THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    Which rifle for an Alaskan sheep hunt.
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which rifle for an Alaskan sheep hunt.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Lathrop & Sons.

I don't own any Han Wag's. But the Lathrop & Sons are friends and good people. Dr. Lathrop is a pediatrist If I could afford those boots they would be in the closet. That family does know feet!!

chronic

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Between 1975 and 1995 I hunted moose, black bear and caribou in southcentral and interior Alaska--a total of about 15 separate hunts. Hunted sheep in the Chugach and Alaska ranges--took a 42 inch ram on a solo hunt in the Tok Trophy Management area. Went on one hunt on Admiralty Island and one on the Alaska Peninsula where I took a 9.5 foot brown bear.

I used Pre-64 Model 70 rifles on all these hunts, mostly 270, 300 H&H and 375 H&H calibers. All had factory original wooden stocks and blued metal. Stocks were sealed under the buttplate or recoil pad and in the inletting. I never had a problem with the wood warping resulting in change of zero, or with metal rusting despite nasty weather on some hunts. If a rifle got wet I wiped it down at night and applied a little RIG grease I brought along on a sarurated rag. If I expected nasty weather I put a thin coat of paste wax on the wood before the hunt.

I know wood can and does warp but with wood that is 30-40+ years old and properly sealed and finished, the odds are slim. With a little attention and care, blued metal won't rust under most conditions.

As for sheep calibers, you can't go wrong with a 270, in my opinion, but I used my 300 H&H on the 42 inch ram at about 400 yards.