THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    Who is familiar with hunting near Kotzebue?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who is familiar with hunting near Kotzebue?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a good friend who I lost track of over the years who I recently found out is in Ak. After talking a couple of times he invited me along on a hunting trip for moose and caribou next fall and the area that is mentioned is near Kotzebue. I just thought I'k listen to suggestions, and experiences from some who have hunted the area.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used to live in Kotzebue,

There is some really fantastic Caribou hunting, and some real good moose and bear hunting all around Kotzebue.

BUT,

There is nothing really worthwile right on the peninsula that Kotz is sitting on. You need a a plane or a boat to get to hunting. A plane is nicer.

there are several bush operators right in Kotz. North Western Aviation and Buck Maxton were the prime operators just a few years ago.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The guys I'm hunting with are locals and have hunted there before. I am assuming that we will be flown in to the actual hunting area, although I don't have the specifics yet. i just know that our jumping off spot is Kotzebue. An old co-worker and hunting buddy of mine has been relocated to Ak. and I am hunting with him and some other guys. He says they killed four big moose in the area last year.

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
jstevens,

I've hunted out of Kotz. several times. Usually quite a long way from the town. The hunting can be quite good, and local knowledge certainly helpful. Expect a rather long boat or plane ride. This will cost, even if just fuel for the boat. Locals sometimes hunt the areas closest to town due to lower cost, while better trophies can be had by going further. Get the expectations set to begin with, and you should be fine. There is good hunting in this area, but don't expect to see moose behind every tree. You will still work to take quality animals.
Good Luck,

Bill

Posts: 1088 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
i shot a 'bou this summer outside of kotz off the road. a herd was spotted near town, so we went out and took mine with a .308. there's also alot of seal in the area. bring warm clothes sept to may, mosquito-friendly clothes during the summer. good luck!

shoot first, ask questions later....

Posts: 14 | Location: alaska | Registered: 17 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What is the general lay of the land in the area? Just curious as to what it will look like and the type of country we'll be hunting.

posted Hide Post
lots of rolling hills, tundra, lakes, rivers. lots of tundra though, which is soft and marshy. try earth.google.com and check out kotzebue. fall hunting means you need a good pair of knee-high rubber boots that are warm and some waterproof hunting boots. cabelas has great dry-plus coats and bibs.

shoot first, ask questions later....

Posts: 14 | Location: alaska | Registered: 17 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jstevens:
What is the general lay of the land in the area? Just curious as to what it will look like and the type of country we'll be hunting.

jstevens,

Here are a couple of pics from one of my camps up the Agieshakshak about 35 airmiles from Kotzebue.

Camp,

I had some pictures of some better caribou from the area but this is the only picture of a scragley little tundra magot I can find right now.

one of us
posted Hide Post
It looks like pretty country to me. I have yet to be in Ak, although I have hunted BC. I am looking forward to being there next fall.