THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    Where have all the 10' brown bears gone? Here's one.

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Where have all the 10' brown bears gone? Here's one.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Keith Chambers took a huge brown bear on the Alaska Peninsula. This bear squared over 10 1/2'. I guess you don't have to go to Kamchatka to take a true giant. There are still a few left in Alaska.
At least there were. To see what a giant looks like, click the link below.

http://www.huntingreport.com/trophy_gallery.cfm?id=308

Posts: 207 | Location: Florida | Registered: 28 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I still believe that the next record will come off the penn. Dont get me wrong, there are still monsters in the SE and kodiak, but the penn is where its gonna be at.

A lesson in irony

The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing this year the greatest amount of free Meals and Food Stamps ever, to 46 million people.

Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us... "Please Do Not Feed the Animals." Their stated reason for the policy is because "The animals will grow dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."

Thus ends today's lesson in irony.

Posts: 1626 | Location: Michigan but dreaming of my home in AK | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
Very nice bear. thumb

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
Do you know when this slug was killed?

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
We had 1 pass through here a couple of days ago!

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1409 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
That is one nice bear.

According to Ak F&G records there have been only four or five bears taken on the pennisula since 1961 with skull that measured over 30 inches. The three largest went 30 8/16".

It is possible the next record will come from the penninsua there but that little extra on the zygomatic arch of the biggest bears on Kodiak always seems to tip the balance in their favor.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4198 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
WOW!
That is a BIG Bear.. For sure.

Don

one of us
Picture of jbderunz
posted Hide Post
Dagga boy

Your opinion : what's the whole height of a such bear when standing with arms stretched up or say.. how high can he claw a tree for example or pick a guy sheltered up a tree?

By the way the only tremendous bear I saw was the one exposed in a large outdoors shop (don't remember its name) in Anchorage, which size's this brownie?

J B de Runz
Be careful when blindly following the masses ... generally the "m" is silent

Posts: 1727 | Location: France, Alsace, Saverne | Registered: 24 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Antlers,

He was taken this past spring, around mid-May.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
jbderunz,

I'm just guessing, but I'd think around 14'. I doubt I could climb high enough, fast enough. That's why I like big rifles.

I'll bet there are some guides or experienced hunters out there who can comment on this. I'd like to know myself.

one of us
Picture of MuskegMan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Joel/AK:
there are still monsters in the SE

Doubtfull . . .

Talked to a guy at work yesterday who was recently in Cold Bay. One of the locals said a 12-footer was taken this year.

Posts: 2097 | Location: S.E. Alaska | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of HARDBALLER
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MuskegMan:
quote:
Originally posted by Joel/AK:
there are still monsters in the SE

Doubtfull . . .

Talked to a guy at work yesterday who was recently in Cold Bay. One of the locals said a 12-footer was taken this year.
LOL...Heck I could probably stretch one to 14.

Posts: 194 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 08 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
12 foot? Remember, you have to to divide by two.

What was the skull measurement according to AK F&G?

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4198 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
There are plenty of 10' sq. bears on the A B C ,s and the mainland also in Southeast .. I have seen 3 different bears in the 10 ft. plus range , one of them at around 70 feet, on all 4 ,s his hump was eye level with me standing in the way he wanted to go ,,,,,,,,.....

I love to do that Smiler .. Man he was big ....
Lot of people don,t know how big a big bear really is ..........
The thing with Southeast bears is they don,t have those big jug heads that the Kodiak and Peninsula bears do ... ............ I can,t imagine how big a 12 ft sq. bear would be ....

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A 12footer would be nice to see.

we have extensions on my wifes rugging table for 10 foot bears and thats impressive. a 12 footer would be huge beyond words.

A lesson in irony

The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing this year the greatest amount of free Meals and Food Stamps ever, to 46 million people.

Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us... "Please Do Not Feed the Animals." Their stated reason for the policy is because "The animals will grow dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."

Posts: 1626 | Location: Michigan but dreaming of my home in AK | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gumboot458,

That has to be an experience beyond words. I've been real close to a black bear here in Florida and it was a rush. I can only imagine what it must be like to be that close to a huge brownie.
They're impressive at a distance.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
jbderunz

I just talked with an outfitter buddy up on Chichagof. He says a 10-10 1/2' bear should be able to reach about 13'. He says they'll sometimes see claw marks a little higher, but have to wonder if the bear was on bare ground or snow when they did it.

It's always interesting to speculate.

one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
The measurements are indeed large.

What always makes me crazy though is the standing behind the bear for the picture. Who ever started that should be slapped. Looking at the picture I see the bears head is as big as a 200 pound man! That bear must be 3000 pounds at least! Here we have the next internet bear. Roll Eyes What is the standard amount to stand behind a bear, 1 foot, 2 feet ,3 feet?

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Remember this picture that made the rounds on the internet a number of years ago? Anyone know the real story behind it (there was a photo of a partially eaten man as well, but I will spare you)? How big the bear was? The head appears enormous. But, the guy is sitting quite a distance behind him.......

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That bear that ted shot was an honest 10'5". Shot in the head with a 338winny. Went in under one of the eyes (cany remember which one for sureanymore) and the bullet lodged in the brain. Atleast that was according to my friend Jim who was with ted on this hunt.

A lesson in irony

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
I'll make this a separate thread as I would love to find the origins of this bear......

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RMiller:
The measurements are indeed large.

What always makes me crazy though is the standing behind the bear for the picture. Who ever started that should be slapped. Looking at the picture I see the bears head is as big as a 200 pound man! That bear must be 3000 pounds at least! Here we have the next internet bear. Roll Eyes What is the standard amount to stand behind a bear, 1 foot, 2 feet ,3 feet?

....... rotflmo thumb animal........ I couldn,t agree more ...... ...

At least they should pick up it,s paw and hold it next to their mug ..

Good , Dead Brown bear pictures that I have seen .
Grizzly Skins of Alaska , ad with Phil with his 416 standing next to a huge dead bear ..
Jake Jefferson posted a couple of a couple huge bears , my fav was one where the hunter is leaningon the bear and it looks bigger than a cord of wood .....

But the best , is that monster bear on Kodiak , It had 2 guys in the pic , one holding it,s head ,. I forget who posted it , it,s the bear they shot with the 30 /378 , but finished it off with the 458 win ...

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jim Z.
posted Hide Post
Big BEAR! That hunter looks like he could fit in that bear's belley just fine! shocker

*we band of 45-70ers*
Whiskey for my men & beer for my horses!

Malon Labe!

Posts: 235 | Location: Oregon Territory | Registered: 16 November 2007Reply With Quote