New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone watch "Wild West Alaska"?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Saw about 5 minutes of it before coming to work tonight. First I've seen/heard of it. It kind of rekindled my desire to send off my 1895 for a takedown conversion. Anyone been watching it?

Posts: 1449 | Location: New England | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have, pretty cool entertainment. Fun to watch but please don't think it is an actual representation of Alaska, because it is wayyyyy off to say the least. Lots of untruths and misleading and unfactual moments.

If you view it as entertaining (as I do) it is enjoyable. Fun show to watchSmiler

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have to agree with snowwolfe, Anch gun shop. I did by a 45/70 off him 15-20 years back, high priced and didn't shoot any better than a stock model. I'll say good for him just the same, better than Ak State Troopers.

Posts: 521 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 12 April 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
I happened to be visiting a friend and was channel surfing and saw a portion of the show.
It reinforced the reason why I have never owned a television set!

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4203 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
Saw it last night. Some of the worst TV I've seen! A bunch of self-serving baffoons! Mitch, the old gunsmith was rude and apathetic to customer needs. I think it did Wild West Guns more bad than good. A lot of phoney, BS drama! Thanks, but I 'd rather watch Sesame Street.

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3316 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i watched it - i didn't know there were elk so close to anchorage Roll Eyes and you could get the gold miners just down the blakctop road bewildered but at least they didn't have any of them thar evil ar's Whistling barf

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
"Reality television"? What an oxymoron.
Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, reality TV. It's hard to believe some people take the story and characters seriously. Having been in another Alaska "reality" show I can tell you it's scripted, most of the "customers" are cast for the show, and the regular cast n the show is pretty much told how to act.
It is good entertainment though, knowing most of the players in that show.

Posts: 141 | Location: Eastern Oregon | Registered: 26 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, guess ill just delete that from my dvr before even watching it.... homer

Posts: 1449 | Location: New England | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The bear hunt in Anchorage (for the bear supposedly plotting to kill the penned horse) was hilarious. After finding a rub tree the guy held his hand 5+ feet above the ground and said that would be the top of the bear's back. Guess no one ever told him bears stand up to rub and reach as high as they can.

BTW--when they were about to hose the bear, how could it be DLP if the bear was only thinking about the horse??

One of Us
Picture of Alaskaman11
posted Hide Post
Thoses ass hats have the customer service skills of a infected rectal wart! Mad I hate going in there, that guy with a new York accent has made what could be a good shop a outhouse! all the talent left when Steve started his own shop, I will not watch it!

horse

Double Rifles, This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight. Not as clumsy or random as bolt rifle. An elegant weapon for a more civilized age.

DRSS
Chapuis 9.3x74R
NRA Life Member

Posts: 293 | Location: Anchorage Alaska | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Please step away from the remote and pass that channel when it's on, thus hurt ratings maybe it will be dead in the water by next year.

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I stopped in their shop on my last trip to Anchorage. I had a yen for a nice lever action. That little gray headed manager was so rude I said "never mind" and left. He's a jerk and rude to customers. I'll never go back, don't like the show either. The little blond girl, Phred, she's cute though.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I emailed them once about some of the parts they make for the Marlin 45-70. He emailed back that he did not have time for emails and if I wanted something to call them.

Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times.

Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.

Posts: 697 | Location: Dublin, Georgia | Registered: 19 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Their smiths are actually really good guys, and jim is very friendly as long as you agree with him. Ken is the one nobody likes. Brian, hans, and mitch are all realy nice guys and good gun smiths. Thier products are pretty good, espesially their aftermarket parts.

Posts: 671 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dirklawyer:
Please step away from the remote and pass that channel when it's on, thus hurt ratings maybe it will be dead in the water by next year.

Yes, pleeez.

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Without throwing the baby out with the bathwater I especially appreciate Brian and Hans, standup guys, I don't know the others that well.

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
I'm still trying to figure out why it's on Animal Planet?! Always thought Animal Planet was for bunny huggers and pro-PETA people like the folks on "Whale Wars."

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sevens:
I'm still trying to figure out why it's on Animal Planet?! Always thought Animal Planet was for bunny huggers and pro-PETA people like the folks on "Whale Wars."

I was surprised as well when I stumbled onto the show and found that it was on Animal Planet.

It seems that Animal Planet has went through a few incarnations over the years. A decade ago their core programing was mostly great nature shows such as Big Cat Diary. Then over the course of a couple of years the moved to a lot of "pet owner and animal rights reality shows".

Now they seem to have more nature based "reality" shows.

Animal Planet is still far from perfect, but compared to what they had a couple of years ago, they have nowhere to go but up.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now you know what we feel like in Louisiana when you guys watch swamp people

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

One of Us
Picture of Alaskaman11
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by J D:

yuck

Double Rifles, This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight. Not as clumsy or random as bolt rifle. An elegant weapon for a more civilized age.

