Find
Notify
Tools

1 man bombshelter
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted
I need a one man tent that is the equivalent of a bombshelter tent except smaller and lighter to take on a Spring Brown Bear hunt. Any idea where to look?

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What your looking for is a 4 season one man, I recomend a 2 man which equates to a one man with some of his stuff inside. I just got back from an Alaskan hunt and I used my Walrus Rapeede XV which they say is a 2 man, however I think what they meant is a 2 boy/girl. Cabelas would be a start along with any of the other outdoors or try your luck at ebays.

Posts: 2299 | Location: Monee, Ill. USA | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
btt

[ 10-01-2003, 02:49: Message edited by: raamw ]

Posts: 2299 | Location: Monee, Ill. USA | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree on the 2 man tent. I use a Mountain Hardwear Muir Trail and it is a great tent. To date, 10" of wet snow or 3 days of moderate rain is no problem, but I will say that I have not been through a big storm in it with winds over 30 mph.

Posts: 694 | Location: Des Moines, Iowa, USA | Registered: 09 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cabela's "Alaskan Guide" (or something like that) are excellent tents, and can take the wind. But they also have a "Camping" catalog where alpine or mountain climbers' tents are shown. These are extremely expensive, of course, so I would look into the "Guide" series instead.

Posts: 2448 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Palmer
Check out the Sierra Design backpacking tents. They are the strongest and lightest tents I have found. They are also easy and fast to erect. Just be sure and get a 4-season design that is big enough to cook in if the weather is bad. Been there done that [Big Grin]

[ 10-01-2003, 07:31: Message edited by: N E 450 No2 ]

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Don B
posted Hide Post
I used this tent in Alaska in 50mph winds and rain and was impressed.
Campmor.com

Posts: 218 | Location: Lawrenceville, GA | Registered: 22 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the leads. It looks like there are several that would do exactly what is needed.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Try this: Stephenson Warmlite . The website is a little kooky (bunch of naked hippies on the home page). But the tents are one of the lightest available, they also pack down small since they are single wall tent. I bought the 3R for my Mt. McKinley climb in 2001. I also use it when I go hunting. They are pricey, but I think the weight and small packed size makes it worth it.

Also check out: Kifaru

Posts: 355 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 09 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
Thanks Erik,

The Warmlite tent looks like what I had in mind. I like their apparent ability to take the wind and especially like the light weight that doesn't increase by condesation and rain water.

I would like to see those hippies (un)dress like that in some of the weather I've seen on my past Alaskan trips - they would have more respect than I've previously given them.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Guys - just back from Norway - there is a real surge in interest in 'Lavvu' over there.

Kinda like a Teepee but allowing an open fire as well as massive space v weight ratio. They are really good in high wind as well - numerous stories about 50mph winds up high on the fells.

Anyone had any experience of the new lightweight versions?

Ian

Posts: 1306 | Location: Devon, UK | Registered: 21 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ian,

Look at the Kifaru link above.

Posts: 355 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 09 November 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
You mentioned "bomb shelter," so I'm not sure if my suggestion is qualified to fit your expectations; however, I tried the Kifaru tents for the first time this season (21 days total). A friend brought his 8-man version, which is truly a four man, along on two river trips we did this fall. We used the two Kifaru tents in western AK and the Interior. I liked the stove option and the stand-up room. The stove will cook you out...even in cold weather. Overall, I liked the design and its quality. Expensive but worth it. They are VERY lightweight, even with the stoves.

The only negative twist I can add is that these tents MUST be seam sealed before using them in the rain; otherwise, they leak like a screen tent. Once we completely sealed every seam, the rain stayed outside where it belongs.

Good luck on your bear hunt!
Larry Bartlett

Posts: 9 | Location: Fairbanks Alaska | Registered: 02 October 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Are you going to be using the tent as your primary living quarters, or as a spike camp/bivi tent? I would much rather pack a slightly heavier tent that had room to store my gear out of the whether, then leave my gear out to stay wet.

I picked up a black diamond Megamid this summer, and it provides a reasonable amount of room for such a light tent. I fashioned a floor out of tyvek, much less exspensive then the factory floor, and I believe lighter as well.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
Larry,
I stayed in a Kifaru and really liked it. The guide packed it in and I packed it out. Even though it is light, its more weight than I want to deal with.

I mentioned a "Bombshelter" only because I admired one that was in the parking lot at Barneys Sport Chalet. What was appealing was the wind resistance but it is bigger than what I want.

Paul,
I plan to use it for a spike tent and will look up the Black Diamond Megamid you mentioned.

