Find
Notify
Tools

Best gun shops in Anchorage
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted
We like the older ones with all the neat stuff,Not the Bass Pro type with all the new crap!Smiler Thanks!

"That's not a knife..THIS is a KNIFE" !

Posts: 6572 | Location: NEW ORLEANS / CAJUN COUNTRY!!! | Registered: 05 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anchorage has lots of sporting goods stores with guns.....

But as I was reminded by the staff at Great Northern Guns one day "there are no other GUN stores in Anchorage". I was amused till I realized that he was right, and I couldn't think of another store that sold guns and accessories as its only business.

They're good folks with a wide selection of new and used guns. Inventory can change rapidly...give them a call if you want anything in particular.

Cheers,

Dan

Posts: 430 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 02 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great Northern Guns is the best of them. For a long time, they had a .600 Nitro single in there and they often have interesting doubles.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted Hide Post
I have heard of them and WILL be there next Sat afternoon! thanks!!!

Posts: 6572 | Location: NEW ORLEANS / CAJUN COUNTRY!!! | Registered: 05 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
GNG does have a real nice selection of guns, I wont deal with them.

I havent been in that shop for a number of years and until they get rid of that fat arrogant bastard (we all know him) I wont step foot in that place.

He still there cuz I have a friend (hes southern) was in there recently and the individual kept on referring to him as huckleberry. I think its true but my buddy took insult to it.

Good shop with a big selection but I just cant bring myself to shop there.

A lesson in irony

The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing this year the greatest amount of free Meals and Food Stamps ever, to 46 million people.

Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us... "Please Do Not Feed the Animals." Their stated reason for the policy is because "The animals will grow dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."

Thus ends today's lesson in irony.

Posts: 1626 | Location: Michigan but dreaming of my home in AK | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I started to laugh when I read your post. I know EXACTLY who you are talking about. The funny thing is that I have never heard anyone say anything good about him.

One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
.....Boondocks in Eagle River is pretty great ...

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Come on now, Yaag is a good enough fellow. I think a lot of the time he is just joking around and people don't understand his sense of humor. I like everyone there. He is head and shoulders ahead of that eastern A_hole that works at Wild West Guns. The guys at boondocks are pretty cool too though. Definately Great Northern is the one to check out.

Posts: 671 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think I have been to every gun shop in Anchorage, Wasilla and Fairbanks but I have never been to Boondocks. I need to check them out.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Come on bear, your not to fond of Ken? <grins>

It took me about 6 years to understand his personality.I know what your talking about though. Only reason I even use them is because of there head smith, but now he quit. When they finish my 9.3, I'm pretty much done with them.

Yukon, I have a heard time believing you have never been to boondocks. They have some good prices.

A lesson in irony

The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing this year the greatest amount of free Meals and Food Stamps ever, to 46 million people.

Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us... "Please Do Not Feed the Animals." Their stated reason for the policy is because "The animals will grow dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."

Thus ends today's lesson in irony.

Posts: 1626 | Location: Michigan but dreaming of my home in AK | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, one of these days we should meet there and then have lunch or dinner. We need to do an AR get together sometime.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
y.d.

I too have been to Boondocks in Eagle River, nice gun store but muy expensive.

Wild West guns has lousy customer service from my experience. y.m.m.v.

Cold Zero

one of us
posted Hide Post
That "ken" is a big reason I won't shoot at rabbit creek range anymore either. Absolutely the worst cumter service at any gun shop I've ever been too. If it wasn't for WWG after market parts being so nice I would never go there.

Posts: 671 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can't stand WWG but it's a personality thing mostly.

Cold Zero, check your old PM's man. We were going to visit and never arranged comms.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
the bear78, if you don't own a guide gun, then there should never be a reason to go to w.w.g.. dancing

Y.D.;
i replied with a p.o.c., you are invited to use it.

Cold Zero

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ditto on WWG....

Quite annoying and very poor customer service....I ended up picking up a rifle I'd left with them for 6 weeks when they couldn't tell me when they'd be able to get to it and didn't seem interested in trying....not even to estimate when they'd get around to it. This was just for a recoil pad and replacement floorplate.....

Good products in thier nitch....

Cheers,

Dan

Posts: 430 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 02 March 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I think it's been close to 10 years since I've been to WWG, again I couldn't put up with the attitude. I'm also not a fan of Great Northern Ego's, but they sometimes have some neat stuff on the used rack or the bargain table.

