritically) is right up there too.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It does appear that we can fairly easily discern the people who very, very rarely use a mild expletive from those who are incapable of holding a three line conversation without showing their lack of ability to express themselves by doing so.

Hie thee to the dictionary and look up the word gratuitous. Profanity for it's shock value stopped working in the 7th grade.

Vulgarity is a sort-of dumbing down. It does not distinguish you in any sort of positive manner.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Sometimes however, at least in my opinion, and we all know what personal opinions are worth, some people deserve to be replied to in as vile a manner as possible.

It is like arguing wioth a sincere anti-gun person or P.E.T.A. member. Their mind is made up, and no matter how many verifiable facts are presented they are not going to change their minds.

In actuality, and I am one of the ones that does drop off into profanity without a lot of provocation, it would be better, instead of responding to these folks, to just ignore them.

I just can't do that some times, the problem or reality is that I am the same way in person.

If someone says something that is so incredibly stupid or wrong, I don't mince words, if for no other reason, to get people that don't know any better to not take what these goobers are saying as the gospel truth.

I know that a lot of folks don't agree with that attitude, and that is okay, but the only way to keep some things that are not true from becoming an accepted fact, is to throw out the bsflag and be prepared to show evidenmce that what was being told is wrong.

This is all just my opinion.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Profanity? Bah! Profanity is like another language; when you are dealing with people who consider it a normal and necessary part of discourse, then using it is an efficient means of communication, like speaking the local lingo when on vacation. I work on construction sites, and being fluent in profanity is vital. When among civilized people, using it is rude, like speaking an unknown tongue in public to exclude part of the audience. The weary tirade about it being a sign of poor vocabulary isn't even worth discussing. If anything, the inability to deal with it, here or in the real world, seems to me like a bit of a social ineptitude and lack of experience.

I agree, there's no place for it here or anywhere in written communication. If someone else lowers himself, fine, that's his problem. If you slip up and let fly, okay, apologize and move on.

The real problem with AR? That would be the small percentage of regular posters, at least one of whom has already homed in on this thread, who cannot open their mouths without saying something that is specifically intended to incite a battle. There are enough of these belligerent jerks to deal with in day-to-day life, but here in anonymous space they sprout like mushrooms after a rainstorm.

In contrast to that, a bit of profanity is nothing. JMHO.

John

Posts: 1028 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 01 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i think a real problem, both pro and con, is that some folks tend to take themselves far to seriously on these forums, and also tend to over-estimate their importance to the overall community. i place myself in this category a lot of times, so i am not pointng any specific fingers.

my advice is for all to chill and not worry about too much. if anyone needs assistance chilling, move to north-central montana, where we chill plenty. we're all a diverse group of strong-willed folks, and i think that as long as a modicum of sincere mutual respect is shown, with or without profanity, then conversations can take place. if anyone is too much for you (either with profanity, insults, or sanctimonius bloviating), then simply put them on ignore - but i urge that only as a last resort after all avenues of tolerance have been exhausted.

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What is worse, the racist hate speech of DaMan combined with personal attacks or some mild profanity?

Posts: 2435 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 29 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1

Posts: 1028 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 01 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
funny thing, I have met a couple hundred AR members at SCI the past couple years. None of them used vulgarity as a mask for stupidity there, or here, come to think of it.

I just consider the source.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The real problem with AR? That would be the small percentage of regular posters, at least one of whom has already homed in on this thread, who cannot open their mouths without saying something that is specifically intended to incite a battle. There are enough of these belligerent jerks to deal with in day-to-day life, but here in anonymous space they sprout like mushrooms after a rainstorm.

Now who could that be......??? dancing

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mike_elmer
posted Hide Post
Why are we attacking each other over Propanity? Heat your home with whatever you want... no sense getting nasty about it!!! old

Well, they really aren't debates... more like horse and pony shows... without the pony... just the whores.

1955, Top tax rate, 92%... unemployment, 4%.

"Beware of the Free Market. There are only two ways you can make that work. Either you bring the world's standard of living up to match ours, or lower ours to meet their's. You know which way it will go."
by My Great Grandfather, 1960

Protection for Monsanto is Persecution of Farmers.

Posts: 8421 | Location: adamstown, pa | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
quote:

Now who could that be......??? dancing

Just by way of clarification, Gatogordo, I wasn't referring to you, if that's what you're implying. Maybe you are that way...I don't know...but when I see your name I don't automatically start thinking "Oh, no, not this again!"

Let me know if I should! Smiler

John

one of us
posted Hide Post
Just for clarification, I knew that. Perhaps American irony doesn't cross the Canadian border very well?

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.

- Mark Twain

I agree with that. But profanity has become such common currency that the relief it offers these days has been much devalued.

As for personal attacks, that's another story. IMHO, internet anonymity has saved too many posters from a lot of much needed dental work.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13385 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ban a few of the offenders and that would fix the problem.

Posts: 10150 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I guess the real point is everywhere you go people immediately want to make things personal. It is just because they know they can get away with it. It is just more of what I call the Jerry Springer attitude.

Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the thread.

ROTFLMAO, animal

I needed this after the day I had.

Seriously, some of these responses are great. Just glad I wasn't drinking anything. I would have it all over my keyboard.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote