THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    Best Pack Frame For Alaska Hunting?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best Pack Frame For Alaska Hunting?
 Login/Join

posted
We shot our bull moose this year about 5/8 mile from the closest point we could get the boat to. I think there might be a better pack out there than my 23 year old REI back pack. Anyone have any strong recommendations?

One of Us
Picture of Abob
posted Hide Post
If you can find one, the old Army commo pack frame, it is not fancy, wood with canvas backing but has lots of tie-down spots and can hold a 1/4 of a moose

http://www.olive-drab.com/od_s...s_gear_packboard.php

Jim

fur, feathers, & meat in the freezersalute
"Pass it on to your kids"

Posts: 822 | Location: Palmer, Alaska | Registered: 22 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Barneys. No doubt in my mind. They are located at Barneys Sports Chalet on Northern Lights in Anchorage. Web site is usually down but there gear is made to there specs. Expensive but worth every penny. There pack frames run about $250-$280 depending on if they are on sale or not. Frames have superb padding and are built like a tank.

Ask the same question over at the Alaska Forum and you will find many in agreement.
http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6638 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
I still use a freighter frame. Actully I have several. I know some outfits have improved and updated frames but they have big carry handels like the fjall-raven or some kind of shelf and the problem with these is they don't fit well in a supercub.

These will work well from a boat based hunt and there is a guy from B.C. who sells a F-R type frame. I don't remember the company but he comes to the sportsmans show an Anchorage.

Your best bet is to go see Bob at Barney's that place is ground zero for serious backpack hunting.

Still if it don't stack nicely in my cub I'm not takeing it.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
I think I've tried them all from Dana's to Cabella's and the one that my back has grown to fit - and the one I still judge all pack frames by - are the older Kelty frames. They will outlast 10-15 Camp Trail or Cabella frames.They also fit in the back seat of a Supercub.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4202 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
A close friend of mine who is by far the most sirious sheep hunter I know uses the Kelty.

Phil between you and my friend thats a very strong testament for Kelty.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

One of Us
Picture of Abob
posted Hide Post
This is what you can do with an Army pack board

Phil, do you need another Packer for next year, just kidding that was 25 years ago

Jim

Posts: 822 | Location: Palmer, Alaska | Registered: 22 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My group of Elk hunters use the Cabela's freighter pack. It probably has a more sophisticated name than that, but I don't know what it is. We hunt a place called the Devil's Hole in Northwest Colorado that requires a two day pack out of quarters and the pack does quite well for the task. Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2354 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jim Brainard
posted Hide Post
Just tried the Rhino pack frame for the first time this year. It is a break-down frame that weighs only 3 pounds. I was impressed. I usually use internal frame packs but a frame is nice on a moose hunt. We carried out an entire moose with this frame, had upto 200 pounds on it. Jim

Jim

Posts: 90 | Location: Petersburg, Alaska | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
R B

Look at http://www.bullpacs.com/ for a strong pack made for heavy use.

jpj3

Posts: 141 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 05 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Kelty makes nice bags no doubt, but I can't count the number of Kelty owners who have come in and bought a Barney's pack and bag. Not because they didn't like their Kelty or it wasn't working, but usually they hunted with a friend that had a Barney's and that was it. The fact that so many guides and packers use a Barney's frame and have so for decades says something to me. There are others that do well, but Barney's stands alone with McCales ($2,000 custom pack) in a very select crowd. The frame itself is $288. The frame and bag combo is on a preorder discount right now for the spring. They are aproximately $550-560ish on sale. Call Barney's Sports Chalet of Anchorage. I worked there while I was buying my practic up here when I first move up. I still work there on occasion for the discounts. Your welcome to contact me if you wish for further details.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
Dose anyone here know who's that guy in Homer that makes a custom pack. He markets it as a free standing pack because it will stand upright due to the shelf on the bottom. (exactly the kind of frame that dose'nt fit well in a cub)
Anyway just wondering if anyone knows.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The custom packs are not "McCale" and do not cost $2000.00.

Dan McHale in Seattle, makes custom internal frame packs (only) and he is a fine guy and his packs are outstanding. They retail at just under $1000.00 for a "full on" version and ARE in a VERY select crowd, with Mystery Ranch packs from Bozeman, MT. MR makes the finest production packs I have ever seen and I own/use five of them plus four of the older packs made by MR's founder, Dana Geason.

I had a Bullpac Alaskan, it IS "hell for stout", but, the primitive suspension would allow me to carry 70 lbs. tops and heavier loads caused me to bend forward too much. This impairs breathing and balance and I sold my BP for this reason.

