New
Find
Notify
Tools

1926 ALASKA Hunt
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Art Young of "Pope & Young" 1926 hunt across ALASKA. These men are in their early to mid 40's Remember this was 97 YEARS AGO,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RXXg37QJxY

ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, balls'to the wall, the pedal floored, full throttle, it is a delightful place, to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).

Posts: 310 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 23 March 2021Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very interesting thank you

Posts: 19357 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Wow what country and what men! One of my favorite books is the "Last of the great brown bear men"

Those are bears!

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4729 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
mr. chuck375: thanks for showing the picture of pinnell and talifson. Did an article on their M70 .375s for sports afield a few years ago. Got to handle and shoot Morris's .375. Probably one of the most experienced brown bear rifles on the planet. I have a good friend who worked for them when he was a young man: he's got lots of P&T stories. Last spring my son and I hunted about 20 miles from P&Ts Olga Bay camp. P&T-two of most historic outfitters ever.

One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by devere:
mr. chuck375: thanks for showing the picture of pinnell and talifson. Did an article on their M70 .375s for sports afield a few years ago. Got to handle and shoot Morris's .375. Probably one of the most experienced brown bear rifles on the planet. I have a good friend who worked for them when he was a young man: he's got lots of P&T stories. Last spring my son and I hunted about 20 miles from P&Ts Olga Bay camp. P&T-two of most historic outfitters ever.

Lucky you! Nice article in Sports Afield by the way. Big Grin

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2794 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
This is a swell thread. I hope Mr. Shoemaker comes along soon.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16364 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by devere:

Thank you! You are a lucky man to be able to handle and shoot Morris's 375. Best of luck to you!

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4729 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chuck375:
Wow what country and what men! One of my favorite books is the "Last of the great brown bear men"

Those are bears!
one of my favorites also and a great time to be a hunter.

Posts: 5698 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
I am sure that was a great time, and , as AK F&G records show, the Bear hunting on Kodiak is still every bit as good!

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4194 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote