New
Find
Notify
Tools

DG 352 lack of participation
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a pretty good idea why only 50% of the hunters who draw this hunt end up hunting. It could be logistics, cost or the P and T (Pain and Torture) of going.

I have some questions for you folks who have done this goat thing before? It looks like we are going to have to hike from the salt to the upper country. Is there any advantage to hiking up a creek bed? I'm looking for the easiest possible way through the jungle barring using a helicopter (j/k). What about corkies or crampons for the slippery hill sides and downed trees?

Any info on these conditions will be helpful as we will be coming from Bethel.

"Take your kid hunting, so you don't have to go hunting for your kid."

Ted Nugent

Posts: 89 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BW
posted Hide Post
I much prefer a ridgeline over a creek bed. I looked at the map of your area, there was a couple different ridgelines that looked promising to me.

Brian

Posts: 778 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BW
posted Hide Post

I woould consider starting onshore near the 'y' in 'Bay' of Taylor Bay. Hike up there and camp near the lake (for water.) Then you could stay on the ridgeline and hunt towards the east, venturing both north and south when you get to the saddle area connecting all those ridges.

Just a thought. I'd select a couple different routes, then pay the pilot enough to fly me around each route. When you find the Goats, and the terrain looks doable, then land and start hunting at 0300 the next day.

Brian

Posts: 778 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey, thanks for the advice BW. I talked to the pilot last night and he said he could put us on that little lake above Sunday Harbor. So....I can quit whining now.

If we have to hike from the salt, we have to. I'm just going to have suck it up. Thanks for the advice....I think I have this wired for now. Smiler

"Take your kid hunting, so you don't have to go hunting for your kid."

Ted Nugent

Posts: 89 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 February 2005Reply With Quote