THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    Single action revolver and holster question
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Single action revolver and holster question
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted
I bet you Alaskans are amused at how TV portrays you folks. Being from WV I can sympathize.

All the un-Reality TV shows seem to show characters going about their business wearing single action revolvers in buscadero western holsters. Not everyone but enough to make me ask. Are they really that popular up there?

I like my Ruger SBH, rugged as a tank and pretty accurate. But I use a Simply Rugged pancake when I choose to carry it. Those movie/ fast draw rigs just look contrived.

Thanks.

Posts: 1912 | Location: Charleston, WV, USA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rick,

The short answer is no. It doesn't take long to figure out that packing a big bore single action is pretty impractical for everyday use. I tried it for a year when summer camping and then I just used my short barreled 458. I saw far more tourists carrying than residents in the bush.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12866 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Any rig that has your hand gun hanging out to catch things and flop around isn't going to be worn for very long.

The old west rigs were designed for horse back in the wide open spaces.

Posts: 19368 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
The only reasons I could see for wearing them were:
1) gets the gun out from under your coat and accessible.
2) the producer told me to wear it.

Sounds like 2 is the correct answer.

Thanks

Posts: 1912 | Location: Charleston, WV, USA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Disagree with Mark. Never able to effectively fly cast or fish with any slung legal length long gun. Spent 7 seasons with a BFR 475 Linebaugh in an El Paso Saddlery Tanker holster. Always had a rain jacket on over the holster but it was immediately accessible even while wearing a backpack.

One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick R:
I bet you Alaskans are amused at how TV portrays you folks. Being from WV I can sympathize.

All the un-Reality TV shows seem to show characters going about their business wearing single action revolvers in buscadero western holsters. Not everyone but enough to make me ask. Are they really that popular up there?

I like my Ruger SBH, rugged as a tank and pretty accurate. But I use a Simply Rugged pancake when I choose to carry it. Those movie/ fast draw rigs just look contrived.

Thanks.

It seems like a variety of firearms are carried outdoors around here and like Mark said, its usually not the western holstered ones.

I think usually handguns are in the tent, long guns around camp and in the boat. While hunting, obviously its just your hunting firearm on you, while fishing, usually nothing at all.

Some carry bear spray, (not in a plane ever!) Some do carry handguns, I do sometimes. Day in and out, I carry nothing at all for all the usual reasons, one of the top ones being I don't need to have a gun around.

Posts: 9093 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A7Dave
posted Hide Post
I do see folks wearing SA revolvers in a basic belt holster, with or without thumb break. Most folks I see (fishing) wear one of the chest rigs.

The most laughable "Barney Fife" I saw this year on the Kenai was a dude "walking point" (in front of a group of people) in black swat looking gear, holding at low ready an AR15 with EOTech sight and single point sling. Several magazines in a chest rig.

I wonder if he was selling fishing expeditions: "Combat Vet Armed and Guided Salmon Fishing in Grizzly Infested Wilderness"?

Dave

Posts: 918 | Location: AKexpat | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Reminds me when I lived in AK and went fishing for reds on the upper Russian; every third guy had a .44 Mag strapped to their belt.

My biggest fear was a bear would pop out of the ferns and I would get caught in the crossfire.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by A7Dave:
I do see folks wearing SA revolvers in a basic belt holster, with or without thumb break. Most folks I see (fishing) wear one of the chest rigs.

The most laughable "Barney Fife" I saw this year on the Kenai was a dude "walking point" (in front of a group of people) in black swat looking gear, holding at low ready an AR15 with EOTech sight and single point sling. Several magazines in a chest rig.

I wonder if he was selling fishing expeditions: "Combat Vet Armed and Guided Salmon Fishing in Grizzly Infested Wilderness"?

I'm with you. Laughable as you say, but really not funny at all.

These bear things get blown way out of proportion. On the Russian River and most anywhere else around the state, some caution, quiet observation and common sense will take you a lot further and safer than the idiot you mention with the AR.

Like AZ said, I'd be worried about those Meatheads getting me with a stray bullet.

Posts: 9093 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Every friend that I have taken back to Montana for a hunt has been terrified of bears. I can't explain it, but they all asked what they needed for protection. I tell them they need nothing. Just don't piss off the bear. Actually, I tell them that they will be lucky to see a bear and enjoy the sight if they do.

