New
Find
Notify
Tools

Holiday symbolism Login/Join 
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
I'm not setting out to be a jerk about this, but when Eid comes around, we have an image of palms uplifted to Allah in the beautiful tradition of Islam. On Passover, Yom Kippur and Hannukah, we have clear references to the Jewish relationship to God.
But on Christmas and Easter, we have Santa Claus and Easter eggs, if I am recalling correctly. I really don't care much about Christmas, but the egg thing relates to the perversion of Christianity's holiest day.
I would rather see something else -- or nothing.
Just offering my viewpoint, which is worth about two cents. I rather like being reminded of the days of the year that are special to other faiths. We are all on this earth together, trying to tease out the TRUTH. I ask my God to bless all who seek with their hearts.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16368 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
Administrator
Picture of DRG
posted Hide Post
Because you have a faulty memory, may I remind you we don't have a santa claus theme on Christmas.

Now a wreath may not be to your liking either.

Since you feel eggs are a perversion to your holiday I suggest you tell the hundreds of millions searching for easter eggs to change their symbolism.

Geez,

Don

Posts: 26540 | Location: Where the pilgrims landed | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A needless and inappropriate response.

Posts: 1067 | Location: Mentone, Alabama | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Bill,

If there are particular religious symbols you would prefer for Christmas and Easter, please forward them for consideration.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Maybe it is about time everyone quit tak9ing themselves so seriously.

Look at the differences between the manner in which the various People celebrate the Holidays versus the way the various Religions celebrate such days.

In America, or at least the one I grew up in, it was Merry Christmas and Happy Easter, what is wrong with either of those concepts.

We all know what the two Holidays represent, but is there any reason we can not celebrate them in a manner that promotes joy and Good Will?

Personally and I really do not care what others on this site think of me, but I feel that the manner in which Christmas and Easter are acknowledged on here is good enough.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GeorgeS:
Bill,

If there are particular religious symbols you would prefer for Christmas and Easter, please forward them for consideration.

George

The greatest symbol for the Christian is an empty tomb or empty cross.

Posts: 10150 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:
quote:
Originally posted by GeorgeS:
Bill,

George

The greatest symbol for the Christian is an empty tomb or empty cross.

Sounds good.

How about an empty dinner table at Christmas too?

Whatever we do, someone will complain.

We respect and celebrate all religious and historical occasions.

Personally, I am not sure which is more important.

As both have been corrupted to the extent I am not sure they are what they were meant to be.

Be with your own God as wish, and celebrate him as you wish, and leave others to do likewise.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66931 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed,
No complaints, I understand the intent of this. I have been guilty of poking fun at others.

To answer your comment about an empty dinner table - that occurs and would appropriate after the rapture of believers.
Wink

Posts: 10150 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
And we are befuddled about why wars are fought over religion . . . hell folks get torked up over the pictures on a hunting blog on holidays. Goodness gracious.

Mike

Posts: 21205 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
] if I am recalling correctly. I really don't care much about Christmas, but the egg thing relates to the perversion of Christianity's holiest day.
I

I mean this in a helpful way, though I doubt it is taken as such
You don't recall correctly - Easter, like Christmas, are well known to be co-opted pre-christian Holidays -

Holidays - a contraction of Holy Days.

What's kind of neat is that eggs aren't forbidden in the bible, christmas trees actually ARE
http://www.openbible.info/topics/christmas_trees

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38462 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
Picture of DRG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
quote:
] if I am recalling correctly. I really don't care much about Christmas, but the egg thing relates to the perversion of Christianity's holiest day.
I

I mean this in a helpful way, though I doubt it is taken as such
You don't recall correctly - Easter, like Christmas, are well known to be co-opted pre-christian Holidays -

Holidays - a contraction of Holy Days.

What's kind of neat is that eggs aren't forbidden in the bible, christmas trees actually ARE
http://www.openbible.info/topics/christmas_trees

When the Pilgrims came to America it was forbidden to "celebrate" Christmas or Easter in the Plimouth Colony. They were just another day.

quote:
Holy Days and Religious Holidays.
The Pilgrims faithfully observed the Sabbath, and did not work on Sunday. Even when the Pilgrims were exploring Cape Cod, they stopped everything and stayed in camp on Sunday to keep the Sabbath. The Pilgrims did not celebrate Christmas and Easter. They believed that these holidays were invented by man to memorialize Jesus, and are not prescribed by the Bible or celebrated by the early Christian churches, and therefore cannot be considered Holy days. "It seems too much for any mortal man to appoint, or make an anniversary memorial [for Christ]," taught the Pilgrims' pastor John Robinson. The book Perth Assembly (Leiden, 1618)--the book that got Elder William Brewster into such hot water with the King of England and ultimately resulted in the confiscation of his printing press--was largely about the rejection of Christmas and other appointed "Holy Days."

Piety for a Puritan

Don

Posts: 26540 | Location: Where the pilgrims landed | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I am very heartily sorry I brought this up.
Why don't just we run a Santa Coca Cola image for Christmas and a chocolate bunny for Easter?
And Don, you do a wonderful job here, but every time I see the avatar I feel like I am looking at George Costanza, and hear your posts in his voice.
Sorry man!

beer

– John Green, author

Posts: 16368 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DRG,

the common denominator among those enjoying gathering Easter Eggs is that they are generally under the age of eight.

The adults I know celebrate it as the rising from the grave of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

As HE rose, so someday we too shall rise to face the final judgement.

As far as Christmas, the standard nativity scene would do quite nicely.

As far as Easter, the empty crosses will suffice.

thanks,

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just appreciate the effort that is put into them--

esp. April 1st

rotflmo

"The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane." Mark Twain
TANSTAAFL

www.savannagems.com A unique way to own a piece of Africa.

DSC Life
NRA Life

Posts: 3386 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 05 September 2013Reply With Quote
Administrator
Picture of DRG
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am very heartily sorry I brought this up.
Why don't just we run a Santa Coca Cola image for Christmas and a chocolate bunny for Easter?
And Don, you do a wonderful job here, but every time I see the avatar I feel like I am looking at George Costanza, and hear your posts in his voice.
Sorry man!

beer

Bill:

How do you know I'm NOT George C.

Remember we all post under pseudonyms here.

George

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Ya mean ta say, "ALL IS NOT AS IT SEEMS" here at Saeed's Internet ant farm?

GAAAAAA!

Eeker

– John Green, author

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Oh, I get it. You have to be Orthodox to get holiday symbolism respect. My first time 'round, I was married by a Russian Orthodox priest, so I guess I'll take it.

– John Green, author

Administrator
Picture of DRG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Oh, I get it. You have to be Orthodox to get holiday symbolism respect. My first time 'round, I was married by a Russian Orthodox priest, so I guess I'll take it.

Don

one of us
posted Hide Post
[URL= ]easter[/URL]

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted Hide Post
Thanks, George.

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Your welcome,Doug.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote