New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Stainless vs moly in Alaska
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
MADDOG: I don't know about moly. I do like stainless steel/synthetic stocked rifles. But you are right that there will always be basic maintance required on any rifle, including stainless steel...I cannot imagine not cleaning your gun! My favorite rifle is a big heavy .378 and they do not come in stainless steel. So I have carried that blued rifle for several years here in Alaska and there is usually not a lot you can do when it comes to hunting in wet, tough conditions. I worry more about dropping my rifle in the drink (the ocean or otherwise) or just dropping it on something that breaks the scope more than I worry about rust. My rifle always has some rust on it when I get home. But I take the (excellent) H-S Precision stock off and simply clean the gun. Of course, the bluing is gone in some areas and the rifle looks used and even a little beat-up. The best thing to do is clean your gun when you get it home and just live with the field conditions.

Posts: 669 | Location: Alaska, USA | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have to agree with Jodar. I dont live in Alaska but its pretty wet here hunting deer and elk in the rainforest on the coast.I hunt mostly with blued/wood stalked rifles and as long as I clean them now and then their ok. The worst rusting problem I ever had was in Colarado When I put a rifle in a damp case for the pack out of a wilderness unit.12 hours in that case and the blued 700 was covered in light surface rust.
Jamie

Posts: 109 | Location: Washington | Registered: 18 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Might as well pitch in my thoughts - I have been in Alaska for 35 years, and when the ss/plastic rifles started becoming availible I looked to them as being the answer to everything. Most of my hunts in SE AK start and end on salt water, of course. I bought a 22-250, a 338 and an '06 in silver and black - this after NEVER having had any stock warpage or fatal rusting like the gunwriters and mags warned me about. I doubt if I'll ever "need" another synthethic stocked silver rifle, and don't buy anything except blued/walnut rifles anymore.

Your results may vary ---- I personally think the threats to a nice-looking real rifle are very much over-emphasized.

Another $.02 worth.....

Posts: 33 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 22 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nope, no kiss. You might offer one to paying customers, though. You answered better than I ever could have done for you and I thank you for your honest views. You should, however, at least consider not perpetuating some of the negative images that are increasingly being assigned to the Alaska Guide community on this and other forums.

For what it's worth, I much agree with you on weapon construction for that environment.

The prosecution rest.

Posts: 1370 | Location: Home but going back. | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MADDOG
posted Hide Post
Dungbeetle <<>> Do I get a kiss with that little slap in the face. Don't know where you are headed with this, but I get asked dumb questions all the time. Some of them so dumb that I will talk them out of a hunt because I feel they are to incompetent to be doing the type of hunting they are in for. And most guides will agree, and most other business men that, have to pre qualify their people on the phone. And you answer to the question was? Thank you

Posts: 1899 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 03 May 2001Reply With Quote