Find
Notify
Tools

Polar bear kills two in Wales AK
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
The young lady was on her way to the health clinic from the school. Somebody didn't feel good.

A one year old in a white out requires both hands.

Most of village Alaska is exceptionally low income/ poor. It's probable the young mother was unemployed, homeless, ( she was living in the school,) and I have never seen a better example of "beat to shit, rusted fencepost" than the average village Alaska firearm. I'd bet opportunities for the lady to buy and bear any kind of firearm were zero.

A gun in this case would have been as likely and useful as in an African crocodile attack on a villager washing clothes at the river bank.

The guns save lives routine in this case is asinine.

Posts: 9086 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Robinson:
quote:
Originally posted by crbutler:
The whole going on about a woman who died by bear attack because she didn’t arm herself is a condemnation. Going on about living in AK without carrying a gun when you are outside is a condemnation.

My experience in AK is that they have a lot of day to day experience with the great bears. Somehow, while complacency can be an issue, I doubt it’s ignorance of the bears that is the problem.

No doubt women can defend themselves if they want to and take advantage of their opportunities. But a gun is not a cure all, and even the best trained people can get killed.

quote:
Originally posted by Michael Robinson:
To be clear, I am condemning no one.

Neither will I assume that this woman was somehow, for some reason, unable to obtain and use the best means to protect herself and her child.

Many women these days, including women with children, acquire and learn how to use weapons and go about armed, both in the woods and on the streets.

It is indeed a personal choice, which reminds me of the old NRA saying, "Refuse to be a victim."

Some will; some won't.

There is a big difference between saying that someone deserved to die because of questionable behavior, which no one here has done, and instead simply trying to draw appropriate lessons from the incident.

The former is condemnation; the latter is simply observing and learning.

A very wise man once said, "Only fools are forced to learn from their own mistakes. Smart people learn from the mistakes of others."

And, of course, nothing is a cure-all.

But anything one can do to give himself a chance of survival is better than doing nothing at all.

There is no lesson to be drawn.
A dirt poor villager and her dirt poor baby were on their way to get medical attention and were surprised attacked by a white bear in a whiteout.

Posts: 9086 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
A dirt poor villager and her dirt poor baby were on their way to get medical attention and were surprised attacked by a white bear in a whiteout.

So you know her personally.

Posts: 19357 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I take the point that this poor woman and her child, for whom I have nothing but sympathy, may have been doomed by their circumstances.

As I said above, she must have had a hard reason to go out with a baby, unarmed in white out conditions, where a man-killing polar bear was known to be about.

But there are definitely lessons to be drawn from this.

Not for her, sad to say, but obvious lessons for other Alaskans and the rest of us, too.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13384 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
p dog shooter and crbutler might have been fun in the school yard ... mine is bigger than yours ...

Posts: 1730 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by medved:
p dog shooter and crbutler might have been fun in the school yard ... mine is bigger than yours ...

Naah.

I would just walk away if it was a confrontation.

For you (where you live) it’s a nonissue anyhow- no handguns allowed anyhow. That bothers me, but not enough to stop me from going to bear areas in Canada… I don’t think I’m unsafe there.

Posts: 10589 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A7Dave
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
quote:

So you know her personally.

As with virtually every post that P-Diddy makes on the Alaska Hunting forum, he doubles down with more bullshit. I only lived in Anchorage and hunted relatively close to the road - but live for any length of time in Alaska and you begin to understand how poor most of the villages are. Cost of milk? Eggs? ANYTHING at the village store? And blowhard idiots like this blame a poor woman for not arming herself and practicing to his standards for a single handed draw on a polar bear in winter? Any clue what a box of .44Mag would cost in Wales? No. Me neither. I can guarantee it would be an order of magnitude more than the milk and eggs that the villagers have a difficult time affording.

C'mon P-Diddy, you're such and accomplished man, post your wikipedia page. For someone so obsessed with qualifications, I'm sure you're tooting your horn there as well.

I suggest you volunteer your extensive LEO/RSO experience to Wales, become a VPSO. Live there for a few years and teach them how it's done:

https://dps.alaska.gov/AST/VPSO/Employment

Dave

Posts: 917 | Location: AKexpat | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A7Dave So you don't know her either. Lots of speculation on your part.

Did my time have no desire to deal with natives anymore.

Had seven reservations in my patrol area.

Been in a couple thousand native house holds dealing with their problems in my 33 year career. I am very happy with my retirement.

Alcohol and drug problems wasting their government checks on them.

Down here their income problems are self inflicted.

Posts: 19357 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
I’m not going to name call, but I will say that the ignorance on this thread is astounding.

First, during winter here the native women wear parkas. Big heavy hand made parkas. They reached to the knees. I wonder how the heck she would carry a firearm and have it accessible.

And the baby would have been inside her parka(high on her back, baby’s head on mom’s shoulder). In severe weather you can’t allow a 1 yo to be exposed to the elements.

No one up here carries a firearm for self defense while in the village. Outside the village, yes. Inside the village, no.

I know that a lot of you carry “anytime I leave the house” but do you really carry when you walk across the street to your neighbors? That is basically what she was doing. Villages like Wales are about a big as a couple of blocks in a lower 48 residential neighborhood.

And as dangerous as bears are in rural Alaska, I feel safer in and around Nome than I do in a big city. I arrived in Houston Texas for a conference at 5pm today. I have witnessed two near violent confrontations and had a third crazy person verbally accost a couple in the lobby of the Hilton. This was just my first 4 hours here. And the news reported that the police killed a man who had stabbed two officers(one in the neck).

*The term “Eskimo” is not an offensive term up here. The Eskimos themselves use the term liberally(for example the World Eskimo Indian Olympics (weir.org). Some of the Canadian’s seem to feel differently, but screw those hosers....

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:
I’m not going to name call, but I will say that the ignorance on this thread is astounding.

First, during winter here the native women wear parkas. Big heavy hand made parkas. They reached to the knees. I wonder how the heck she would carry a firearm and have it accessible.

And the baby would have been inside her parka(high on her back, baby’s head on mom’s shoulder). In severe weather you can’t allow a 1 yo to be exposed to the elements.

No one up here carries a firearm for self defense while in the village. Outside the village, yes. Inside the village, no.

I know that a lot of you carry “anytime I leave the house” but do you really carry when you walk across the street to your neighbors? That is basically what she was doing. Villages like Wales are about a big as a couple of blocks in a lower 48 residential neighborhood.

And as dangerous as bears are in rural Alaska, I feel safer in and around Nome than I do in a big city. I arrived in Houston Texas for a conference at 5pm today. I have witnessed two near violent confrontations and had a third crazy person verbally accost a couple in the lobby of the Hilton. This was just my first 4 hours here. And the news reported that the police killed a man who had stabbed two officers(one in the neck).

*The term “Eskimo” is not an offensive term up here. The Eskimos themselves use the term liberally(for example the World Eskimo Indian Olympics (weir.org). Some of the Canadian’s seem to feel differently, but screw those hosers....

Well Said Jason! tu2 tu2
I had to block/hide post prairie dog smoker, he is far too challenged for me to read his B/S.

Posts: 2351 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love when the guys who don't live there tell the guys that do live there what's really going on there. rotflmo

Liberalism is a mental disorder.

Posts: 246 | Location: US of A | Registered: 03 April 2020Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:

Agree. Well said!

Posts: 498 | Location: SW Montana | Registered: 28 December 2000Reply With Quote