THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    snow camo warm overall hunting clothes

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

snow camo warm overall hunting clothes
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
So i will ask from here because i think in alaska is lots of hunters who really want and need warm hunting clothes at winter time.

And clothes what i need is overall snow camo hunting clothes. I use it in hunting in winter time and weather can easily be then from -20 to -30 degrees celsius. And hunting is mostly waiting and standing in forest so really warm clothes is necessary. I usually use snowmobile clothes but problem is those makes really bad noice when move so its not so good.

So could you recommed some clothes for big men 192cm and 130kg, gladly overall style, REALLY warm, snow camo and quiet when need move like lift gun up. Ofcourse some cover indside what keep water outside is good but not necessary. Mostly use is really only short walt and standing long time or sit in open tower and waiting of game coming.

Stalins 2 biggest nightmare -If chinese learn fight like Finnish or Finnish start makes baby like Chinese...

Posts: 73 | Location: Finland | Registered: 12 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just use the thin over cloths under my warm cloths. Also I will get a cheap white bed sheet and cut a hold from my head and use that when im sitting on the ground and waiting. It seems to work well for me.

Posts: 89 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: 21 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ukko:
So i will ask from here because i think in alaska is lots of hunters who really want and need warm hunting clothes at winter time.

And clothes what i need is overall snow camo hunting clothes. I use it in hunting in winter time and weather can easily be then from -20 to -30 degrees celsius. And hunting is mostly waiting and standing in forest so really warm clothes is necessary. I usually use snowmobile clothes but problem is those makes really bad noice when move so its not so good.

So could you recommed some clothes for big men 192cm and 130kg, gladly overall style, REALLY warm, snow camo and quiet when need move like lift gun up. Ofcourse some cover indside what keep water outside is good but not necessary. Mostly use is really only short walt and standing long time or sit in open tower and waiting of game coming.

UKKO,
I'm posting a previous thread about cold weather clothing from here on Accurate Reloading.
There is much good info inthe thread which can help you.
I made the first post at the top and signed it "Don". Others followed.
In the mean time I'll look for more warm clothing threads I have saved to my computer. We have very cold weather here, and that is why I am interested in clothing for cold hunting.

Don

http://forums.accuratereloadin.../8521043/m/319108577

The majority of heat loss from the body is in the head, neck, tops of the shoulders and spinal column area. Heavy insulation is required here, and good face masks. The kidney warmers keep the lower back warm. Gloves with good insulation, with long gauntlets, and boots are important. I use the best boots available for extreme cold. I place a scarf over my mouth to keep freezing air out of my lungs. Foot warmers, and hand warmers are also important. I place a hand warmer inside my coat near my heart too. Drink lots of water.

Don

I live in California now, but have lived in cold climates. To add to what has been said, food and hydration are critical. Figure on 3,500 to 4,500 calories per day, and stay away from alcohol and caffine. For food, go with complex carbohyrates and protein.

Additonal insulation at the lower back is specifically to keep the kidneys warm, thru which all of your blood flows; I know this because of my vast experience with the icy winters here in the SF Bay Area, where it often drops into the low 30's, or even the high 20's, every winter

Regards,
Craig Nolan

Good advice on clothing and particularly carb intake. Depending on your needs, for footwear you could get bunny boots if for work but I really like mukluks otherwise. I regularly wear various sets of Steger mukluks (http://www.mukluks.com/) down to 60 plus below with smartwool socks and that's it. They only weigh about 2 lbs each with their felt liners, which feels great compared to pac boots or bunny boots. Smartwool socks, balaclavas, hats, glove liners, long underwear, etc. is all top notch and very popular up here.

Some of the best outwear I have found is by Canada Goose.
http://www.canada-goose.com/pr...ducts.aspx?Class=Men

Gents!
I have found out that the best material so far when it gets cold is 100% wool and nothing else. It beats the crap of synthetics and cotton.
It still keeps you warm when it is moist, can be freze dried and keeps you warm for several days in a row without changing clothes. It does not catch fire easily, it cleans itself and does not stain too easily. 1 pair of liner gloves inside the mittens for short time "fine mechanic" work.
I use a Gator neoprene face mask, clear goggles a good "bear pussy" (as it is called here, directly transferred from crude/raw swedish, it is big, wet, smelly and very hairy...) skin hat that is windproof and warm. I also use a snowmobile flotation suit when on the snowmobile, together with a back protector that also keeps the back and kidneys warm.

Why keeping the kidneys warm?
Because when the body gets colder, the kidneys are over-activated, and starts to produce lots and lots of urine, making you loose fluids faster and faster, and it takes a lot of energy just to keep that pee 37°C, and the colder you get, the more the kidneys try to produce....
so, therefore, keep the kidneys warm and nice and you dont have to pee that often.
Make sure you drink a lot of warm sweet (just a little salt) drinks without any caffeine (no coffee or tea as it is diuretic) with vitamin C.
It takes energy to warm food, so make sure you eat warm meals, and dont skip the fat. You need all the energy you can get when the shit hits the fan in a blizzard in midwinter.
On tours in high arctic environments, you always eat as if the meal were the last one. I have many times only managed to get one warm meal / day when it has been busy, although it was planned for 3 meals originally and then you make sure you eat to stand atleast one more day on the things in your belly.
Also, I always keep enough food and clothes on my person to survive 24 hours without anything else than what I am wearing, have an extra facemask/balaklava inside the suit together with extra gloves/mittens/goggles/windbreaker hat. That means I have a piece of dried reindeer or moose meat in one pocket, a bag of mixed nuts and dried fruits in another, a 1/2 lbs salami in a chest pocket, a 200 gram chocholate bar as well as 1-2 pints of blackcurrant juice/lemonade inside the suit.

