New
Find
Notify
Tools

ABCs or peninsula?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I’m still researching and giving thought to a fall of 2007 brown bear hunt and in my research I’ve found hunts for the Alaskan Peninsula and the ABC Islands. What would be the pros and cons of each? From what I’ve seen most of the peninsula hunts are from tent camps with most of the island hunts being boat based. Not that I have a preference, or haven’t stayed in a tent before, but seems to me that with a boat hunt it would be easier to move where the bears are. Plus there is the added bonus of staying in a warm, dry boat. On the downside some outfitters have as many as 3 hunters, and 3 guides, per boat, and I’m not sure how that would work. Such as, if you spot a bear from the boat, what do you do? Flip a coin to see who goes first? On the upside, some of the island hunts also offer Sitka deer hunting “if†you tag out early. I like the sound of that but if I’m flying this far and paying this much to hunt brown bear then I’m going to concentrate on the bear first and the deer would be just that, a bonus. I’m not looking for a new world recorded, just a nice 8 ½ to 9 foot bear and odds are really good that I’m only going to get to do this once. So I want to be in the best place to give me a chance of successfully taking a bear. Which would you recommend?

Posts: 1739 | Location: alabama | Registered: 13 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i took a boat hunt with jimmie rosenbusch awhile ago & it was fantastic. Not only bear (both brown and black) but you do some fishing, clamming etc. Jimmie is however a bit on the pricey side (i think hes something like 18 grand now). Downside is that the bears off south admiralty are smaller than the pennisula. (like 9' is a pretty good bear)

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DennisHP
posted Hide Post
I have a boat based hunt for Brown Bear and Black Bear this May and while it was not cheap, it was not as expensive as Rosenbusch's hunts. I booked thru Atcheson's with ...

Alaska Coastal Guiding

Posts: 3931 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just got a nice new shinny "2006 Hunting Almanac" from Atchesons, I've been thinking of calling them. Thanks.

one of us
Picture of MuskegMan
posted Hide Post
There ain't no BB's here in S.E. so you may as well forget the ABC's. Hunt out on the end of the Chain on Unimak Island.

What type of muskets do you boys bring to Alaska to hunt BB's with anyway? Just curious.

MM

Posts: 2097 | Location: S.E. Alaska | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
Both area's have their advantages. south east will be a more comfortable hunt while your onboard a boat but I don't envy stalking a bear up the side of a devil's club infested hill. Also the hide quality will not be as good down there ether (but keep in mind that the really big bears don't normally have good hides anyway)
I'd vote for the pennensula

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got a Remington in 35whelen pushing a 225gr TSX at just under 2600fps. If I get to do a BB hunt most likely I'll use it.

one of us
Picture of DennisHP
posted Hide Post
Win M70 .375 H&H mag with 300gr. Swift A Frames is what I plan to use. I'll be more than happy with anything over 8 feet with a decent hide.

Posts: 3931 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dennis, care to share your info with me? PM me your phone number and I'll give you a call.