They all took something anyway. Revolvers to 1911's. After the first day, they stowed it in the camper, or tent and it never made another trip. Even in grizzly country back home, it is all about precautions and care. Follow a few rules, and you'll rarely if ever have a close encounter.

Too much TV and Hollywood.

I do always have a .22 pistol handy for grouse. I've destroyed enough arrows shooting them, I learned my lesson.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There are times when a rifle or slug gun is not handy. It could be leaning against a tree a few yards away or back on the four wheeler. This is one of those times.

I'm helping a friend who is a bit short on carpentry skills, build a tree stand for him and his daughters for spring bear. The rig I'm wearing is a Barranti EK5 housing a 5.5 inch Ruger Flattop Bisley 44 Special. The load is a Lyman 255 grain 429421 SWC, cast 50/50 WW/lino over 17 grains of 2400. The Barranti holster rides high and tight to the body and I barely notice it. This is my most carried holster/revolver combo. No need for one of those fancy western rigs.

"...I advise the gun. While this gives a moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprize, and independance to the mind. Games played with the ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 993 | Location: Wasilla, AK | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cessna
posted Hide Post
I agree about too much TV. I've hunted AK many times with family their. Be smart around the bears.

Posts: 430 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This information is borderline irrelevant. When viewing one of the documentary videos about Dick Proenneke, I noticed he was wearing a [spring clip] shoulder holster. Revolver was Great Western 357 Magnum 6-to-6.5 inch barrel.

Great Western manufactured a close copy of Colt's Single Action Army revolver. Parenthetically, James Arness used a Great Western revolver during his "Gunsmoke" television series.

Hope this helps.

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson

Posts: 1497 | Location: Seeley Lake | Registered: 21 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cold Trigger Finger
posted Hide Post
I pack, 100% of the time . either in a full flap strong side waist holster or shoulder rig. Sometimes it's my SRH480 , Bisley 45 Colt or G20. In S.E. it was always a large caliber revolver. In full flap since 2002.
Having a gun always handy is most important . And having it function when needed is even more important. A full flap holster worn slightly behind the hip. Protects the gun from almost everything falling or flying at it. Working in the woods always had a strong belt on to pack wedges or saw gas and oil. So having a full length SRH on wasn't any big deal. Most guys I know and respect pack a handgun in bear country. Several have saved themselves from being mauled with them. Myself included.
A friend here made a buskadero holster for his very high dollar ,500 Linebaugh . I tried to talk him into a full flap . But, it's too pretty to be a serious carry gun. Kinda confusing to me. Have such a nice gun and Not pack it because of being afraid of messing up a nice color case and blue job. .
If someone doesn't think they need or want a handgun on them. That's up to them. Everyone I know that has been mauled or swatted by a bear while unarmed wishes they had of had one on them.

Phil Shoemaker : "I went to a .30-06 on a fine old Mauser action. That worked successfully for a few years until a wounded, vindictive brown bear taught me that precise bullet placement is not always possible in thick alders, at spitting distances and when time is measured in split seconds. Lucky to come out of that lesson alive, I decided to look for a more suitable rifle."

Posts: 1934 | Location: Eastern Central Alaska | Registered: 15 July 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
While a large bore single-action certainly has power, a single-action in the field is impractical. Having to coordinate hammer-cocking puts you (potentially) at great disadvantage.

I've owned a few Ruger Blackhawks, but never a Freedom Arms or Linebaugh. Better a Double-Action or even a semi-auto carried condition one. I know 2 guys who each literally bumped-into large Brown Bear up Talkeetna way. Like, came within a foot or two of large bear...

If you need a weapon, you don't need to be grabbing for the hammer spur with your thumb in the dark, or as you're tumbling around on the ground. Anywhere else, take your SA handgun and have fun.

One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
40 years ago when I arrived in Ak I rushed out and bought a Super Blackhawk in 44 mag. What a monster,, I switched to a S&W 66 in 357,, easier to carry but when I shot a black bear in the face twice and saw him swim the Stoney River a mile away it was a deciding factor into going bigger. Nowaday's a Mod 25, w/4" barrel (45 Colt) with 300gr hard cast bullets in a shoulder rig with waders or on the hip mostly. It loaded to the point where I can double action 3 or 4 pretty accurately,16grains of 2400 for now.