The best external frame pack I have ever used is the discontinued Dana Design Terraframe in it's final version, with the grey hipbelt. I have two of these and no other frame will pack a load in such comfort, except the MR NICE-OK or Kodiak IF packs, which simply beat anything else for me.

Based on my experience and info. from other very experienced BC bush guys I know, if, I wanted an external frame for Alaska or BC conditions and could not find a "like new" DD-Terraframe, as I did, I would not hesitate a moment. I would simply buy the Barney's Carnivore Frame and have done with it.

When you are packing heavy loads in rugged, remote country, you MUST have a good pack and good boots, all else is secondary to that as hard experience will soon teach one.

Posts: 2366 | Location: "Land OF Shining Mountains"- British Columbia, Canada | Registered: 20 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Dan McHale in Seattle, makes custom internal frame packs (only) and he is a fine guy and his packs are outstanding. They retail at just under $1000.00 for a "full on" version and ARE in a VERY select crowd,

Thanks for the clarification. I've never heard anything, but good about them. I believe one of the customers I spoke to that had one said they were now going for 1800-1900ish. What do the Danas run price wise? Have you ever worked with a Barney's pack?

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wayfaring Stranger
posted Hide Post
Not to derail the thread, gents, but I have an upcoming outfitted caribou/griz hunt and I was hoping to get away with a large internal frame pack. Should I be looking at some of the pack frames listed above?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If the 270 won't do it the .338 will, if the 338 won't I can't afford the hunt!

Posts: 320 | Location: Montgomery, Texas | Registered: 29 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of namibiahunter
posted Hide Post
The military wooden pack frame sells for less than $20 in most surplus stores. Why pay more?

Posts: 665 | Location: Oregon or Namibia | Registered: 13 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by namibiahunter:
The military wooden pack frame sells for less than $20 in most surplus stores. Why pay more?

Bacause you can carry a heavier load over a longer distance more comfortably.

Many people swear by a Kelty, Cabelas, military pack frame, etc. But I would take a guess and say these same people never tried a frame from Barneys. I have tried the one's listed and once I bought the Barneys the others went up for sale and then added another Barneys for my son. Yes, they are that good.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6638 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Abob
posted Hide Post
Wayfaring Stranger, I have never found an internal frame rucksack that can distribute the weight like an external frame, maybe the newer ones can

If you like your pack use it, just carry smaller loads & make more trips

Snowwolfe - I also have a Kelty that I like better than the one I got from Cabelas, have not tried a Barny

For Sheep hunts or hunts that you will bone out the meat I prefer a "bag" on a frame

But it is hard to beat a pack board for loads like I posted above or if you want to pack a 1/4 still on the bone

And yes, I have packed meat long distances with a pack board but that was when I was young & dumb

Maybe the best pack is the one on the back of guy you brought along to do the packing

RB - if you can find an Army pack board, take it along, it doesn't take up much space and you will be surprised how versatile t

Jim

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ok, to expand on my initial post a bit.

Brett. the current price for one of Dan's largest expedition packs, full house with pockets and "full Dyneema" construction, probably the finest pack made anywhere would be $1000-1100.00 USD. I had one on order and had set aside $1500.00 CDN for it, this with taxes,etc. in to B.C. They are, in a word, worth the cost.

Dana's top of the line NICE system, again fully pocketed and rigged will go $850.00+ USD...I have owned eleven of his packs since 1978 and now have nine, need I say more? I have also had/have Kifaru, USA-Gregory Pro and highend Euro packs and I use my gear hard....Dana makes the best production packs and MR's customer service is a pleasure to experience.

I mentioned that my opinion on Barney's was based on reports from guys I trust and while I prefer the old DD Terraframe to any other external, a Barney's is about the only real option for packing heavy, awkward loads such as a bone-in chunk of Moose or an outboard motor. So, that is what I "would" buy on today's new market.

Wayfaring, I would expect your outfitter to be prepared to do the heavy meat packing on your trip...that is part of what you are paying for. My choice for trips of your type is the Mystery Ranch NICE OK frame, 6500 bag, twin Longpockets, twin Fliptops, a cartridge carrier on the belt, a Kifaru Long Universal Combat Gunbearer with a Gun Corral top strap and a Bottle Pocket. Add a Loadsling to this and you will be ready for ANYTHING and it will last your lifetime with reasonable care and be comfortable with loads you need help to lift onto your back.

This is NOT "cheap", it is merely the best all-around hunting and heavyduty pack made and I have two of these and use them far more often than my other packs.