My motive here is just to have enough room for myself, my clothing and my rifle. I would like a fly that the waterproof backpack and hip boots will fit under to keep the frost off them.

I always hunt with a guide in Alaska and they have always packed a 2 man tent and a cook tarp but this is what I find:

You Alaskans read more than anyone I ever ran across. The guide keeps the lamp on til 11 or 12 reading some novel. That causes me to lose sleep. Then about midnight he goes to sleep but about that time I have to crawl out and pee. That wakes him up. Then about 3 oclock and 5 oclock I wake him again by crawling out for the same reason. The next day we are both tired and grumpy. 10 days later he is ready to lose my ... in the woods and I have mentally cut his tip in half.

I just want a very lightweight, wind and water resistant sleeping spot. Thanks for the help. It is really appreciated.

one of us
posted Hide Post
 - Photo of a modified megamid, has an additional 20 inch skirt sewed to the lower diameter which allows you to bury the skirt in the snow to really stabilize the structure from wind. Also has four additional reinforced tie outs attached for extra guy lines, again to assist with those windy days. I take a small two man four season tent (self standing) which can accomodate one hunter and all his gear; with two hunters, the megamid can be utilized as a storage/cooking/get-the-heck out of the bad weather area with plenty of room. The tent, with all poles, stakes, guylines, attic, protective floor cloth weighs slightly more than 5 pounds. The megamid with the additional skirt, tie outs, center adjustable pole and plenty of guyline, weighs about four pounds. If you camp in a wooded area, the megamid has a top attachment point to eliminate the center pole; also, a painters pole works well for the megamid but is slightly heavier than the supplied aluminum pole. With both structures, two hunters should be plenty comfortable and have plenty of space if each hunters sleeps in one structure. Don't forget earplugs for yourself if your hunting buddy snores [Frown] [Mad] - KMule

Posts: 1300 | Location: Alaska.USA | Registered: 15 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Larry Bartlett
Member # 13924

Larry are you the same fellow on the "other" Alaska Hunting Forum, if so welcome and looking forward to whatever knowledge you can throw at us, if not welcome abroad and still looking forward to whatever knowledge you can throw at us.

one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 691 | Location: UTC+8 | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Palmer,

Have you considered a gore tex bivy bag? These are the ultimate in lightweight wind proof shelters. I would only consider one for spike camps as they would be too cramped for a long hunt, but we used them extensively in the military...I would add a lightweight poncho/tarp to give you additional space for cooking ect when the weather is not too severe. There are several models of bivvy bag to choose from which range from simple bags to what are in effect hooped one man tents...

-

Regards,

Pete

[ 10-08-2003, 17:14: Message edited by: Pete E ]

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
Pete,
Who makes those Gore-Tex bivy bags?

posted Hide Post
Palmer,

We get a few different brands here in the UK, but I am sure if you check the Mountain climbing shops on yourside of the pond you will get the equivilent and probably cheaper too.. Mine is a basic bag type with no hoops and it has kept me dry in some hellish weather; the only thing it lacks is a mossy net which most of the modern civilan ones have thesedays.

You could also check the Army Surplus stores as I am sure the US Army as the basic version on issue....

Regards,

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
Check with Mountain Gear for a good selection of gear, to include tents, sleeping bags, bivy gear, stoves, clothing, etc. These guys offer a great selection plus outstanding customer service - they are located in Spokane, Washington. Alaska has our own locally owned mountain shop called Alaska Mountaineering and Hiking (AMH) - these guys are the best you can get when it comes to gear and knowledge for the outdoors, located in Anchorage on Spenard road - KMule

Posts: 1300 | Location: Alaska.USA | Registered: 15 January 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
AMH has a website as well http://www.alaskan.com/amh/

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Take a look at these tents: Bibler Tents. Like the Stephenson tents they are lightweigh, pack small and are fairly expensive. The I-Tent is a freestanding tent that only uses two poles.

[ 10-11-2003, 08:13: Message edited by: Erik Fryman ]

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been using the Bibler tripod bivy. I think it weighs around 2.5lbs, so not as light as some, but it's pretty impressive. It's fairly roomy inside at the end where your head lays, has a quick and easy pole system to give you a little headroom.
So far I've used it on a spring black bear hunt and a caribou hunt. About 15 nights total in it, including some pretty impressive winds and serious rain. It keeps you warm and dry.
I use several different tents for different types of hunts, but this is the one I want to be in when the weather gets real bad. It's also nice to have your own space sometimes, and not lay next to someone who's snoring or whatever..

dave

Posts: 314 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 December 2002Reply With Quote