THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    Phil Shoemaker in Field and Stream

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Phil Shoemaker in Field and Stream
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Geeez Phil, you are really getting to be famous. Read the prose about you in the current issue of Field & Stream tonight while grilling a nice ribeye by the pool (no, that water won't freeze).

Really enjoyed it...different.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7574 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
You might not know it by that piece but Bill Heavey is really quite a good and thoughtful writer. His piece on the last page of that issue titled "On The Trail" should be included as required reading for Hunter Ed courses.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4202 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll have to grab that one off the magazine rack next time I am in the bookstore.

Posts: 78 | Location: Perkinston, MS | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 458Win:
You might not know it by that piece but Bill Heavey is really quite a good and thoughtful writer. His piece on the last page of that issue titled "On The Trail" should be included as required reading for Hunter Ed courses.

Bill Heavey is a great writer - very funny when he wants to be as well.

Posts: 7574 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I stopped by the bookstore and read the article today. I was impressed by your landing in heavy winds Phil. That had to be hairy. I also liked the great big tires on your plane. Those suckers ought to get the job done. I have a hunch you have some even better client stories than those you shared.

Posts: 78 | Location: Perkinston, MS | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Paul, I have been at it so long that I tend to only remember stories where everyone and everything turns out OK.
Which is one of the reasons why we don't have our own "reality" show.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot

One of Us
Picture of Abob
posted Hide Post
His kids are almost as good. Haven't flown with Tia but have logged a few hours with Taj. To get in to and out of the Homestead, you have to be good.

Jim

fur, feathers, & meat in the freezersalute
"Pass it on to your kids"

Posts: 822 | Location: Palmer, Alaska | Registered: 22 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Over the years I have come to know quite a few charter boat captains because of my work with the Coast Guard. Every one of them has some interesting client stories to tell. At first glance, from the outside, we tend to see guiding (be it hunting or fishing) as a glamour dream job. It is hard work and demands a level of patience I never have had. Each one of those guides that I have spoken to also had stories about the kind of clients that make it all worth while.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rather than a Shoemaker reality show, I'd put my money on Rocky's Famous Cookies! Now that would be a money-maker.

Posts: 20139 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
I have yet to see anything approaching "real" on those TV shows ---- but Rocky's cookies really are UNREAL

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never under estimate the power of a cookie. I used to take a propane oven on hunts with me along with a bag of my wife's cookie dough. When my pilots landed I always had fresh gooey cookies for them. They went from telling me "I'll be there before noon", to "I'll be there at 10:17!" They liked their cookies hot.

Master guide #212
Black River Hunting Camps llc
www.alaska-bearhunting.com

Posts: 1396 | Location: Big lake alaska | Registered: 11 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I gotta wonder how those folks on the reality shows have survived more than a month for the most part..I get a kick out of their horsemanship and cattle knowledge, and the girls that shoot right handed using their left eye with a 300 Win. Mag..Oh I could go on and on, but Im thinking that's the most entertaining part of the shows, I just don't know where the reality comes in.. jumping

That said, Phil is the real deal and I consider him a good friend in every respect, as well as the most successful Master guide in Alaska.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41970 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
I gotta wonder how those folks on the reality shows have survived more than a month for the most part..I get a kick out of their horsemanship and cattle knowledge, and the girls that shoot right handed using their left eye with a 300 Win. Mag..Oh I could go on and on, but Im thinking that's the most entertaining part of the shows, I just don't know where the reality comes in.. jumping

That said, Phil is the real deal and I consider him a good friend in every respect, as well as the most successful Master guide in Alaska.

Ray:

The reminds me of a time when my better half accompanied me on a pack string elk hunt. We flew into Moose Creek where we met our outfitter, whom I have hunted with several times. As they were getting the gear lashed on to the horses, she pitched in to help. I told her to just stand back, that if we tried tying those knots we would simply embarrass ourselves and slow down the whole process.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Of course, us Southern boys never used pack saddles and if we did we hung a pannier over the cross bars and filled it up with sweets and beer, no need for knots and tarps, most of us never saw rain until we were in our teens! and all the deer we packed were across our lap in the saddle!! shocker

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41970 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote