Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Long Range Forum? Login/Join 
One of Us
posted
I have noticed a significant increase of the interest in Long Range Shooting and or Hunting particularly 1000yds and beyond. I am currently torn between posting in American Hunting and the Benchrest/Target shooting forum.

Anyone else feel the same way?

Saeed, if there is enough interest could we please have a Long Range Hunting/Shooting Forum?

Andy

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Guaranteed to draw fire from the AR "ethics committee!"

I think there is sufficient interest. It might cut down on the fighting in some of the other forums.

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
If there is sufficient interest, I will be happy to set one up for you.

Let us have your votes.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67018 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
I'll be waving both hands and jumping up and down. Is that sufficient voting?

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd rather see a long range shootig forum. Where we can discuss long range builds, optics, and such. Regardless where your intrest lie, such as paper punching, practical steel matches or hunting. I think just limiting it to hunting will not be as benifical as opening it up to all aspects of long range shooting.

I'm currently in the process of getting into what I consider long range shooting. Most of what I'll do with it is long range varmint and steel targets. Caliber/cartridge decision and Optics were some of the hardest things for me to work out.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by taylorce1:
I'd rather see a long range shootig forum. Where we can discuss long range builds, optics, and such. Regardless where your intrest lie, such as paper punching, practical steel matches or hunting. I think just limiting it to hunting will not be as benifical as opening it up to all aspects of long range shooting.

I'm currently in the process of getting into what I consider long range shooting. Most of what I'll do with it is long range varmint and steel targets. Caliber/cartridge decision and Optics were some of the hardest things for me to work out.

I agree completely.

All of the discussions on the new forum can be applied to whatever discipline the participants care to apply them.

There definitely is a need for this as long range shooting in general is becoming popular across the Country. It would be nice to have a nook here in which experienced people could better share their knowledge. Right now I think that the Long Range Hunting shows on TV make it look too simple just to sell products. This is a disservice to the average guy, ethics, the game we hunt.

Good information and discussions would better educate anyone interested in the game and head off potential problems in all arenas; shorten the learning curve.

The Forum is needed to better round out AR and make it more complete.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Got my vote.

Posts: 66 | Location: Huntsville, Texas | Registered: 18 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great idea. I'm In!

Bill

One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
I'm against it! what if a target was wounded at 1000yds? How would you track it to find out your score.

Collins
Airgunner / 458 SOCOMer/ 45-70er / 458 Lotter

www.actionairgun.com LIVE NOW

Posts: 2327 | Location: The Sunny South! St. Augustine, FL | Registered: 29 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd be very interested in seeing this forum added.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
Me ten!

I don't generally and wouldn't set out to shoot critters out past three hundred yards or so, but shoot target with my club out to a thousand yards every month.

The idea of the forum being long range shooting generally rather than one or the other is a good one as the principles behind Drew's long range critter bashing and my paper punching are very similar.

No need to separate the two.

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
although I don't shoot long range (over 300 yds)
I would certainly enjoy the opportunity to peruse said forum. I am always interested in learning something new. Those that weren't interested would not be forced to visit.
GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another Yes,

It would draw from enough areas that it should be popular.

SSR

Posts: 6725 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guys I am getting into long range for paper, metal, and warm blooded critters! I have dozens of questions that only a long range forum without other considerations can answer. Scopes, loads, stocks, triggers, bullet performance, actions, accessories...etc without the overtones of hunting ethics or the precision of benchrest only shooters.

Andy

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
Yes, I don't think it was meant for a hunting specific forum.

It would encompass everything long range I believe.

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

One of Us
Picture of srtrax
posted Hide Post
That would be the perfect forum for some good pissing matches, I'm in...No really, (GOOD IDEA). May even draw in some big names like our other fourms have...here to learn all I can!

Posts: 1641 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It would be a fine addition. There has been a tremendous surge of interest the past five or six years in extended yardage shooting. I think the publicity snipers in the sandboxes are getting is contributing greatly to the public's interest.

I would even vote for Tyler as Moderator.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Couldn't hurt anything....so mote it be

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Big decision is where to place it? I would like to see it as a shooting forum and knowledge gained can be applied to hunting as seen fit.

I don't know anyone that didn't start with an inanimate object for their first few shots. Once a shooter gains confidence in his abilities and learns to trust his spotter the rest is.....well the rest.

Andy

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member

one of us
Picture of BigB
posted Hide Post
A long range forum would be great.

BigB

Posts: 1401 | Location: Northwest Wyoming | Registered: 13 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
I'd be honored!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just as long as your grades don't suffer! I would have volunteered, but I know very little about this subject.

So far I count 19 votes in favor.

Andy

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member

One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
How many votes are needed? The rifle forums are where a lot of people check exclusively...might be best to set up a poll on those.

One of Us
Picture of Cane Rat
posted Hide Post
You guys can have your long range forum after we get the Charlie Sheen forum back. First things first. Big Grin

Posts: 2767 | Location: The Peach State | Registered: 03 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drewhenrytnt:
Just as long as your grades don't suffer! I would have volunteered, but I know very little about this subject.

So far I count 19 votes in favor.

Andy

You're right Andy the young man's schooling should come first.

By the look of the thread in the American Hunting forum, it's going to need a fair bit of moderation.... Big Grin

Actually, I volunteer to moderate it and Tyler can chief technical Kahuna, I'll keep the troops in line and Tyler can teach me to shoot in the wind!

(Got back from a gusty and warm 1000 yard shoot to day, still getting too much vertical dispersion, need to find a better load....)

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post

Posts: 67018 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
Thanks Saeed, is Walter going to moderate this one?

In consideration of the arguments that are about break out... Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed, Thank you very much!

Andy

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
It would be a fine addition. There has been a tremendous surge of interest the past five or six years in extended yardage shooting. I think the publicity snipers in the sandboxes are getting is contributing greatly to the public's interest.

I would even vote for Tyler as Moderator.

Rich

clapX 2 beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for a long range forum. Don't be put off by emotional rhetoric and whiners. If some don't want to participate, they won't. I'm an avid long range hunter and shooter and would welcome the topic here.

Posts: 866 | Location: Western CO | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
Administrator
Picture of DRG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cobrad:
Another vote for a long range forum. Don't be put off by emotional rhetoric and whiners. If some don't want to participate, they won't. I'm an avid long range hunter and shooter and would welcome the topic here.

Why are you still voting...Saeed opened the forum on April 3.

Go for it....

Don

Posts: 26543 | Location: Where the pilgrims landed | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
Don,
I just want to reiterate the fact that I am in favor of such a forum. Forget the nay-sayers and let's get moving!

Collins
Airgunner / 458 SOCOMer/ 45-70er / 458 Lotter

www.actionairgun.com LIVE NOW

Posts: 2327 | Location: The Sunny South! St. Augustine, FL | Registered: 29 May 2004Reply With Quote
Administrator
Picture of DRG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Collins:
Don,
I just want to reiterate the fact that I am in favor of such a forum. Forget the nay-sayers and let's get moving!

Collins, I just don't know what we'd do without you.

old

Don

Posts: 26543 | Location: Where the pilgrims landed | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
yuck

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
clap Excellent decision!

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote