New
Find
Notify
Tools

Late May Black Bear Success
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi All/ had a great hunt with Guide Eli Lucas out of Petersburg. Hunted 3-5 on his 50' Boat. I took a 6-8 bear from 140 yds on day 2. Used a Hornady 225 Interbond for my .338; Took out the shoulder blade, but didn't get penetration through to the other side. Bullet deflected up & out above the spine! Not happy about that. May try Swift A-Frame next time.Recovered a 2nd bullet that quartered from rib to off side hind quarter; that retained 89% perfect mushroom just under hide. Third was a neck shot that finally did the trick. Hunting partner tok a nece 7'1" on day 3, also at 140 yds, this with a 7mm Mag Short through both lungs. Wish I knew how to share the picx with you, but can't figure out how to/ Chaz

Posts: 279 | Location: michigan | Registered: 12 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on the hunt! I would try the A Frames or Barnes TSX next time.

To post photos you need to create a photobucket account. Then upload the photos to it. Once the photos are uploaded go to the gallery and hold your arrow over the picture. A bar will come down. In the last (I think 4th) slot there's text that you will copy paste into this thread. You also can go to the African hunting report forum and look at the first topic which is a description of posting photos.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
..Chaz; Eli is a friend I,m very glad you had a good hunt with him ...Did you hunt on Mitkof , ? Kupreanof ? POW? The mainland ??

I always get amazed when I read recommendations for black bear rifles ...... As you saw , we have some big black bears here .... What brand bullet were you using in the 338 ? . A real good 338 Win load is the Federal High Energy 250 Nosler Partition load . They really go 2800 fps .

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi gumboot 458/ shot a Hornady INTERBOND 225. 72.0 of H4831SC over Win LRM & RP once fired brass. Very accurate load in my Ruger stainless. Hunted mainland first day, Kuiu next 2 days. I used the Swift 250 for my brownie & figured it would be overkill for a black bear. Eli is a great guide & a fine person. I will return with him in 2011. I liked your article in Alaskan Prof Hunter; you write well. I will send you a PM if you don't mind/ Chaz

Posts: 279 | Location: michigan | Registered: 12 July 2005Reply With Quote