New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kwethluk River Caribou
 Login/Join

Picture of cheetah
posted
Hope this is not off topic for this forum.

A group of 5 of us from the NE are planning a fly-in float trip on the Kwethluk River in SE Alaska for Sept. 2007. Our plan is to hunt Caribou during the first part of the trip, where it is more mountainous and fish more during the last part of the float where it is flatter and more boggy. Anyone been there or done the same river? Would love to hear of your experiences if you have.
Thanks

Posts: 5 | Location: Connecticut | Registered: 06 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I live 15 miles from the outlet of the Kwethluk where it empties into the Kuskokwim. Do a lot of fishing up there. Some very good King Salmon and Silver Salmon fishing at the proper times of the year. In your time frame it should be excellent Silver Salmon fishing the lower you get down. There is some fairly good Caribou hunting along the Kwethluk. The problem is that the Nushagak Herd is really dropping in population. I believe it is down to about 80,000 animals at the present. Oh, it's located in SW Alaska, not SE.

Allen Glore

"Annoy a Liberal, work, succeed, be happy"

Posts: 1058 | Location: Lodge Grass, MT. Sitka, Bethel, Fort Yukon, Chevak, Skagway, Cantwell and Pt. Hope Alaska | Registered: 24 June 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of cheetah
posted Hide Post
Thanks Allen. We know we aren't going to hit the Kings while we're there, but we want to try to time our trip to the Caribou Migration out of the Mountains...Hunting is the primary reason for the trip and we're considering the fishing a real bonus for the last part of the trip. Two years ago it was so hot down further south they weren't out of the Mtns. when we were there. Way too hot then. I see I made a goof on the SE stuff; I knew it was SW, I have all the topo's etc and still wrote it wrong. Tough getting old!!!!

Thanks again.

Posts: 5 | Location: Connecticut | Registered: 06 April 2006Reply With Quote