New
Find
Notify
Tools

Brown bears and moon phase
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a deposit on a brown bear hunt, from a boat leaving out of the Sitka area for 2005. My question is does the moon phase affect bear movement as it does deer, elk, and moose? If it makes any difference this is a fall hunt.

Posts: 252 | Location: Morris IL USA | Registered: 25 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know the answer to your question, but I'm hunting out of Sitka for brown bear in May.

I spoke with several guides while researching different areas, and this topic came up. In summary, I was told that the bears are more likely to be nocturnal during the full moon. Large, older boars are said to be nocturnal creatures much of the time in general. It sounds reasonable to me, I must admit that I've seen more bear in late evening and early morning than mid-afternoon.

One thing you'll have in your favor will be the salmon runs. The bears do a lot of feeding in the fall and it's not uncommon to see them in the vicinity of the streams at all hours of the day.

I'll be hunting prior to the salmon runs, so I'm hoping it'll be the lure of the lady bears that keeps 'em roaming in daylight

dave

Posts: 314 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
By the way...do you mind sharing who you booked your hunt with?

one of us
posted Hide Post
David, I am booked with Raven Guides. Unfortunately I am at work right now and do not have their web site here.
I will try to post their web tonight. I was concerned because we are booked close to the full moon.
The good part is while it is a ten day hunt the outfitter said if we did not have our bears in the ten days we could stay on until we got a bear.

Posts: 252 | Location: Morris IL USA | Registered: 25 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dr.C,
I believe that is Scott McLeod's operation. He was quite helpful to me in the early stages of researching my trip.

Seems very knowledgeable and friendly.

dave

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dr.C,

The moon will only be a factor if it is a clear night and the bears can see to fish. Since you are hunting out of Sitka it very likely will be raining or overcast throughout your hunt making the moon phase irrelevant.

I would book to make sure I was there when the salmon are still in the streams because that is where the bears will be. Very interesting hunt along those salmon streams. Should be an adrenaline rush or two to be had there.

Posts: 12879 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark, do you know how late the salmon typically run?
David, you are correct that is Scott.
I did fail to mention that we are bow hunting, so I imagine it will indeed be an adrenaline rush.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dr.C,

Since you are bow hunting the salmon streams will present even a better opportunity for you since the shots will be close range, the bears attention will be on the salmon and the sound of the water will muffle your stalk. Having said that I still think you will have a very difficult hunt. Being a bow hunter you are used to adverse conditions though.

Get with your guide on the dates of the salmon runs. Generally salmon runs start in June and may last for some species up into Sept. and Oct. but some selected stream may hold fish even later. I would think Sept. should be a good bet but your guide will know what is available in his particular area better than anyone.

One thing to remember is that the later you can go the better the fur will be.

When you get around to doing something else here in Alaska or anyother place please fell free to contact me. I may have something you are interested in. We represent premier operators in 50 coutries and have hunted in most of these areas ourselves.

Good Luck,

Mark

Posts: 12879 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote