THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    Packing list for AK backpack sheep hunt

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Packing list for AK backpack sheep hunt
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Any advice that you experts can provide will be appreciated. Particularly as it relates to light weight high quality gear.

Posts: 12018 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gaiters and mountaineering soft shell pants I have smart wool for my base layer works. Where is you hunt that will make a big difference.

Posts: 166 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Soft shell pants--waterproof ones? Schoeller material? Insulated? Larry, sorry jumping in here to get more info. Hopefully we both will gain some knowledge.

Skip Nantz

Posts: 539 | Location: SouthEast, KY | Registered: 09 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
MT:

Near Coldfoot.

Posts: 12018 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
http://www.provingtrailadventures.com/

Has a gear list that focuses on light weight backpacking. The video is good watching for over the winter.

"Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

Posts: 83 | Location: Wasilla, AK | Registered: 03 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
water resistant not prof you will need to have a set of hard shell rain gear also the great thing about soft shells is that they breath and if they get wet dry in Min's. for soft shells i like the marmot scree pants they a friarly cheap and have belt loops which some do not have. what kind of sleeping bag do you have.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
MT:

I have several. All old. Most likely would be an old boy scout mummy bag. What would you recommend?

Let me ask a stupid question. Can you explain hard shell vs soft shell?

Thanks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
soft shell breath very well and have stretch so you can move freely and when you sweet in them they will dry fast. hardshell is your rain gear it is water prof and doesn't breath as well even if it is goetex best just to put on when needed, believe it or not i use my hard shell pants and gaiters for stream crossing and have never get wet. For a sleeping bag i would take at least a 20 deg bag the lighter and smaller the better. My first sheep hunt when i started out it was 65 deg and not supposed to droop below 45 the first day it rain all day next morning was 20degs and 6 inches of snow with 1 inch of ice never got above 31 the rest of the hunt i had a 40deg 1 pound bag sucked now i picked up a WM 10deg bag that is 2 pound. I was up there last month had a good trip seen alot of wolves was around -40 spent two nights in the tent.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
one more thing look at the backpackers gear guide that will answer more about gear for sheep hunting you are better off staying away from hunting gear its not made to the same standards.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have two or three of evey thing if there some thing you need just PM me.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Must have
Great 100% waterproof boots like Kenetreck
Sleeping air pad
Walking sticks
Rip stop pants with knee pads.
Light layer upper clothes
And foot care mole skin, band aids foot cream and pain killers.
Yeah and some food
Larry

Posts: 1571 | Location: New Mexico Texas Border | Registered: 29 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by elk88101:
Must have
Great 100% waterproof boots like Kenetreck
Sleeping air pad
Walking sticks
Rip stop pants with knee pads.
Light layer upper clothes
And foot care mole skin, band aids foot cream and pain killers.
Yeah and some food

I prefer an ice axe to a walking stick.
Larry

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1410 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
Larry, check out the clothing made by Sitka Geaer and Kuiu, they have some excellent stuff that is very applicable for this kind of hunt.

Sleeping bag, get a new bag that is synthetic insulated, not down. Also, get a good sleeping pad, as it'll make a big difference in how well you sleep.

Bring a good pair of gloves, something warm that is waterproof. The best underwear you can possibly choose (not longjohns, but regular underwear) is Underarmour. Their 'boxerjock' underwear with a 6 or 9" inseam is great for keeping you comfortable and avoiding chafing. Wool pants and shirt will keep you warm when wet, are comfortable and you only need the pair you'll be wearing and perhaps one change. You can actually go the entire hunt with one pair of pants and shirt if you choose your underwear and outer shell wisely. Layering is a key concept for staying warm and dry under all conditions.

Long underwear, DO NOT go with polypropylene, as it stinks very quickly and holds your odor something terrible. Underarmor base layer or some of the other synthetic base layers are great.

Boots, I'll second what was said about Kennetreks. They are excellent boots for sheep hunting. You'll want a fairly stiff boot that'll hold up in rough terrain, and that will also help your lower legs with hiking while carrying a pack. Get good quality wool socks, and bring a couple more pairs than you expect to need. NOTHING is more important than taking care of your feet, so great fitting, broken in boots are #1. Also, mole skin and some tough skin to help with blisters. Hanwags are another brand that is well regarded.