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1409 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know about bumping into a bear. I've been real close ALOT of times . but a foot. . I. I do know a guy in Hoonah that was picking mushrooms and bumped into a good size bear . He had a 5 gal bucket mostly full of mushrooms in his hands . When he and the bear met. Coming from opposite directions of the bear trail. He didn't know what to do . So he threw the bucket in the bears face . They both left the way they came. He had his 629 iirc on but everything happened so fast.
Having a gun on is kinda more important than the type of gun.

Phil Shoemaker : "I went to a .30-06 on a fine old Mauser action. That worked successfully for a few years until a wounded, vindictive brown bear taught me that precise bullet placement is not always possible in thick alders, at spitting distances and when time is measured in split seconds. Lucky to come out of that lesson alive, I decided to look for a more suitable rifle."

Posts: 1934 | Location: Eastern Central Alaska | Registered: 15 July 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
My advice is to pack whatever you have faith in. And being able to use it helps !

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4197 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 458Win:
My advice is to pack whatever you have faith in. And being able to use it helps !

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1409 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I switched to a S&W 66 in 357,, easier to carry but when I shot a black bear in the face twice and saw him swim the Stoney River a mile away it was a deciding factor into going bigger.

It would be interesting to know what the shot placement was.

There is a bit of area on each size of the brain that wouldn't result in a fatal wound.

Unless one is using the light for caliber hollow points most 357 bullets give between 18 to 30 inches of penetration.

More then enough to smash the brain or hit the vitals.

Then if a bear runs off alive there is no need to a report a DLP and all the works that goes along with it.

When shooting a bear my 41 and 44 mags shooting hard cast have given great penetration.

A friend shot a 250 black bear in the chest with a 44 315 WFN at 1300fps hard cast in the chest the bullet was found under the hide on the Right rear quarter.

Some where around 40 inches of penetration.

I shot a bear about the same size, with the same bullet at 900fps the bullet went completely through it side to side.

As Phil as proved with the proper bullet and shot placement the 9mmL proved to be effective.

So carry what you want and can hit with.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In the old joke, the seasoned wrangler told the tourist lady: "no mam, I seldom need this pistol, but when I do, I need it damn bad".

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AK_Stick
posted Hide Post
I carry a Ruger SBH in 44 mag in a belt holster. Never cared much for the chest holsters, always in the way, and never comfortable.

Know more than a few who also carry single actions.

Just shooters preference really.

Only Angels and Aviators have wings

Posts: 263 | Location: The frozen north, between deployments | Registered: 03 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aklester:
While a large bore single-action certainly has power, a single-action in the field is impractical. Having to coordinate hammer-cocking puts you (potentially) at great disadvantage.

I've owned a few Ruger Blackhawks, but never a Freedom Arms or Linebaugh. Better a Double-Action or even a semi-auto carried condition one. I know 2 guys who each literally bumped-into large Brown Bear up Talkeetna way. Like, came within a foot or two of large bear...

If you need a weapon, you don't need to be grabbing for the hammer spur with your thumb in the dark, or as you're tumbling around on the ground. Anywhere else, take your SA handgun and have fun.
While as a general tendency I would agree, you imply the handgun would be "powerful." Until the Rice Ridge wildfire sort've cleared the dense forest where I will hunt again next year, I routinely carried a FA Model 97 45 Colt loaded to emulate a heavy 44 Magnum. The recoil of this revolver and [much more so] the 475 Linebaugh I carried until I recognized it was too much for me to use is so intense that thumb-cocking becomes no more time consuming or counter-intuitive than recovering from recovery from my SRH 480 Ruger revolver.

Having typed that, I believe that no revolver or semiautomatic handgun mechanism is useful during a "surprise" visit by something that is capable of dismembering me. There is no such thing as a quick draw or quick response to such a grizzly surprise. My revolver probably furnishes peace of mind rather than security.

So long as my revolver stays retained by my cross-draw holster's strap, it will retain its functionality as effectively as any other. Its advantage compared with full-flap and shoulder holsters is its svelteness - not bulking up to interfere with life when I carry.

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson

Posts: 1497 | Location: Seeley Lake | Registered: 21 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
There is no such thing as a quick draw or quick response to such a grizzly surprise.

Then one needs more practice a pistol handler should be able to draw and hit a target at 7 yards the size of a playing card in 1.5 seconds.

The same time to deploy spray from a proper carrier is normal.

A very good or great handler in less then that.

