New
Find
Notify
Tools

Brown Bear Hunting 2012
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I was wondering how will the Brown Bear hunting be around the first week of April in South Kodiak.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Should be fine, although there has been quite a bit of snow this year, perhaps a bit later in the season may be better. Just never know on Kodiak. I have hunted the Karluk and Sturgeon River area in mid-April and the bears were out.

Posts: 179 | Location: South of Anchorage | Registered: 21 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think Larry Van Dale is the F&G Biologist at Kodiak. Give him a call and he will be happy to talk with you on any specific area.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6636 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks

One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
I would go a little later if thats an option. There's going to be a lot of snow down there this spring.
I'm afraid there will be a bunch of dead deer as well.

There will be bears out in early April though and the ones that are out will likely be the bigger ones.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hate it but its not an option I have to go on April 4 and will hunt until April 14. So I hope it will all work out.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Who are you hunting with?

Posts: 179 | Location: South of Anchorage | Registered: 21 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
As Akshooter said the big ones come out 1st,,but I wouldn't skip in the warm clothes,raingear(real), and sleeping bag department. Lot of hunter bring facemasks and lots of different types of gloves. Good Luck!!!

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1409 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hunting with Sam Fejes

One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
Sam stays pritty close to the beach. My understanding is that his prospectus requires this. that will save you from flogging around in deep snow.
Also Sam hunts the south end they get a lot less snow there.
You should be fine then.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
they take very very few bears that first time slot in april, your last couple days of the hunt will be the best unless you guys find that one bear out and about. snow should be melted off a bit by then, depending on how march fairs...
i wouldn't book hunters that early if it was me...call larry at fish and game 907-486-1880 and ask how many bears are typically harvested in that time slot, he'll be able to probably tell you some hard numbers.
but if the hunts already booked...just go for it, have a blast and enjoy the experience!!! best of luck to you, an early april bear off the south end would be a sweet one i'm sure of it!

Master guide #212
Black River Hunting Camps llc
www.alaska-bearhunting.com

Posts: 1396 | Location: Big lake alaska | Registered: 11 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thaks

One of Us
posted Hide Post
got to thinking about my response.
i said i wouldn't book a hunter that early...thats based off the experience in the area i guide, which is about 2/3 of the way up the island. If sam has knowledge of when he starts seeing bears, he'd know better than i would. so i would recant my statement and say based off my experience ...i wouldnt' book anyone that early.

Master guide #212
Black River Hunting Camps llc
www.alaska-bearhunting.com

Posts: 1396 | Location: Big lake alaska | Registered: 11 April 2008Reply With Quote