Yes, i look like the michelin man, but if the snowmobile is caught on fire (has happened more than once) or the gearbox is broken down, or goes through the sea ice or any other calamity that leaves you alone in the middle of nowhere, I can atleast walk back in the tracks and know that I will make atleast one night and a day without too much troubles.

If you are out on a longer trip on skies, you will bring a tent and a primus kitchen, and then you have a big backpack, and thats a totally different condition than to manage extreme cold.
You have to eat less if you eat more fat, but to digest the fat you need to have a good intake of carbohydrates too. When working 16 hrs shifts with 1 warm meal / day at 78-79°N we skipped the veggies and went for better nutrients in eggs, meat, fat, slow carbs (whole grain stuff).

There are lots and lots to tell about this, but one last thing is that when things go wrong, THINK FIRST, THINK TWICE, then act.
If you are not completely clear on how you will do all things that are needed, you will waste energy and start to sweat for a bad reason. When you are done, you are all wet and exhausted, and then the troubles start. Avoid to sweat and you are much better off! Work slowly and in an even pace, do not stress things. There will be times when you find a 1" thick ice armour inside your shoes or jacket, but dont worry, it can be removed quite easily by prying it loose or whacking it to pieces, and then the clothes are dry again.

In Life/death emergencies it is of course needed to act swiftly and accurately, rather than sitting back and think about it for a few hours.... but thats kind of obvious...

Thats all for now...
Phew, a long one that above...

Sincerely
Daniel Location: 68°N, Lapland Sweden |

The reason why I choose wool is because I start to freeze with other materials while wool has always kept me warm. if it is 100% merino wool, it does not itch either. Have that as the first layer and it works in both dry and wet cold.

Down
Down is good just as long as it is dry.
When enough moisture is trapped in the sleeping bag or jacket, it just becomes a ice armour that slowly cools you down. I would guess a week trip is about what a down product can withstand without loosing too much insolation. Then it needs to dry completely. They also gets very heavy when it is cold, and hard to pack.
The more extreme sleeping bags have moisture traps to avoid build-up of ice inside them. Make sure you maintain and care for the sleeping bag in a good way. I had a -55°C sleeping bag on a trip where we slept in a snow cave (+-0°C) and I were freezing like a dog, shaking all night. That sleeping bag was probably washed too much.

Beards
A beard helps you avoid frostbites if you are without a face mask, since the exhaled air will create icicles in the beard instead of on your skin.trapped air between beard and skin makes it warmer too. avoid any kind of zippers on the first layer since they get tangled in the beard and transport cold to the body.

How to take a breath in extreme cold?
I have found the best way to do it is to take slow deep breaths trough the mouth. When it is that cold your nostrils freeze shut if you try to breath through the nose (happens around -23°C for me). The facemask really helps here too. you will have a ice plate around the nose and mouth, and the incoming air is a bit warmed. Another way is to keep a scarf or bandana infront of the mouth and breath through it. That will freeze too in a while, make sure you have several of those. I have not had a problem to take breaths down to -50°C so far.

Hypothermia can come any time of the year, and is especially likely when you are forced to be idle, or in cold conditions, these things multiply with eachother for rapid escalation of severity in a bad situation.
On the other hand, I would take bone dry cold over wet cold any day. The wet coldness on the arctic pack ice is far worse than the dry cold of an ice cap.

For shoes, I have used the Sorel Glacier mukluks and these are good to have when it is really cold. The bad thing with these is that it will be a build-up of ice between the felt sole and the outer boot. It can be scraped off with a metal spoon though. 5 days and you have to clean it.
Same thing goes with the baffin shoes. So, there is some maintenance needed in the field too if you are out there for a longer time.

Diesel and petrol start to freeze too when it is really cold, making the engines run badly. The military band wagons usually stop operating at -50 to -55°C, and when it is that cold, I prefer to be indoors....

Sincerely
Daniel Location: 68°N, Lapland Sweden | Registered: 16 March 2005

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Listed are some links to places that sell cold weather clothing. I think it helps to read as much as possible before buying cold weather items, esp boots and gloves.

https://www.cloudveil.com/

http://www.wiggys.com/

http://www.raberglove.com/products09.html

http://www.ableammo.com/

http://www.glmerc.com/sleeping/ted.htm

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I find that a thin 2 piece white set that will go over my appropriate for outside temperature warm clothing works best for me. In the US, military over-whites are excellent (if you can find them). I had a set made up from white polyester pile--a coat with a hood that fits over the standard US Military extreme cold weather parka (really noisy)that makes it real quiet in the woods. Local seamstress made mine, from a set of sewing plans I got at Walmart. I would not invest in a white insulated coat, but rather the outer covering.

I had the opportunity to meet and talk with some Finnish Army officers while I was in US service, they really had the cold/snow camo skills well developed from experience. Talk to a Finnish or Swedish soldier if you can.
Shotgun

Posts: 111 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 30 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DMB:
Listed are some links

Thanks for the links. I agree about the Raber Military mitts, they are a great piece of kit.

FYI, the link above is not working.

Cold Zero

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cold zero:
quote:
Listed are some links

Thanks for the links. I agree about the Raber Military mitts, they are a great piece of kit.

Thanks for the heads up on the link.

Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by cold zero:
quote:
Listed are some links

No worries. We are all trying to stay warm. Wink

Thanks for the heads up on the link.

Don

Cold Zero