We've gotten our past few guns at Boondocks, and there always seems to be some powders on sale. Hmm, I haven't stopped by there in awhile, guess it's about time.

There is an antique store by the Captain Cook Hotel (4th & L I think) that has some double rifles and other neat stuff in the back.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paul H:
I think it's been close to 10 years since I've been to WWG, again I couldn't put up with the attitude. I'm also not a fan of Great Northern Ego's, but they sometimes have some neat stuff on the used rack or the bargain table.

We've gotten our past few guns at Boondocks, and there always seems to be some powders on sale. Hmm, I haven't stopped by there in awhile, guess it's about time.

There is an antique store by the Captain Cook Hotel (4th & L I think) that has some double rifles and other neat stuff in the back.

Ok how do you get to Boondocks, lets say from Merril Field??? jumping

Posts: 2357 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Head out on the Glenn and take the S ER exit, first exit after crossing the river. Veer to the R on the exit (you'll want to be in the left lane as the right lane heads up ER road) Note this has to be the most convaluted intersection in the state.

Anyhow, take the old Glenn Hwy to Eagle River Loop road and make a R heading up ER loop. It's a few hundred feet up on your left.

one of us
posted Hide Post
WWG.....

There is this OBNOXIOUS New Yorker that works there I don't know the SOB's name but he just about got bitch slapped lat time I was there.

He is the same SOB who runs around the internet by the name of "Wildalaska".

They do have some cool stuff in there however.

Great Northern Guns is one of my all time favorite gun stores in the world. Yes there is some major attitude but, just keep in mind that these guys are nothing more than the king of the gun store commandos.

It's actually kind of funny when you look at it from that stand point. Enjoy the rifles there are some real dandy shooting iron at GNG's.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Interesting that you mention attitude. I have seen more of that behind gun store counters than I have in any other business...seriously.

Hey, when you guys from out of state come through up here let the locals know. We can meet at GNG or wherever and have lunch. I work about 5 minutes from there. If I can make it I will go.

One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
....Chimo,s is real nice in Wasilla . .,.,I have only talked to the guy @ WWG , that was enough for me ...There used to be a place called the Gun and Ammo shop in Anch .. I bought a mint 16 year old Ruger #1 in 375 there in 88 or 89 . Nothing fancy but a nice shop .. Don,t know if it ever exists anymore ...

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The jerk at WWG almost jumped down my throat when I stopped in to inquire if they had a 257W reamer for a No1 25-06 I wanted to rechamber. He ranted on and on about how rugers in general and No1's in particular were junk. Funny, I hadn't asked his opinion. They also took 13 MONTHS to finish a '6 week' barrel job they subbed out.

On the other hand, I bought a 375 from GNG when I lived in the bush, and when I walked into the store several months later I was greeted by name. I almost fell over. A few years later a DR I had shipped through their FFL was stolen (later recovered) and they were very helpful providing records/proof of ownership. I've since bought a DR, 30-06, a couple of revolvers, and all of my ammo there. I won't set foot in WWG. Quite the contrast in terms of customer service.

YD, that is a great idea! Most everyone hunting/fishing AK goes through Anchorage. If you have a day to kill coming or going post a message and let's set something up.

Bob

DRSS

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat?"

"PS. To add a bit of Pappasonian philosophy: this single barrel stuff is just a passing fad. Bolt actions and single shots will fade away as did disco, the hula hoop, and bell-bottomed pants. Doubles will rule the world!"

Posts: 812 | Location: MT | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For those who are interested in something like this and might have time for the occasional meet and greet, we should put some cell numbers and emails together offline. That way whoever knows about an opportunity can email or call the others. I'm game if anyone else is?

I would like to do a little get together anyway. We could swap lies, uh stories, share hunt photos or videos and eat something like fried halibut. I've got video of my elephant hunt I could show and I'm sure that many of you have something interesting like that.

one of us
posted Hide Post
That sounds like a really good idea YD

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great idea!

Count me in.

Dan

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Count me in. I'm also usually able to sneak in a range session during lunch at Rabbit Creek.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
GNG is a great place to look at guns....I haven't bought a gun there for a while but I always need some ammo or components that they have.