Remember to bring along some Gold Bond, you'll find it very useful for your crotch and feet. Some wet wipes too but remember that space and weight will limit what you can bring.

Saving weight will be a prime consideration, so you'll want only the bare minimum of gear, but do not scrimp on anything to do with your feet.

You live in the flatest state in America. I'd suggest you spend a lot of time in the tallest parking garage you can find. Hike up and down the stairs and keep on doing it at least 3-4 times per week. Get to where you can go up and down the stairs with a fully loaded pack, and do more reps than you expect you'll need to hike. There is a 7 story parking garage next to the building where I work, 142 steps to the top. I try to get to where I can go lap after lap, up and down. You should do this too as it'll save you a lot of grief when you get to Alaska. The hills will be a big challenge for a floridian.

DO NOT forget to bring plenty of Advil, it'll be a good friend to you.

Posts: 3874 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
Larry, REI (Recreational Equipment, Inc.) could be a great resource for you, especially given where you live. You'll find them at www.rei.com Click on 'camp and hike' and you'll find a ton of gear and information that deals with backpacking. They also have mountaineering gear, though you shouldn't need any beyond an ice axe or hiking staff. They have very high quality gear in general.

REI is not hunting oriented, they are camping, mountaineering, and general outdoor oriented, but are an excellent source for information and equipment for a trip such as yours.

Also, I'll 2nd what MT said about temperatures and snow. Choose your gear wisely, with an eye toward cold and wet conditions, especially cold and wet for a Floridian. I did my first sheep hunt, a 17 day backpack hunt west of Rainey Pass, at the age of 19. Since the hunt started on August 10th I figured it'd be pretty decent weather. I'm from California, so my perception of pretty decent weather was totally off-base compared to Alaska's reality. I only took one pair of light gloves, cotton underwear, and blue jeans. It rained or snowed for 14 of the 17 days of my hunt. I killed a ram on the 14th day, and it was a trip I'll never forget, in part because of how poorly I'd prepared with gear and how miserable I was when wet and cold for days on end.

That said, a backpack dall sheep hunt is one of the great adventures available to any hunter. You're going to have a fantastic experience.

Posts: 3874 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks all. This has been really helpful.

DLS, I feel your pain. I once hunted with Rainey Pass Lodge. I was snowed in for something like 11 days in a small cabin off of Lake Velesca (spelling).

one of us
posted Hide Post
Just a few added comments. Since you're gonna be hunting the Brooks outa Coldfoot, it shouldn't be that cold. My favorite sheep area is the Brooks and normally, there's not much rain and temps in Aug. are about high 30's to 40's for lows.
A mid weight sleeping bag should be fine (read Integral Designs here) rated to about +10 deg. I'd also recommend their hooded jacket. This should be available thru Barney's in Anchorage.
Both jacket and sleeping bag are made from primaloft and wiil keep you warm if wet. BTDT. ID gear is expensive but IMHO, worth it.
As mentioned, stout boots such as the Kennetreks. My personal choice are Hag-Wans. Get 'em well in advance of your trip and be absolutely certain that you break 'em in. I think that boots are probably your most important piece of gear. You won't believe what the shale scree will do to a pair of boots. Don't, however get the stiff, plastic mountain climbing boots - you won't want nor need them. I can't empahsize proper break in & fit for boots enough. Had to cut our last sheep hunt short because I wore improper fitting boots, got blisters on both heels & lost the toenails on both big toes. Get your boots fitted with the socks you're gonna wear while hunting. I wear a single pair of Smartwool socks. Note that the size of the boots may not be the same size that you normally wear for shoes.
Other items that come to mind are a hat (maybe light wool - I like a Stormy Kromer) and a pair of light weight ski gloves. You don't need heavy insulated gloves here.
One final item that was mentioned above is moleskin. Be certain you take that and use it the minute any sign of a blister shows up. I didn't do that on our trip & regret it. As to a sleeping pad, I've gotten into leaving mine in our base camp at the airstrip and don't take it to our spike camps. Just too bulky for me - I can put up with sleeping without one. If ya want one, it's your choice tho.
Can't think of much else offhand that hasn't been mentioned. The ID jacket is very light & can be easily carried in a stuff bag in your pack. Again, tho light weight, it's very warm. Just get it with the hood.
I just noticed the comment above about blue jeans. DO NOT, under any circumstances wear or take blue jeans. Probably the worst thing you could take.