I have watched thousands of draws form a duty holsters by hundreds of police officers and others meet the 1.5 second time.

So if one has more then 2 seconds of time one should be able deploy ones defensive weapon effectively. The above story says they had 3 to 4 seconds.

Being able to deploy a defensive weapon in a short time period is a matter of training and mind set.

Lacking in one area or the other well slow ones reactions down.

The oh shit this can't be happening is a huge factor. One needs mental conditioning to over come that.

Situational awareness can give people more time then that. In the case of many attacks they knew a bear was around.

Not acting on that information by getting ready or being more alert can cause a delay in ones actions.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The easiest way to be forewarned is to have a good dog or 2.
One of the biggest reasons I've had time to deal with problem bears is I've pretty much always had a good dog with me. I think a 3 way cross breed consisting of grey wolf , German Shepard and golden retriever is about perfect. Intelligent, tough and dead loyal.
That and keep a bear rifle in hand , and a sidearm as auxiliary ;-) .

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Naphtali:
quote:

While as a general tendency I would agree, you imply the handgun would be "powerful." Until the Rice Ridge wildfire sort've cleared the dense forest where I will hunt again next year, I routinely carried a FA Model 97 45 Colt loaded to emulate a heavy 44 Magnum. The recoil of this revolver and [much more so] the 475 Linebaugh I carried until I recognized it was too much for me to use is so intense that thumb-cocking becomes no more time consuming or counter-intuitive than recovering from recovery from my SRH 480 Ruger revolver.

Having typed that, I believe that no revolver or semiautomatic handgun mechanism is useful during a "surprise" visit by something that is capable of dismembering me. There is no such thing as a quick draw or quick response to such a grizzly surprise. My revolver probably furnishes peace of mind rather than security.

So long as my revolver stays retained by my cross-draw holster's strap, it will retain its functionality as effectively as any other. Its advantage compared with full-flap and shoulder holsters is its svelteness - not bulking up to interfere with life when I carry.

The full flap is no more intrusive than a snapped strap is. Definately protects the gun more.

One of Us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Its advantage compared with full-flap and shoulder holsters is its svelteness - not bulking up to interfere with life when I carry

I carry a handgun every day 99 percent of the time in a black hawk serpa now days.

Full flaps do protect better.

Every day carry is hard on guns.

That's why I prefer stainless handguns they just hold up better then other finishes.

I am heading out to run bears with the hounds to day my TI 41 mag is going with in a old nylon pancake with thumb break and most likely a lanyard on it.

Running through very thick brush is a good way to lose ones gun.

One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
CTF,

Love those Bisley model Blackhawks. tu2

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2796 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For me , a stainless Bisley Blackhawk is the ultimate handgun for me to own and pack. . For practicality my G20SF . for as much power as I can use , the SRH in 480 .

I tried several different holsters for my wife with her pistol. She chose a Blackhawk paddle. Kinda puts my hard work making holsters to naught. But , she likes the Blackhawk. And uses it everyday. So I'm happy. Plastic pistol in a plastic holster , oh well.
If it works for her , It Works for me !

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Happy wife happy life.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buddy was out in the neighborhood woods with wife and child some years back. Walked around a large cottonwood tree and Bingo! Other guy was bringing groceries in from his car, a 50yd walk from where he parks, in the dark on his trail to the driveway and Bingo! Both were carrying .45acp 1911s. Before the glock mania took hold. The guy with the groceries did physically bump the bear...

Resident Expert Emeritus Phil Shoemaker says, "Whatever you believe in..." for carry. Belief is often proven wrong at the wrong moments in life. Nothing like Knowledge...

Anyone here who claims that a single-action revolver is comparable to a DA for speed of fire and accuracy is delusional. Make the comparison. While the FA and other custom level SA pieces are super strong and precision tools, they do not deliver a 400gr live-saving hardcast with every pull of the trigger.

I have a hard time finding gloves large enough to fit. Maybe a Bisely frame works better than a standard SA Colt frame? Always had to do the hand dance to get my thumb in position to cock the hammer on a SA.

Never such a concern with a DA. Until moving to AK I had .44mag S&Ws and .357s. Bought a .454 SRH and the Lyman 335gr mold for carry while salmon fishing in my area.