You never really know what will be on the racks...one time a friend of mine was looking for a new-to-him Side by side shotgun. They kindly opened the diplay case and he looked around. He handed me a very nice 12 gauge, great wood, very nice blue,fit and finish was great, man the wood is nice... $1195???....I looked at the barrel to see maker...Westley Richards...looked at the tag again $11,950!!! I carefully put the gun into the case and told my buddy do NOT hand me $12,000 shotguns!!! He is a little farsighted and didn't notice the price. I also saw a HEYM bolt action 600NE there once.....one of the guys said it was the 3rd or 4th time they had it for sale.

Gun stores seem to have more than their share of cantakerous people....some of those guys aren't too bad once you get to know them, some are always jerks.

-phil

Posts: 126 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 07 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I remember that .600 Heym. It was there for awhile.

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
GNG has even had some runs of custom guns made. They had Hamilton Bowen makd them five 505 Gibbs on the Ruger magnum bolt action. I was sorely tempted to buy the last one. They also had Freedom Arms make one of the finest 454 casulls I've ever shot, 5 1/2" barrel rounbutted frame with green laminated grips and magnaported. Too bad I didn't have the coin to buy one off my shooting partner.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The Ruger Gibbs would have been interesting. I might visit with Hamilton about that.

I know Dennis Madriaga had one of those FA's for awhile.

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Yup, that would be Dennis' gun.

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
The place he'd want to go to is in the antique shop next to the court house on 4th Ave.
It's not open all the time, alot of by appointment only. 1001w 4th 278-4570
http://www.rooseveltroom.com/

I'm not connected to them

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
GNG has some really good deals from time to time in the used gun rack and they have a good variety of guns. Plus I have checked out the 600 heym when they had it and the 505 gibbs ruger when they had those.

They get a couple nice doubles from time to time also.

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I finally got by Boondockers. It was ok but they had very little used guns. To me, that's the whole point of going to a gun shop. I have my own FFL and don't need to buy anything new from someone else. They were friendly though.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you go to Juneau go to Rayco Sales.Its an awesome gun shopp.I picked up a cherry Model 1894 madse in 1905 in 25-35 winchester for $125.Ray the owner is awesome to talk to.I even got to check out the up stairs part of the store.It was the place I hug out when I lived in Juneau.

Posts: 2534 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Rabbit Creek
posted Hide Post
My two cents, firstly I thought Joel worked at WWG??
As mentioned, the Gun Room/Antique store has a nice selection of pricey collectibles and the occasional
bargain (scored a SAA John Wayne!).
GNG can be like the weather in Colorado, depends on if Joe is around and if he's in a mood.
I've had several folks mention my own experience of being "invisible" the very next day after buying a thousand dollar toy. We put up with it because after all it is THE gunshop in Los Anchorage.
WWG, after meeting dozens of people buying guns in other shops that said they were tossed out of WWG, including Tom Greshum the Sunday AM radio gun talk host, it's has frankly amazed me that nobody has bitch slapped the jersey lawyer yet!
BTW, no mention of The New Gun Traders? Lots of quality used stuff as well as new. In the very same mall, there's Alaska Tactical the machine gun headquarters!

Posts: 29 | Location: Anchorage AK | Registered: 17 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was in Alaska Tactical and GNG this week. I do like talking to Frank at GNG. He is pleasant.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
GNG has a good selection. A little story here that is funny and scary at the same time. On the Old Seward hiway there is a store called Great Guns(pretty much across the street from WWGuns)In 1994 I was in that store looking at a 300 H&H on an Interarms MK X, noticed a guy came in with a stainless handgun to hock or sell, the guy behind the counter made a deal, exchanged money and the fellow left. There were now 4 of us in the store, me and people that worked there, the younger guy still was looking at the handgun, lady was doing books in the corner, older guy went in the back. I turned around to put the rifle i was fondleing back into the rack, and KABOOM! First words out of my mouth was what the f###? The handgun taken in was loaded and the younger guy tried the trigger, shooting a hole through the wall, bathroom I believe(where the older gentleman had earlier retreated) I headed for the door and thanked my lucky stars! The store was still there in 2000, so I dropped in and asked the older gentleman if he remembered, oh yes, that was my son- smile.

One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted Hide Post
wWe went to GNG and I was Impressed,Great selection,reasonble prices and did I say,tons of guns!Now thats a Gunshop! Met Joe the owner for 40 yrs (I think thats what he said) and hes a prince...Good thing I dont live closer!I'd be more broke!....Be sure to visit them!