DRSS
Chapuis 9.3x74R
NRA Life Member

Posts: 293 | Location: Anchorage Alaska | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
quote:
It seems that Animal Planet has went through a few incarnations over the years. A decade ago their core programing was mostly great nature shows such as Big Cat Diary. Then over the course of a couple of years the moved to a lot of "pet owner and animal rights reality shows".

I miss those BBC documentary type shows they used to do. Now they have a show on cute baby kittens or something like that and the "puppy bowl" during the super bowl. Amazing what passes for TV these days.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Brian is one of the best gun smiths I've worked with. He has built several rifles for me, all shoot under 1/2 moa.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm still trying to figure out why it's on Animal Planet?!

Yep and why are shows like "Brazilian Butt Lift" and "The Wonder Bra" on the history channel? Does that mean we have seen the last of nice T's and A's???

The Elk hunt looked like, to me, the elk were in a pen.

"We Don't Rent Pigs !"

Posts: 1191 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 29 January 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Maybe Animal Planet authorizes the use of Wild West rifles and guiding services Big Grin

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As to watching the show, that would be no; actually Hell No.
As to having had work done by them, that would be yes.
As to having future work done by them after the last, that would be no; actually another Hell No!

Posts: 426 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 06 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 22Rimfire
posted Hide Post
I would have to say as well full of untruths!!!
I happened to catch the show where some pizza delivery guy showed up with a truck load of guns to sell. Pile of junk but they just happened to find some parts that they did not know what they were and when THEY did research it was supposed to a rare set of wolf guns to mount on a plane.
Well I knew what they were the minute they pulled them out.
They were Don Sheldons one of a kind homemade guns from the museum in Talkeetna. Must have got them on loan for the show!!
Come on they could be a little more original.

JM2CW

Ignore your rights and they will go away!

Posts: 149 | Location: Talkeetna Alaska | Registered: 13 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alaskaman11
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 22Rimfire:
I happened to catch the show where some pizza delivery guy showed up with a truck load of guns to sell. Pile of junk but they just happened to find some parts that they did not know what they were and when THEY did research it was supposed to a rare set of wolf guns to mount on a plane.
They were Don Sheldons one of a kind homemade guns from the museum in Talkeetna. Must have got them on loan for the show!!

JM2CW

Please tell me they did nothing to the cub guns, that man killed a lot of wolfs and brown bears with them things. I hate to see that room full of ass hats try to "fix" them. As far as I'm concerned, they could not fix a daisy red rider!

DRSS
Chapuis 9.3x74R
NRA Life Member

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 22Rimfire:

JM2CW

Actually, there was a second set known of and they popped up on Craigslist (as a "collectible" not firearms) about 6 months or so ago.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
On those shows there seem to be a number of hunters using AR15s for moose.!! Does anyone actually do that ??

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mete:
On those shows there seem to be a number of hunters using AR15s for moose.!! Does anyone actually do that ??

That part unfortunatley is true in much of the state.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mete:

I've noticed a lot of that on Yukon Men. Along with a lot of bad shooters.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Alaska needs to pass some minimum caliber restrictions, if they don't already have them. Next thing they'll be plinking grizzlies with 223's. Then the next innocent person that comes along will more than likely get killed. The Indians have been doing this for years. Years ago it was common for them to hunt polar bears with a .222.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Think Darwin referred to it as the process of natural selection, the Treadwell factor.

Posts: 806 | Location: Ketchikan, Alaska | Registered: 24 April 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by swampshooter:
Alaska needs to pass some minimum caliber restrictions, if they don't already have them. Next thing they'll be plinking grizzlies with 223's. Then the next innocent person that comes along will more than likely get killed. The Indians have been doing this for years. Years ago it was common for them to hunt polar bears with a .222.

Funny, one of most popular rifles among locals is the Ruger Mini 14 - they hunt everything with it!

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3316 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Abob
posted Hide Post
Few years ago, met a young man on Little Diomede Island who had just killed a Polor bear with a 22-250.

Jim

fur, feathers, & meat in the freezersalute
"Pass it on to your kids"

Posts: 822 | Location: Palmer, Alaska | Registered: 22 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 458Win:
I happened to be visiting a friend and was channel surfing and saw a portion of the show.
It reinforced the reason why I have never owned a television set!

Well said.

Posts: 384 | Location: Tok, Alaska | Registered: 26 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
When I hunted Musk ox and Caribou east of Inuvik, NT, my eskimo guide told me he had killed a polar bear with his .223 with only 3 shots.

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 1635 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ldmay375:
As to watching the show, that would be no; actually Hell No.
As to having had work done by them, that would be yes.
As to having future work done by them after the last, that would be no; actually another Hell No!

Interesting coincidence. These would be my answers, as well.

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by J D:

But that's real! Smiler

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4773 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote