New
Find
Notify
Tools

Combo hunts
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
are they a good idea when it comes to brown bear hunting? I've thought of maybe trying to do a BB/Sitka deer hunt or even just going for broke with a BB/moose hunt.

Posts: 1739 | Location: alabama | Registered: 13 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you got the money, I would do a combo. Your already out there anyway. Keep the bear as a primary and if deer, or bull walks out drop it.

A lesson in irony

The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing this year the greatest amount of free Meals and Food Stamps ever, to 46 million people.

Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us... "Please Do Not Feed the Animals." Their stated reason for the policy is because "The animals will grow dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."

Thus ends today's lesson in irony.

Posts: 1626 | Location: Michigan but dreaming of my home in AK | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've found it best to center my cross hairs on one animal.....depending on the guide you might be able to work out a deal for a second animal (if you tag out early) on a trophy fee basis. Often times, if you have some luck, you can kill two or three animals, but make sure you don't short change yourself on the animal of your dreams by trying to hurry up your bear hunt so you can squeak in a deer or whatever!

-Ron

Posts: 192 | Location: Anchorage, Ak | Registered: 16 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark

A combo is OK but it does not give you as much time as 2 seperate hunts. In total a combo is cheaper than 2 hunts but you also have less time to hunt each species and because of that you may not be able to be as selective. Another thing to ask your outfitter is are the moose and bear hunted from the same camp. Often you may need to change camps and loose a day in the air. Where I lived in Alaska we hunted the moose in the boreal forest and even though there were bears there you would need to move somewhere with more open terrain to really hunt them. Also some areas may not have over lapping seasons for moose and bears. What this means is even if you see a nice bear on the moose part of the hunt you may not be able to take it.

I do have a hunt in the Brooks range that offers a moose/grizzly/caribou on a 12 day scehule and everything is huntable from the same camp at the same time. This is priced about where most good quality brown bear only hunts are.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12869 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TJ
posted Hide Post
You can do a combo Bear/Caribou/Moose hunt on the Alaskan Peninsula. Starting at King Salmon and going south to Port Moeller on the peninsula. A combo Bear/Caribou might be doable, but a Bear/Moose would require a lot more time.

Posts: 948 | Location: Kenai, Ak. USA | Registered: 05 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark, did you get my PM?

Posts: 1739 | Location: alabama | Registered: 13 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark

Yes! Answered it also.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12869 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote