New
Find
Notify
Tools

bullet recovered from caribou
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I went for a boat ride with a co-worker up to his cabin after work a few weeks ago and took my rifle just in case i got a chase at a moose or caribou.
after a 30-45 min boat ride we arrived at his cabin on the hill , we had 360 deg views of the surrounding area . we where watching the smaller groups of bulls though the spotting scope but they where to far off to go after .
as we where getting ready to leave we spotted a group of about 25 caribou about 600 yds from the cabin whit a few nice round one's in it , so we headed off useing the cover of the trees and brush to hide us until it was just open trundra between us and caribou . we waited by the last bit of brush until they got wit in 275yds , I asked my friend if he was sure he wanted me to shoot one to which he said shoot the big round one in the front , i got set in a good rest and ask again if he was sure he said yep so i dropped the big round one in the front ,put another round in the chamber and asked if he wanted anthere he no no thats enough we need to hurry and get it to the beach to get out of there before dark . I hit the caribou high in the back bone quarting towards me with a 300 win mag 180 ballistic silvertip . we found the bullet as we field dressed it laying next to the ribs . here is the link the pic of the bullet and how much it weighed .
http://picasaweb.google.com/fordfanatic1968

remember the 2% rule you must be 2% smarter then what you are trying to do

Posts: 85 | Location: Kotzebue, Alaska | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice shooting.

The caribou meat I have eaten [pre rut] was very good.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing.
I always liked the way the Nosler solid based bullets were designed. Even if the core comes out the base of the jacket is still a good sized hunk of metal.

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
fordfanatic

Good shooting!!!
Thanks for the report and the pix.

Don