I would NEVER again even put a Army packboard or a Trapper Nelson on and I have carried huge loads on these gawdam torture devices, so, I will not indulge in such masochistic behaviour now. There is very little to recommend getting older and beyond 60, but, one gains a little wisdom..........

Posts: 2366 | Location: "Land OF Shining Mountains"- British Columbia, Canada | Registered: 20 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Abob
posted Hide Post
quote:
these gawdam torture devices,

Dewey, can't argue with you there, but packing out meat is not for the faint of heart

Jim

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have packed my share over the past 45 years of hunting and still do, but, after 50+ years of very active mountain life, I see no reason to use less than optimum gear. I go bushwhacking to ENJOY myself, not to test how much misery I can endure.

At 63, I still will often put an honest, weighed 100 lbs. on my NICE packs to train with and can carry more, IF I have to, but, for some reason, it used to be a lot easier 40 years ago....funny, that......

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm with Dewey on this. If you use a Trapper Nelson style to haul heavy loads, you're a masochist. Do what you want tho.
Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of namibiahunter
posted Hide Post
Here I am, 66 years old, and I did learn something from these posts:

1. Don't buy one of those $1500.00 jobs. Instead, use it for a round trip airfare to Africa.

2. Don't buy one of those $1500.00 jobs. Instead pay for a guide that is willing to haul 100 lbs on his back.

3. Don't buy one of those $1500.00 jobs. Instead pay for a younger and stronger family member to accompany you on the hunt to help haul out the game.

4. Don't buy one of those $1500.00 jobs. Instead buy a good camera to take pictures of those carrying the big loads for you.

Actually, I don't have a military pack frame at all. I use a frame with a fold down bottom shelf (don't know the name of it) but it cost me all of $89.00. But if I couldn't afford that and I wanted to go hunting badly enough I'd settle for the $20 military pack frame.

Posts: 665 | Location: Oregon or Namibia | Registered: 13 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Abob
posted Hide Post
R B, maybe it comes down to how often you are going to use your new pack

I recommended the pack board because I only hauled meat once, maybe twice a year, sounds like Dewey & others use their's on a more regular basis

I'll be the first to admit there are more comfortable packs, it just depends how much you want to spend

If you are looking for something that is proven, I didn't say comfortable, look at a Army pack board

It ain't comfortable but IMO it does distribute weight well & carries awkward loads that don't fit in the back pack bag

Again, for me it was a once a year deal, while I was packing out my meat I swore I was going to buy a better pack for next year, but once the meat was in the freezer I found other things to spend my money on

What ever you choose, good hunting

One of Us
Picture of Chisana
posted Hide Post
Pack selection is highly personal in terms of fit and intended use. Personally I feel that internal frame packs are not very useful for Alaska big game hunting where you will be carrying large loads of meat. Meat is such an awkward load that in my opinion you need that external frame to stabilize things. I've been using one the Dana Designs Terra Frames for most of the last decade and can't take it any longer. Everything is fine with the pack except that the shoulder straps don't work well for me. It is fine with 50 or so pounds, but when you get up around 100 those straps really dig into my shoulders. I've tried on a Barney's a few times and finally upgrading to one this year. Don't know why I waited so long.

NRA Life Member
GOA Life Member
Distinguished Rifleman
President's Hundred

Posts: 390 | Location: Juneau, Alaska | Registered: 11 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kelty and Barneys. I given away and sold the Cabella's and the rest. My wife(60+) is 5'3' and has packed out 75 to 80 lbs. per trip in her Kelty made for women. Your pack must fit.See if you can borrow one or two and load them up with soaked phone books in plastic. Sort of like meat. Bboth will serve you well. Make adjustments to your torso before the trip.
Good packing.

Elton Rambin
Mail/Ship: 1802 Horse Hollow Rd.
Barksdale, Texas 78828
Phone: 479 461 3656
Ranch: 830-234-4366
Check our Hunt & Class Schedule
at
www.ftwoutfitters.com

4 Rules of Gun Safety
1/ Treat all guns as though they are loaded.
2/ Never point the muzzle at anything you do not want to shoot.
3/ Do not put your finger on trigger until your sights are on target and you are ready to shoot.
4/ Be sure of your target and safe background.