Good luck & enjoy.
Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
Any advice that you experts can provide will be appreciated. Particularly as it relates to light weight high quality gear.

Larry, I would start here and fine tune from there.

Scrool down to the "gear report"!!

Cheers
Jim

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7610 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry,

boots discussion : your feet will tell you the one they love and what they hate ... try a lot of different pairs in the good quality brands.

try to find about Bellay jacket : take one and you'll thank me.

i love the microtex cabelas pants they re really good and dry fast ...

i dont know about Kuiu and Sitka myself but any good mountaineering clothing companies are doing at least better but not on a camo side if it matters for you.

i like merino wool for underwear but if you can take an extra synthetic one.

nobody mention it but you ll need something to clean or remove anything on your rifle and scope as a guide i always had and have some remington oil patches and bore snake.

now about your packing list try to put everything on a list and picture and ask yourself why the stuff is here and do i really need it? and start again.

all the best.

preparing the travel is already being part of the adventure.

Posts: 1794 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MT:
water resistant not prof you will need to have a set of hard shell rain gear also the great thing about soft shells is that they breath and if they get wet dry in Min's. for soft shells i like the marmot scree pants they a friarly cheap and have belt loops which some do not have. what kind of sleeping bag do you have.

My bear hunt 8/12 proved to me how worthless gortex is where you can get day after day of a soft misting rain. If you have gortex cold weather gear bring it,but make sure you have top quailty rubber rain gear to put over it.

JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

One of Us
Picture of A7Dave
posted Hide Post
Larry,

More gouge from the AK Outdoors Directory forum:

http://forums.outdoorsdirector...p-Hunting-Gear-Lists

Dave

Posts: 921 | Location: AKexpat | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frostbit:
quote:

Larry, I would start here and fine tune from there.

Scrool down to the "gear report"!!

Cheers
Jim

Personally I would "scroll" down to the gear report, but yes that's a good place to start. Your guide will be happy. Bob at Barney's Sport Chalet in Anchorage is always a good place to start. He exhibits at all the shows, so you can talk to him there. Tell him I sent you.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skip Nantz:
Soft shell pants--waterproof ones? Schoeller material? Insulated? Larry, sorry jumping in here to get more info. Hopefully we both will gain some knowledge.

I have used the Mammut pants with Schoeller material while Shppe hunting. I used to use the 3SP pants from Barneys (which were very good, heavier than the Mammut's and slightly more wind proof), the Mammut's are better. I have Black, you can now get them in Grey and that will blend in with the rocks just fine. They are light weight, highly wind resistent and very tough material, pockets are good as well. I wear a light weight pair of long underware from Patagonia underneath, so that I dont' sweat while climbing. You can always put on your rain gear pants or something else if cold while stopped for glassing for an extended period of time.

Cold Zero

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
MT:

What would you recommend?

Let me ask a stupid question. Can you explain hard shell vs soft shell?

Thanks.

Hard v. soft shell is easy. The hard shell should be wind and water proof, the soft shell will most likely be, wind and water-resistent, big difference. Also, soft shell has insulation in it, the hardshell you need to add a layer of insulation, fleece.

As for the sleeping bags, B.I.F. is in the 10 Ring. The Integral Design bag from Barney's is the best combination of light weight, enough warmth at +10 and the pertex is highly water resistent, which is also a key feature. Like B.I.F. said they are spendy, as are all items at Barney's but, they only sell the very lightest and best of what works. Unlike Sportsman's warehouse, or Cabelas, Barneys does not sell heavy crap. You would do well to buy the majority of your gear there, if you can afford it. I went on a 30 Day Sheep hunt in unit 14C with the Integral designs bag and when I came out the snow was thigh deep. The bag was easy to carry for its weight and warm enough for me at night. I do sleep with a light weight H.H. LIFA hat on.

