posted
How about a forum to discuss gun dogs & other hunting dogs? Smiler

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would have to agree as well.

One of Us
Picture of ghundwan
posted Hide Post
That is a brilliant suggestion - yes please !!

Posts: 277 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 25 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shakari:
How about a forum to discuss gun dogs & other hunting dogs? Smiler

Guess who is getting a damn dog? Big Grin

Of course you could try here????

http://forums.accuratereloadin...rums/a/frm/f/9021043

hilbily

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Steve, you getting a dog? What kind?

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16421 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Scriptus

Well, I'll be blowed...... I hadn't seen that one at all but in my defence, I was expecting to see it under a different category and looked close to the cat forum..... thanks for that buddy!

Bill,

I had dogs for years and then went without when I lived in Africa but now I'm in Europe and the hunting, especially the bird hunting is just soooooooo damn good, I WAS going to get a black lab and a GSP.

When the subject came up on a recent hunting trip, my friends here in Portugal were appalled and told me that whilst it was right I have a lab, as I was nearly Portuguese, I'd have to have a Portuguese hunting dog as well so the upshot is the GSP isn't gonna happen and I'll be getting a Portuguese Pointer puppy instead.

To be honest, I'd never heard of Portuguese Pointers but I googled them and contacted the Portuguese Pointer club of America and a few local hunters etc and they look to be a bloody breed for hunting here and I'll be delighted to have one.

I've just spent the morning making a kennel for her out of one of the old wine barrels from my adega (wine making cellar) and although it's gonna take time to get right and properly clean, I reckon it's a nice idea for a Portuguese Pointer. Wink

Here's a link for the breed: http://portuguesepointerclub.com/

One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
You do know that you are going to have to change your avatar there Shakari. A "Pork'n Cheese" rabbit, boar or something not African. Roll Eyes

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
It took me bloody ages to get that one up there but I'll give it some thought. Eeker

one of us
posted Hide Post
You will be disappointed in a Portugusse pointer, they are strictly pointer's and nothing else. Have you ever heard of barking up the wrong tree? Portugal is VERY famous for that, I alway's thought it was a American slang but it is NOT!!!!!! Please do your research, by the way, there are type's of Portugal pointers.

one of us
posted Hide Post
There are 3 type's as far as my memory can recall as well the stud book.

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Norseman

I plan on having a lab as well so I reckon it'll probably work for me..... the PP will be used for pointing the partridges (I adore shooting over pointers) and the lab for retrieving and (with luck) will also help me track wounded deer and maybe wild boar.

Although I get sufficient opportunities to hunt deer and wild boar, I'm expecting most of my hunting here to be wingshooting rather than anything else...... I rather feel I've killed more than my fair share of big/bigger game and am not too bothered about doing much more of it.

I'd like one half decent red deer trophy and might shoot an occasional deer or pig for the table but can't ever see myself doing much more than that.

Do you mean there are 3 sizes of PP or do you mean something else?

Administrator
Picture of DRG
posted Hide Post
We've had this forum since 2007:

Dogs: Man's Best Friend - No Doubt About It - Especially Hunting In The Fields

Are you all blind? Maybe we need a seeing eye dog forum.

Wink

Don

Posts: 26543 | Location: Where the pilgrims landed | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Sorry Don. My fault entirely. I expected to find it next to the cat forum & just looked in the wrong place. homer

Administrator
Picture of DRG
posted Hide Post
No worries. I'll delete the thread tomorrow.

Don

Posts: 26543 | Location: Where the pilgrims landed | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote