THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    floating the wild river by Bettles

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

floating the wild river by Bettles
 Login/Join

posted
was wondering if anybody has info on this float, we would be put in on wild lake then float down the wild river. What type of game to expect need all the info I can get. Thanks

Posts: 27 | Location: los anchorage AK | Registered: 16 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You need to get in touch with Dan Klaes of Bettles Lodge, he can give you the lowdown. I've hunted out of there in the Brooks, head waters of the Noatak for bou. I've known Dan for many years and he knows his stuff. I've heard of many tales of Griz, bou, moose and sheep if you can do the climb.

John

Posts: 116 | Location: Juneau, Alaska, U.S.A. | Registered: 25 September 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Summitx:
Here's a cut and paste of the reply I offered on the Alaska Hunting Forum, just to make sure you got the info.

The Wild is fantastic but thin little river just outside the gates of the Arctic. The last time I floated this river I did so in an inflatable canoe. I'll give you the good and bad as I know them.

GOOD
-------------------------------
1. Very affordable float option from Bettles
2. Pike fishing in Wild lake and the false lake just before the mouth is excellent for pike (30-35 inches common) and grayling (1-2 lbs common).
3. Somewhat challenging river float due to narrow channels and sweepers in the worse possible places (i.e., switchbacks choked with dense vegetation).
4. Beautiful scenery, clearwater float, and great hiking in the upper stretch.
5. Can be floated in a four or five day period if desired.
6. Eagles nest very close to the river's edge, which makes for awesome photos.

BAD
-------------------------------
1. Too affordable and too close to a bush service community, which promotes heavy use.
2. Meandering lower half, so upper stretch is often misread by first timers. It's not a lackadasical stream.
3. This river receives spill overs during moose season when the John and Alatna are either full or conditions aren't adequate for float plane landing (i.e., floods and low water), so it can become hammered by drop offs from Bettles in these events.
4. This area has a decent moose density, but hunters don't do all that well (25-30% average).
5. Too narrow for big catarafts. I'd suggest canoes or smaller rafts (14-ft rafts or 16-ft canoes). The depth isn't the issue, it's the width of the stream for oar use. Many floaters will benefit by using paddles for the upper 10 miles or so, then the oars could be easily used.
6. The sheep are a long way off, if that's your goal. One year I spotted some decent rams within a about five miles from the lake, but lately...well, it's a changing area. Sheep hunters average less than 25% in this area.
7. Lots of private property on Wild Lake, some of which are hunters.

Hope this helps.

Larry Bartlett
http://www.pristineventures.com/alaska_hunting_products.htm

Posts: 9 | Location: Fairbanks Alaska | Registered: 02 October 2003Reply With Quote