I also have the Brooks Range Jacket, B.I.F. mentiond for about 10 years now. The Primaloft insulation is very light and the jacket is totally windproof. AS B.I.F. mentioned, do spend the extra money to get the accessory $45 hood for that jacket and when you are on a wind swept ridge for hours on end, you will be glad that you have it.

My jacket is camoflage, which is nice for when I use it for other hunts and the outer layer is Goretex, not the lighter Pertex that they are made from now. Even so, the jacket is still plenty light and is worth the just over one pound that it weighs.

If budget for the sleeping bag is an issue ? Bear in mind that crawling into a warm bad when you are cold, wet and fairly miserable is a great comfort and a key to survival.

Your next best option may be Northface Snowshoe 3D, which is very light for a true 0 F bag for the money. I had a snowshoe 3D bag, until I lost it on a Sheep hunt in 14C and replaced it with a Barneys Integral Designs 10 F bag.

Another good option, depending on how warm you want to be and how much weight you want to carry would, be the TNF Cat's Meow 20 F bag. Yes, both bags are synthetic.

Bear in mind, most gear from TNF thesse days is crap and the Lifetime Waranty is not worth the paper it is written on, but their Sleeping bags are still good to go.

Hope that helps.

Cold Zero

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good info! Long underwear material type? Polypropylene, silk, cotton (I know that is a no no), ???

Skip Nantz

Posts: 539 | Location: SouthEast, KY | Registered: 09 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is plenty of good Long Underware out there.

I like to hunt with 2 light weight long underware bottoms and 2 shirts, one lgiht weight, the other medium weight. I hike with the light wieght on and when I get to where we are going I take it off and put it over a bush if there is one or a rock that is out in direct sun and flip it inside out to dry. I stay shirtless until I have cooled off and dry and then put on the medium weight shirt and I am then dry, warm and comfortable.

Many brands of underware out there that will work to include Patagonia Capilene, Helly Hansen LIFA, Underarmor, Polarmax, Smartwool, Outdoor Research Merino Wool and so on. Merino wool is also nice, no smell it dries quickly and feels warmer.

Cold Zero

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Good info! Long underwear material type? Polypropylene, silk, cotton (I know that is a no no), ???

Personally, I would not do polypro or silk and no one wears cotton. Cotton kills.

Cold Zero

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As for boots, there are also more options on that than there were 10 years ago. Several good options were mentioned above.

Personally, I wear German Meindls, not the crap "Meindls" that Cabelas sells, that fall apart. I have been happy with them since 2002 and have had them reconditioned by Meindl, which to me is better than a new pair of boots since the leather is broken in and you get new soles and footliners inside and laces and you save half the cost of new boots.

I beleive they are now over $500 a pair and you can only get the real ones from a shop in Vancourver Canada. Meindl does not seem to have a U.S. authorized dealer for their boots. Do get the beewax leather conditioner from the Dealer and use it. It works very well when applied per the instructions. Do it while your wife if not home.

Cold Zero

One of Us
posted Hide Post
While we are on the subject of quality gear. I am going on a Spring Grizzle hunt near Fairbanks. If anyone has some suggestions and the latest state of the art gear for that, chime in.

Cold Zero

One of Us
posted Hide Post
small roll of good duct tape & some super glue - something's gonna break sooner or latter

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
o yea & some parachute cord

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bet you didn't think You were going to spend another 2 Grand on Gear did Ya...
Problem is you need the best stuff.. If you get weather you'll soon find out your Mortality..
Black Diamond Walking Stick best I've used..

Posts: 16798 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 21 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Smertwool Light hiker socks are default standard. Don' forget you need a back pack, from Barney's. You easily can spend $2,000, lets hope you don't need a light weight rifle and have good binos.

I have a one pound Black Diamond Bivy sack that I keep in my pack when away from camp. Good, Cheap, light weight life insurnace. Black Diamond makes good mountianeering kit.

Cold Zero

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:

Merino WOOL!

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7610 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Absolutely NEVER cotton!!!! Use polypro or better yet merino wool briefs under your base layer pant or top.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I already had some things. I stopped by Barney's at SCI in Reno. I dropped $4,700 on a pile of stuff including sleeping bag. I am still short a few things. The most notable is merino underwear that isn't boxers. I got some good stuff from them.

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
I use the Minus 33 wool briefs and they work well.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

-Seth Peterson