I have no use for a .357mag or a SA handgun in any caliber. I have played around with the .45 Super. I agree about flap holsters.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wasn't trying to cast aspersions, .
I've backed down over a dozen aggressive bears with single action revolvers. I've done it with double action ones also. Both worked. Me and mine didn't get bit or clawed.
Bisley grip fits my hand fine . Bh cowboy grip, not so much. I don't know that anyone is going to rapid fire a da revolver with full house heavy bullet ammo. I know I can't.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Anyone here who claims that a single-action revolver is comparable to a DA for speed of fire and accuracy is delusional. Make the comparison. While the FA and other custom level SA pieces are super strong and precision tools, they do not deliver a 400gr live-saving hardcast with every pull of the trigger.

I don't understand your point here. I assure you my SRH480 pushes a 410 gr cast boolit at over 1200 fps. And with every pull of the trigger one goes flying out the barrel. Same with a Accurate Mold 380V 382 gr .396" meplat gas checked At 1300 fps .
And those boolits will go just as fast out the muzzle of a Bisley Super Blackhawk 6 1/2 " 5 shot. I'm not disagreeing that the double action heavy revolver is a very good design . And for some people the best way to go. My personal opinion is that the 500 S&W X frame 4" is a bad choice if full house ammo is used. By anyone unaccustomed to the extreme recoil. Too much chance of an accidental2nd discharge. But , I know a guy that saved his and his toddler son's life with just that revolver loaded with 400 gr Sierra jfn bullets pushed by 40 gr of H110.
I've shot that gun with those loads and it is not something I ever plan to do again. And I guarantee I can shoot my Bisley 45 Colt loaded with 325 gr boolits@ 1325 fps faster and much more accurately. At least after the first shot.

Never such a concern with a DA. Until moving to AK I had .44mag S&Ws and .357s. Bought a .454 SRH and the Lyman 335gr mold for carry while salmon fishing in my area.

I have no use for a .357mag or a SA handgun in any caliber. I have played around with the .45 Super. I agree about flap holsters.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
quote:

Happy wife happy life.

Ain't that the truth. !!
I think I will get her a 4" barrel XD9 as it is more what the holster was made for. Hers is the 3" sub compact. Double stack.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Having shot hot 357s 41s 44s 454s 500s in long and short barrel lengths all double action.

The recovery time between shots is proportionally between velocity and mass of the bullet.

The more velocity and the more mass the longer between the shots.

Having a 460 in a BFR and had two super Blackhawks in 44mag.

Id found double actions are faster on follow ups even in the big boys. Not much but the less one has to change hand position the faster ones time is.

In the smaller magnums a lot faster for sure. With reduced loads for sure also.

Always pondered if I should shoot a bit lighter load for faster follow ups or a heavy load for more smashing power. A 160 to 300 plus grain hard cast at 1000fps givens one plenty of penetration 30 inches or so.

It is a lot easier to shot rapid fire for sure.

Add another 200 fps one gets more power but they get harder to control.

Add even more velocity in the bigger boys like my 460 and fellow ups well be a lot slower.

But the most important thing is not to miss on the first shot.

So the point of this is carry what you want.

Personally any more I have two single actions in the house the 460 and a 22 single six they both do not get used much I prefer double action revolvers over single action ones .

One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
One thing about single action revolvers is to do what the SASS folks do in competition: use your weak hand to cock the hammer. If you train yourself to do that it becomes second nature. Plus you don't change grip every time to recock.

The advantage of the Bisley over the plow handle single actions is the back of the grip is more curved to fit your palm so recoil is a little less and you maintain better control during recoil. Also the hammer is flatter making for less of a reach. But it's a personal thing too. Some folks just like the plow handle better. I definitely think a Bisley grip has less felt recoil than any DA grip.

The only large bore revolver I currently own is a S&W model 29 DA revolver that I've had for many years. I do have a Bisley model Ruger Single Six .22 though. I wish Ruger made their .45 long colt/.45 ACP convertible in a Bisley model. That would work great for my purposes.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2796 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They Do. The one in my pic above is a 5 1/2" 45 Colt/ACP Bisley Convertible. . It's only available thru Williams shooters supply. http://www.ruger-firearms.com/...specSheets/0472.html
Ruger also came out with a 3. 3/4" stainless Bisley Convertible . I think its available thru Lipsey's.

one of us
posted Hide Post
They are also making the red hawk in that combination also,

I been thinking about one of those,

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
use your weak hand to cock the hammer

Only works if both hands are available.