THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    Best Pack Frame For Alaska Hunting?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best Pack Frame For Alaska Hunting?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
Most of the guides I've worked with use Barney's,,from tiny little guys to giants! The system allows you to adjust it to your frame and the padded straps are as good as it gets,IMHO.

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1410 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Contacted Barneys for information on where their packs are made. While the packs, harnesses and straps are made in the US, the frames themselves are not:

quote:
The tubing/frame is imported from Vietnam. Once we get the frames, we use the shoulder suspensions and hip belts, back bands, etc that are made here in the U.S.A and build them according to your specifications.

So just to be clear, the tubing portion of the packs are not constructed, built, or changed in any way after we receive them from Vietnam.

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
For Alaskan's that want or need to haul game on your back, Barney's is the only one that has stood up to the challenges we have up here. The others aren't bad and if your in your teens or early 20's the army pack is fine, but once you've hauled a few, the $280 for a Barney's is well worth it. 90% of the professionals use them. That should speak enough about them.

Good luck.

quote:
Originally posted by Snowwolfe:
Barneys. No doubt in my mind. They are located at Barneys Sports Chalet on Northern Lights in Anchorage. Web site is usually down but there gear is made to there specs. Expensive but worth every penny. There pack frames run about $250-$280 depending on if they are on sale or not. Frames have superb padding and are built like a tank.

Ask the same question over at the Alaska Forum and you will find many in agreement.
http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/

Posts: 5 | Location: Eagle River Alaska | Registered: 06 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TZieli22:
....for a Barney's is well worth it. 90% of the professionals use them. That should speak enough about them.....

I couldn't agree more! I've packed one sheep, one black bear, and two moose with mine and all by myself each time. No problems what so ever!!!

If you're on a guided hunt you won't likely need it. If you're DIY like me you won't look back!!!

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
After usimg quite a few different brands I picked up one from Barneys 15 years ago. It's abit beat up but still fits great.

Posts: 3061 | Registered: 06 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 30 year old Kelty but recently messed with a freighter frame of sorts from "Badlands". All welded construction. I believe it is called an Ox.
No personal experience with the unit. Good looking hip strap and shoulder straps.
I have very good luck with other Badlands products. Might check it out on their web site. I saw the unit at a Cabelas.

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
the badlands packs are awesome packs. I mainly use a trailsend and kelty pack. I did pick up one of those cabbalas jim shockey packs. Its actually a pretty nice packframe. I'll stack that badlands pack up against any of the rest but its not cheap.

another thing to consider is the roll up style sleds. You can drag out quite a bit of meat on a sled. Its the way we normally drag out blackbear from the bait station. As many brown bear as we have prowling around the black bear baits on kenai peninsula I would sure hate to strap a tastey snack to my back.

Posts: 671 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm 55 and still pretty "tough" but hauling out a bull moose hide last fall was pretty grueling not to make mention both hind quarters. This was with one of them 100 dollar frames with a bench on it......lousiest frame I've ever used. Too many voices here about what and which one is good but I surely need a good one as well.

Like many here hunting and packing go hand in hand....money be damned!

Posts: 1019 | Location: foothills of the Brooks Range | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
When you are past 60 full moose quarters and large brown bear hides hurt no matter what pack you wear.
My back and hips still prefer my Keltys

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4202 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Phil, with respect on what you do from vast experiences you use the word Kelty in the plural form...is it Keltys? or Kelty? I've visited the Kelty website and noted one pack frame called the Hauler. Barneys website is a hassle at the moment.

Posts: 1019 | Location: foothills of the Brooks Range | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
At one time Kelty was the top name and largest maker of aluminum frames and backpacks. I don't know the exact name of the frame packs I use but they are common. Or were. I even saw a nice one last week at Good Will here in Wasilla for $15 and over the years have picked up a dozen or more. They came in two or three sizes with differing bags but basically were the same. They used great aluminum and I have never seen any of their welds break - unlike all the Cabela's and Camptrail models that look like them.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot

One of Us
Picture of slimtim
posted Hide Post
Phil,

I know you have lots better things to do but it would be helpful if you would place a photo of the frames you like best in this thread?

I am trying to get in shape for a hunt with Jake Jefferson. ( when I find the cash) I thought looking for a $15 kelty pack at the goodwill here in Maine would be part of the fun. I just don't know what to look for and a photo would help.

Tim

Posts: 137 | Location: Maine | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
REI.com carries Kelty packs and pictures are on their site.

Posts: 1159 | Location: Florida | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of slimtim
posted Hide Post
Phil,

In my search for the perfect pack i found this link:

http://homepage.mac.com/inov8/...ictures/image645.jpg

Are any of these packs the one you like?

Tim

One of Us
Picture of slimtim
posted Hide Post
Dwight,

Thanks for the reference to REI.

From Phil's post I think he is speaking of older packs rather than the current versions.

I could be wrong i have been wrong before.....

tim

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slimtim:
Phil,

In my search for the perfect pack i found this link:

http://homepage.mac.com/inov8/...ictures/image645.jpg

Are any of these packs the one you like?

Tim

Those would be the ones.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot

One of Us
Picture of slimtim
posted Hide Post
Phil,

Thank you.

Tim