THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    Prince of Wales island bear hunting

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Prince of Wales island bear hunting
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of thornell
posted
I am going to Prince of Wales island in september to hunt for primarily black bear, but also for black tailed deer, and wolf if I'm lucky. We are also going to do some fishing for halibet and crab. I was just wondering if anyone has hunted there, and what I can expect.

Posts: 705 | Location: MIDDLE TENNESSEE | Registered: 25 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go to http://www.outdoorsdirectory.com which is an Alaskan forum and click on hunting . There is info there on POW island. Also, use the search for POW and you will reach further info.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Expect cool weather with lots of rain. Some of the island, especially deer habitat if there isn't snow, can be very steep with lots of brush.

Good quality boots, good quality rain gear and good optics are essential.

Posts: 1508 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
re check the regs .... Wolf is not open in Sept ...

one of us
Picture of BOWHUNR
posted Hide Post
I did the do it yourself hunt in 1988 with four friends of mine. We hunted on POW island and shot nine nice bears, and one great bear in seven days time (you were allowed two per tag in 88). We rented the cabin from Alaska F&G for a whopping $85.00 per week. Because of the number of hunters and food, gear, etc... we needed two float planes (one Beaver and one Super Beaver) to get us in and out. We arranged this through Mike at Ketchikan air for a total cost of $1200.00. We brought an inflatable zodiac and 3.0 horse motor to use both in the salt water and the lake. At that time there were so many bears the boat would not have been needed, however it was real handy to go and fetch the crab traps (which we purchased in Ketch)!! As I remember we spent a little less than $1000.00 a piece (airfare to Ketchikan included) on that hunt, and what a great time it was!! I have no idea what the prices would be today, but I can almost assure you the charter air rates have more than doubled. I have been on alot of hunts since then, but I will never forget the personal satisfaction we all had by doing it ourselves. On a side note, the fishing was second to none. We hunted in the fall and the humpies were running. Not much for eating IMO, but great fun to catch. I think the five of us went through 60 green pixie lures as we were fishing with ultra light gear.

BOWHUNR

P.S. The game warden almost crapped his pants when we showed up in town with ten bears to check, and a flight leaving in an hour and a half. He was happy though, as they were receiving complaints from fishermen using the cabins.

NEVER BOOK A HUNT WITH JEFF BLAIR AT BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING!

Posts: 636 | Location: Omaha, NE U.S.A. | Registered: 28 April 2001Reply With Quote