Posts: 268 | Location: Western Arkansas/Barksdale,TX. USA | Registered: 18 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DEI 1606 frame.
You can buy their straps and waist belt or use MOLLE Straps and Waist belt. Frame is $35.00 and molle Straps can be found on ebay for around $30.00. Very confortable and fits ALICE packs.
http://downeastinc.com/cgi-bin/online/storepro.php

The true measure of a hunters skill is not the size of the trophy but rather the length of the shot with the greater measure of skill being the shorter shot---Jeff Cooper

Posts: 399 | Location: Cass County, Texas | Registered: 25 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
I used a Barneys pack and frame a few years ago and they were OK but after a few big bears and moose quarters the frame bent. That is something that has never happened to my Kelty- and the Kelty is still more comfortable.At least on my back. Last time I was in Barneys to buy a rainfly for my old Bombshelter I saw that they had "outsourced" to China. It the packs are the same I will stick to my USA made Kelty.
In camp we have three old Dana packs and while the frames have held up supererbly, the stitching hasn't. As for the Bull Pacs, their frames are tough as it gets but the suspension is awful. No one in my camps who have worn them will wear them again. The military packs are far more comfortable.
If you can call 150 pounds on your back "comfortable".

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Phil take those Dana Frames and haul them up to Fairbanks on your way through to Central.

Apocalyse Designs on Minnie Street is making Custom bags with 1000 denier Cordura. They are like the Kelty bags but about 7000 cu in just right for a Bear hide. that 1000 denier cordura will last a long time.

Sincerely,
Thomas

Thomas Kennedy

Posts: 122 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 08 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another thing to consider if you are moose hunting and have the space is to bring a surplus military litter.
They are about 7 feet long, 2 feet wide, and most have a metal support stand underneath to keep them off the ground.
Cats meow for carrying heavy loads short distances. Just lay the quarters on the canvas and put a man on each end. Sure beats tieing up quarters on a backpack for short distance travel.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Snonwolfe I talked to a few bear hunters that have taken bear out of the woods the same way.

Put them on the streacher and with four guys they can move a fairly large bear with out much trouble.

Posts: 19433 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
You can duplicate the streacher idea with a couple boat oars or poles wrapped with 550 cord or rope.

Thomas, thanks for the tip. I'll haul them up this winter

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Could one of you Kelty proponents specify which of their models you prefer? I assume you are referring to an external frame model.

Thanks,

wpe

Posts: 70 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 31 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use an old Dana Designs Longbed, usually with the pack bag stripped off and replaced by a Mystery Ranch Load Sling. 2 dry bags and my day pack replace the pack bag. Hauls more weight than I care to carry, any longer.

Posts: 34 | Location: Two Rivers Alaska | Registered: 30 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Good to see a few still like Kelty packs. I've had one for years and don't see any reason to replace it. People laugh wondering why I don't use a more modern pack.

I have tried and still own some other brands of external an internal frame packs but the Kelty Super Tioga is still my favorite. One reason is the newer ones are overly complex and much heavier but don't seem any more durable and not that much more comfortable carrying a heavy load. I should however look for a new bag. Mine has had a couple zippers blow out.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2802 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have hauled many a dead animal in my Barney's pack. I bought it around 1999.

I would like to hear confirmation if Bob has now outsourced these to China. If so, that is a deal breaker. I have turned quite a few guys onto that pack over the years.

Enquiring minds would like to know. popcorn

Cold Zero

posted Hide Post
I have 3 Kelty packs that I have used for a long time. If you are hunting open ground they are great durable and big enough. When I started hunting Prince william Sound, South East AK nd specially since I started hunting Kodiak I found the Kelty pack and its clones are two high. The belts are attached low on the pack and the pack snags on low branches. I saw the Bull paks and liked the frames but the bags are wimpy. I replaced the bags with a Kelty or Camp Trails, these bags are strong enough and the price is resonable. I had to drill the frames and riveted the bags on. JP

/Users/maytee/Desktop/photo.JPG

Posts: 12 | Location: Kodiak alaska | Registered: 11 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
I can't imagine spending the price of a good rifle and scope o
n a backpack. . My Frontier Gear of Ak.guide pack is stiill working.fine .. I use an Alice packk for a day pack

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
Here's Gunboot and I with a moose that's about an hour from the packing stage of the game.

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1410 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cold Zero:
I have hauled many a dead animal in my Barney's pack. I bought it around 1999.

I would like to hear confirmation if Bob has now outsourced these to China. If so, that is a deal breaker. I have turned quite a few guys onto that pack over the years.

Enquiring minds would like to know. popcorn

Another inquiring mind here. I was taking a hard look at the Barneys frame. In addition to the generally great reviews, it was one of the few frames that could accommodate a 23.5 inch torso measurement. The typical problem I run into is that the load lifters on a normal pack are too low, and do nothing to lift the load.

I hope Barneys has not gone Chicom on us.

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote