THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    Is there such a thing as a relatively easy goat hunt?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is there such a thing as a relatively easy goat hunt?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
For those of us that do not much like to climb K2 or Everest or Denali, is there a goat hunt that requires serious physical effort but not particularly dangerous in terms of "steepness"?

Would a "boat" hunt be the ticket?

Is there an area that does not require getting to 10,000' altitude?

I would like to go, but do not want to cart my 50+ year old body over terrain that requires serious mountain climbing skills.

Thanks

Posts: 10148 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ross,

Absolutely! The late season goat hunts in SE AK are just what you described. They may require a small amount of climbing but can be very successful, produce excellent trophies with beautiful coats and use a comfy boat for a camp. They are expensive hunts but they are the only way to go if you want a great goat but not the bust ass expereince.

Call me if you'd like to discuss a hunt.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12864 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dogcat, keep us informed. It bothers me that I have never whacked a goat .... not much chance of getting drawn in Alberta ... busy hunting other varmints ... hate heights so I would have to hunt valley goats. rotflmo Frowner

Posts: 1534 | Location: Alberta/Namibia | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
Ross,

Absolutely! The late season goat hunts in SE AK are just what you described. They may require a small amount of climbing but can be very successful, produce excellent trophies with beautiful coats and use a comfy boat for a camp. They are expensive hunts but they are the only way to go if you want a great goat but not the bust ass expereince.

Call me if you'd like to discuss a hunt.

Mark

I should have known to call you first as you an Alaskan.
Thanks for the reply. I will call this week.

Also sent you an email on another subject.

Posts: 10148 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
dogcat- See my Nov. 15 post about a goat hunt I did with Bruce Parker early last month by boat south of Juneau. Its a more doable goat hunt for us older guys(I'm 73). I did the more conventional climbing goat hunt with back pack two years ago; the most physicalling demanding thing I think I ever did. Bruce has a very successful operation. Suggest you call him. You can check out his website, www.alaskaboathunts.com or call him @ 907-747-6026. His base is in Sitka.

One of Us
Picture of 458Lottfan
posted Hide Post
In comparison, some of the areas on Kodiak are not as difficult as other mountain ranges. You start at sea level and many of the peaks are not much over 3000 feet. So depending on where you live the altitude is not as dramatic as hunting in the Canadian/Colorado Rockies. All that said. Busting the first mile or so of brush to get above the alders can be a killer if you are cutting your own trail. I absolutely love hunting Kodiak. That place is amazing!

Posts: 583 | Location: Mesa, AZ | Registered: 08 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of AKJD
posted Hide Post
I would have to agree that Kodiak can be mild compared to some other areas of the state for goats. Go earlier in the season and in some areas you can land on an alpine lake to save the climb up. I hunted Zachar River in October 2 years ago and walked from salt because the lakes were frozen. Of course you have to draw a tag to hunt Kodiak but for some of the areas the odds are pretty good..
JD

Posts: 323 | Location: Fairbanks AK | Registered: 27 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
now that marks got his business plug in here, i'll vote for kodiak as well. Alot of the hunts on the road system are just day hunts with no back pack, leave the truck in the morning and have a goat in the back of the truck sitting at Henry's eating supper by 5.
The boat deal would probably be just as good and more comfortable. All depends what you looking for as far as "easy". Do you want a monster easy billy or just an easy goat....stuff like that.

Master guide #212
Black River Hunting Camps llc
www.alaska-bearhunting.com

Posts: 1396 | Location: Big lake alaska | Registered: 11 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do my goat hunts on Baranof Island and the last hunt we did in December was a easy goat hunt back to town at ten with a goat ,but this is the exception and not the rule. I think my other seven hunters would tell you it was the hardest hunt they have done.We have taken goats very low late season but as the snow flys it gets harder to find them and get at them and seems the smaller ones are always lower than the big billi's. Weather is a big factor in Goat hunts . We had a good November and December so we did good on Late season this year.

outfitter,southeast Alaska, brown bear, black bear ,mt goat

Posts: 66 | Location: southeast alaska | Registered: 13 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chisana
posted Hide Post
I vouch for Kodiak as a relatively easy goat hunt. Much easier than anything in southeast. Try for the DG477 permit on Kodiak. Little brush, good access and plenty of goats.

NRA Life Member
GOA Life Member
Distinguished Rifleman
President's Hundred

Posts: 390 | Location: Juneau, Alaska | Registered: 11 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don B
posted Hide Post

Do yourself a favor. Set you sights high. Hit the gym, pound some pavement, stomp some bleachers and have the trip of a lifetime in Southeast! You'll live longer (for the exercise) or die happy (from the exertion).
Don
PS I'm 48 in this photo, and if I didn't have spikes (Caulks) on my boots, I'd have been sliding!

Posts: 218 | Location: Lawrenceville, GA | Registered: 22 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muskegex
posted Hide Post
Great Picture Doc .... remember this one !!!!

A picture of your spike (Caulk) boots !!!!

Posts: 134 | Location: ketchikan | Registered: 28 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kodiak gets my vote for what it's worth. If you get er done early go after deer.

Posts: 32 | Location: eagle river | Registered: 17 November 2006Reply With Quote