Find
Notify
Tools

Good Gunsmiths in Alaska?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Chet
posted
I am looking for a good gunsmith in Alaska (preferably in the Anchorage/Mat-Su area) to do some modifications to a rifle.

Anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks,
Chet

Posts: 290 | Location: Northern Rockies | Registered: 24 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Homer Strickland, Accuracy Arms, or Vince at Precision Arms. Homer is a great machinist, but very picky about what he will and won't do. Turn around time is very quick.

Vince is happy to do just about anything, but does not have as much equipment, but does nice work. Both are in Anchorage.

Doug

Posts: 85 | Location: NE Washington | Registered: 03 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
I can second Homer. His gunshop/machineshop is one of only a few my wife actually will go into.

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I havent used vince or homer (might have to check them out), but I have used Wildwestguns for the last dozen years or so. right now they are making me a 35whelan on a vz-24.

A lesson in irony

The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing this year the greatest amount of free Meals and Food Stamps ever, to 46 million people.

Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us... "Please Do Not Feed the Animals." Their stated reason for the policy is because "The animals will grow dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."

Thus ends today's lesson in irony.

Posts: 1626 | Location: Michigan but dreaming of my home in AK | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Homer & Gail are both in the hospital with cancer Homer outlook is good Gail's is not Mad Homer builds one hell of a gun. Hope you all come home soon.

There is nothing as permanent as a good temporary repair.

Posts: 265 | Location: south texas | Registered: 30 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I haven't seen Homer in more than 20 years and I am very upset to here of his current situation. If there is anyone in touch with him or his family please let him know that Chester McDermott wishes him and Gail the best and that I will be praying for them every chance I get.

Thanks

Posts: 42 | Location: Goldendale Wa. USA | Registered: 15 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The guys at Extreme rifle works there in palmer do pretty good work. I had them do a lightwieght 375 H$H for me. Thier turn around time can get kind of lengthy though.

It really is a shame about homer he did some of the best work, espeicially muzzle breaks. We are all pulling for him and his wife.

Posts: 671 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
Andy Hawk @562-0881

He is the finest and most dependable gunsmith I've ever dealt with. He has a shop in Anchorage near Dowling Ave.

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1410 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stancil Jackson... best gunsmith in the world.

Posts: 197 | Location: alaska | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Stan Jackson. He installed my Lilja barrel on my Ruger Mark 2. Chambered the barrel, installed it, trued the action and did a superb trigger job for about $250.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6637 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
If Waterrat recomends a gunsmith , that would be a good recomendation for me. As long as they don,t put steel butt plates on 358 Normas . I myself have gotten Reammed. Some of his work was very good but alot of it was only cosmetically done . A 416 rem mag. on a 1917 Rem, Enfield. Bill Fowler put my Spruceking rifle together and did perfact work.However the guy at Grt, Nrthrn. said he had moved south. It is a Stainlesss Ruger 77mkII 20" muzzel broke 458 Win mag. I wish you lots of luck. I had great success with McGowan rebarreling a CZ 550 Saf.Mag.to 416 rem. { I don,t seem to be able to get very far away from that round for long} I had him contour the barrel to original CZ specs. with the lumps for express sights and under barrel recoil lug. And of course a 20 port brake. Turn around time was less than a month. Work is beautiful.gumboot out..

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snowwolfe:
Stan Jackson. He installed my Lilja barrel on my Ruger Mark 2. Chambered the barrel, installed it, trued the action and did a superb trigger job for about $250.

Contact info for Stan Jackson?

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Extreme Rifle works in Plamer is awesome907-746-5849 they worked on my 416 rem mag stainles for me .You can not even tell where the muzzlebreak joins on the barrel.He installed a floor plate and spring also .

Posts: 2534 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another second for Stan Jackson.

349-3854.

Cheers,

Dan

Posts: 430 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 02 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dan H:
Another second for Stan Jackson.

349-3854.

Cheers,

Dan

Thank you Dan.

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Aaron @ Gator guns in Kenai cheers

Posts: 2357 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Boy, it has been a while, but is Homer Strickland the guy who had a walkout basement with his shop in the basement? Would have been 20 years ago.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7573 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Talked to Homer today at his house. He is doing real well & back in the shop working. clap Way to go Homer !!!!!!

There is nothing as permanent as a good temporary repair.

Posts: 265 | Location: south texas | Registered: 30 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just read through this and did not realize Homer and Gail were sick. I've got to get over there to see them. Thanks for bringing that to our attention.

AAZW,
Homer now has his shop as attached to his house, not a basement. He lives on the Hillside above Anchorage.

I really like Homer, even if he doesn't like any of my rifles! He's an absolute accuracy fanatic and my Mausers, Winchester M70, No.1's, Weatherby Mark V's aren't to his liking much. Big Grin

Posts: 1508 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TrackersNZ
posted Hide Post
quote:
Homer Strickland, Accuracy Arms

Sad to hear of Homer's sickness. he fitted a muzzle brake for me two months ago, and did a stirling job. A very exacting fellow.

...."At some point in every man's life he should own a Sako rifle and a John Deere tractor....it just doesn't get any better...."

Posts: 630 | Location: Hawera, Taranaki, New Zealand | Registered: 17 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Finley
posted Hide Post
I had Ricky at Extreme Rifle in Palmer chamber a 7mm-08AI for me and I thought he did a great job. I would use him again for sure.

Posts: 223 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 20 February 2001Reply With Quote